All iPads Will the dirt under my Screen Protector scratch my screen?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by xNiGHTSBOYx, Dec 30, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2012
    What the title says, I'm worried it will scratch :apple:
  2. macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2012
    It shouldn't. But, did you not clean your screen before you placed it on?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah :/ But evertime I use screen protectors, dirt always makes its way there :l So it definatley wont scratch?
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 26, 2012
    It won't scratch. I've had dirt get caught in some of my screen protector installs, and when I decided to take it off and install a new one later on, I didn't see any scratches on my screen at all. This applies to both my iPhone and iPad.

Although, on the iPad, it's a bit harder to do a perfect install of them. But you shouldn't have any worries. ;)
  5. macrumors 68030

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Maybe your hands are dirty when you are installing the screen protector?
  6. macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    Depends on what the "dirt" is.

It's fairly simple: if a material is harder than another material it will scratch. If not, it won't.
  7. macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2012
    That's never happened to me on any of my devices. I know my wife had the invisibleshield and some cheap rubber/plastic case that would lift it up, sand got trapped under it and she didn't care to clean it. I'm not just talking about 1 or 2, it was like she dropped it in the sand and had like 20 sand particules under it. I was afraid it would scratch it but to my surprise it didn't.
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2012
  9. macrumors 68030

May 21, 2010
    It will only scratch if it moves around. Since it's trapped under the film, it shouldn't move or scratch. Must be pretty annoying to see though.
  10. macrumors 6502

Nov 9, 2011
    It wont scratch (assuming it's sand though) but if any pressure is applied to it, it will nick it.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2012
    Yes, it will. Remove with cellophane tape and put protector back on.