Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the 2013 haswell iMac be retina?

• Yes I think so

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • No, I don't think so

Votes: 114 91.9%

• Total voters

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iMac is Apple's cheapest desktop that is ready to go out of the box ... meaning it is targeted at many budget conscious consumers. Retina screens that big are still too expensive

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I'd say that there's a 50/50 chance we'll see a retina 21.5'' iMac in late 2013, but a 27'' retina iMac is extremely unlikely.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I expect Retina to happen to iMacs the same way it happened to MBPs. So there will be a separate, high-priced Retina option. I don't think it can happen in 2013.

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Price of these 4K monitors is a good reference to forecast the appearance of retina iMac, especially the 27" one.

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I would say maybe 50/50 to retina, depending on if it's cost effective and they can pull it off on the larger screen size. If I was going to gamble on it I would probably put my bet on no retina.
But I personally can't see haswell being in the 2013 iMac's.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I would say maybe 50/50 to retina, depending on if it's cost effective and they can pull it off on the larger screen size. If I was going to gamble on it I would probably put my bet on no retina.
But I personally can't see haswell being in the 2013 iMac's.

I disagree. A 2013 haswell iMac is pretty much a given. Why not?

Ryan.Tanner

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
McKinney, TX
With all the issues they are having producing a regular 27" display as thin as they are, I don't see how in the world they could produce a retina display that is cost effective while keeping it as thin as it currently is.

I guess they could regress a little like they did with the iPad Mini and provide and inferior product that has a worse screen; meaning they could make the iMac thicker again, so they can add retina support.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
With all the issues they are having producing a regular 27" display as thin as they are, I don't see how in the world they could produce a retina display that is cost effective while keeping it as thin as it currently is.

I guess they could regress a little like they did with the iPad Mini and provide and inferior product that has a worse screen; meaning they could make the iMac thicker again, so they can add retina support.

Why would the retina iMac be thicker? You don't need a bigger battery in your desktop iMac... Maybe the GPU would run a little hotter, but not that much.
A seperate iMac 21.5'' model in late 2013 is very likely. I think Apple very much wants to remain in their industry leading position with retina products.

Last edited:

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
iMac is Apple's cheapest desktop that is ready to go out of the box ... meaning it is targeted at many budget conscious consumers. Retina screens that big are still too expensive

They have a good value, but the regular budget conscious consumer will not buy them. I think what my old friend 42Johnson said is the most likely scenario and I also don't see or care for it to happen in 2013.

More importantly though, I don't think we "need" retina on the iMac. At least I don't care for it right now, given they just released beautiful new models with fantastic screens. It's very likely to come, and I sure wont mind it, just how I don't mind the slimmer design of the new iMac.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Assuming Intel sticks with their Haswell schedule, I don't see why we wouldn't see Haswell iMacs a year from now. As for Retina, I agree with those who think Apple will start with a premium-priced Retina iMac, while keeping non-Retina models at a lower price point – unless, of course, Apple can get the panels in quantity at a low-enough price.

There. Does that make me an analyst?

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
There is a chance a the next imac will be retina, it may not be true 4k but it will close to it.

Like it or not the retina display is coming as Apple is headed that way with rumors of the iPad mini going retina, that only leaves their imac and their monitors non retina, maybe thats also another reason for the screen redesign on the new model iMac

I want a retina display as using everything retina espically the macbook pro makes the iMac look like is its SD TV vs HD TV, besides the new iMac still looks like the 2010 from the front and back imac minus the DVD drive the air at top and i heard the speakers aren't so great.

I wouldn't exchange my 2010 model yet Apple is definitely working on a retina iMac and much like the next generation consoles is hiding it from us.

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
The panels that it would require do not exist and the sheer graphical horsepower it would take to drive the display, let alone any GPU intensive work is substantial.

Definitely a few years off, if ever.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
For rMBP the retina is what, a $500 premium? Can't imagine what the premium would be on a 27". $1000?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008

iMac & budget? Haha! You must have money to burn.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iMac & budget? Haha! You must have money to burn.

I'm talking about budget conscious consumers looking to buy a Mac. It's not the cheapest, but believe it or not there are many budget conscious consumers who want to buy Macs, and I can assure they consider the entry level iMac.

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I disagree. A 2013 haswell iMac is pretty much a given. Why not?

Just a gamble really. I can't see Apple adopting haswell that soon.
Obviously I could very well be wrong. Only way to really know is to wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.