Will the 20" iMac PPC still be there in April?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yogamonkey, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

    yogamonkey

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #1
    Last month I switched from Windows to Mac with a new iBook which I think is amazing. I really like the iMacs and was planning on buying a 20" (PPC version) in April once I've had a holiday etc. But now that the price has come down, and the 17"s are gone, I'm worried that there won't be any 20"s left by then.

    Do you think they will still be around in April or should I just bite the bullet and get one now while they are at a good price?

    Cheers
    Paul
     
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #2
    I don't think you'll easily find them come the end of February (and mind you, February is a short month ;) ).
     
  3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

    Josh396

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2004
    Location:
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    #3
    I think they'll be sold out by then but you may be able to find some refurbs on Apples site every now and then. However, if you plan on waiting a little bit why not pick up an Intel iMac? By then I would think we'll see a lot more apps that are universal and it should last you a little longer.
     
  4. yogamonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

    yogamonkey

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #4
    I like the thought of the intel version, but it's just that bit more expensive and for all I do with them (internet, email, itunes etc) I'm sure the PPC version will do me just fine. Apple have just managed to instill a panic buying mentality in me! It's like furbys at xmas all over again.
     
  5. Platform macrumors 68030

    Platform

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2004
    #5
    Get the 17" then...;)
     
  6. Mord macrumors G4

    Mord

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    just save up and get the intel 20" it'll last longer.
     
  7. Josh396 macrumors 65816

    Josh396

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2004
    Location:
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    #7
    There ya go. Unless you really have your heart set on the 20" like I did. Or as Hector said you could just save up a bit longer and buy the 20" then. You may even be able to get an updated one.
     
  8. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2005
    #8
    How about this. Wait till the summer since you don't really have money now and buy a 17" Rev B. Intel iMac. True it may be smaller than the 20" but it will still be cheaper than even the discounted 20" and better than all iMacs out right now.
     
  9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
  10. mac.head.high macrumors regular

    mac.head.high

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #10
    If you have your sites set on a PPC machine, don't let opinions sway you. The one thing the PPC's have mainly over the Intel machines is that it runs the native programs at native speed. So if you are using primarily PPC applications now, then the PPC is still you best bet. Not to mention the PPC platform is at it's best-yet of usage and stability. I recommend getting the Apple Student Discount if it I applies.

    But if money is still a factor, the only other choice is to wait it out until you finicals are in order, and maybe by then the programs you use primarily will either be Universal Binaries, or the Rosseta System will be majority retuned or advanced. And then the Intel Mac would suit your needs.

    But as for the size issue of 17" vs. 20". I say go for the bigger one, because you'll have more desktop real-estate. More room for windows, more room to edit, and a higher resolution screen if you have any gaming intentions. But desktop space may not be a deciding factor for you and your usages.

    Good luck in whichever path you choose. They'll both eventually lead to the same paradise m in my opinion.
     
  11. supergod macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2004
    Location:
    Toronto
    #11
    I have a similar dilemma.

    This weekend I'm planning on trading in my Power Mac G5 and my Dell 2005 fpw (along with my beloved 17" flat screen CRT ADC) for an iMac. I'm either going to get the 20" G5, or the new 17" core duo. The only thing I'm going to be doing on this computer is running logic 7 express, and basic iLife stuff (and the occasional movie). I'm going to bite the bullet and do it all at a reseller instead of eBaying it and buying the computer from Apple. It's a bitter pill to swallow as it means I'll lose out on my education discount that would knock the price of th 17" to $1400 CAD and the 20" to $1620 (instead of $1500 and $1750) and get less money for the computer, but I don't really have much of a choice.

    I still haven't decided which computer I'm going with, although I have been leaning to the G5. I'll try them both out and try and get a feel for whether the 17" screen is large enough, because in all honesty, I can't see there being a significant performance difference in anything other than rendering/encoding video.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but performance between a 2.1 ghz G5 and a 1.8ghz Core Duo is pretty similar, right?

    Obviously I'm trying to spend as little money here as possible (especially since I'll have to add RAM), but moreso I'm trying to gage which one is the best value. I'll be holding on to the computer for a little over three years and then getting a laptop, whereupon the computer is either going for sale or to my parents (replace their 15" iMac G4).
     
  12. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    #12

    i don't think final cut express will even run on the intel macs. too buggy in terms of software avaliable for it, many things won't run. kep your powermac and dell (like me) and you'll be running everything faster than that intel imac. no doubt! even if you still want to sell, might as well do ebay and NOT lose as much money. don't know why you say you have no choice, you do!
     
  13. supergod macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2004
    Location:
    Toronto
    #13
    I'm using LOGIC express, not final cut. They've released the universal binary of it, so that's not a concern. The reason I don't have time to eBay it, is that I'm right in the middle of essay time at U of T, so I can't take the time or wait.

    At this point, I'm still leaning towards the 20". I will look at the 17" and try and see if the screen is large enough for me.
     
  14. yogamonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

    yogamonkey

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #14
    I appreciate everyones' advice, thanks. The intel imac is just a bit out of my range.

    So... I went to Apple Bluewater today and am now the proud owner of a beautiful 20" iMac! It's amazing!! Certainly does everything I need it to, and for £985 I'm delighted.

    It's so big!! :eek:
     

Share This Page