Will the Edu discount work if I go to another college bookstore?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fraeone, Oct 3, 2003.

1. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

I'm really interested in buying a new PB. I'm a student, at a school that qualifies for the Apple discount, but my school is small enough that our bookstore isn't a campus reseller. (Evergreen State College for those who care). Now I know that I could just order from apple.com, but the tax essentially erases any student discount.

So my question is: can I go to another school's campus reseller and show them my current college id and registration? Ideally I would just take the 1.5 hour drive to Oregon, and go to the PSU or Reed College reseller. Which would save me the tax too.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any of the big online stores that will match apple's edu pricing if you ask? I seem to remember reading about someone having some moderate success that way, but I can't find the thread now.

Thanks for your wisdom,

fraeone

2. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure you can go to an Apple Store and get the educational discount, you will still be charged tax, but at least there won't be any shipping charges.

3. advres Guest

advres

I just purchased a new powerbook from an Apple Retail location in New Hapshire to save on tax. I showed my student I.D. and got the discount. I don't see why any Apple reseller would not give you the discount but i would call before the drive. hope this helps

4. fraeone thread starter macrumors regular

fraeone

Well, they just opened an Apple Store in Seattle, but like I said, the tax essentially erases the student discount. And Apple.com doesn't charge shipping anyway.

I saw rumors about an Apple Store opening in Portland, which would be _awesome_ because then I could get my student discount without tax, and without hassle.

5. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

Umm...they dont charge tax when you buy it instore with educational discount??? Does this apply in Canada or juss the U.S?

6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

go to apple's online store. On the left there is a link that says "education" click on that and you should be able to buy directly from apple with an edu discount.

Yep, I just verified it. Apple has Evergreen State College in their list of schools in Olympia Washington

7. fraeone thread starter macrumors regular

fraeone

cheap-chopstix- in Oregon State, there is no sales tax, so if they had an Apple Store in Portland, I would be able to avoid tax. Also if I can find a reseller that will match edu prices in Oregon I could also avoid sales tax.

peterjhill- thanks for your effort, but what I'm trying to do is avoid buying from apple.com edu store, because they will charge me tax.

I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to get away with something, it's just that all the other online retailers don't charge tax. So if I could find one that would match education prices, that would work great too.

Thanks again everybody

8. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I can't say for certain, but when i was in grad school a couple years ago, I did buy software at another school (in another state, even) by showing my ID and filing out a form (name, address, school, etc). I suspect that it this policy could vary from school to school.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was kind-of in a similar situation. I just decided it was either forgo the edu discount and drive to an Oregon reseller or have them mail it to me for a small fee. Or use some other online reseller with some cool freebies and/or free shipping. Or use my edu discount through Apple online or drive to a local Apple Store. Decisions, decsions. I guess until Oregon get an Apple Store or a reseller there can give you an edu discount, you can't have your cake and eat it too. :( Sorry.

10. fraeone thread starter macrumors regular

fraeone

Well it seems I can have my cake and eat it too! Apple is opening a store just outside of Portland in a little over a month! As reported here: http://www.macnn.com/news/21507

Hurray!