Will the iMac go past 1Ghz...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by davrouk, May 14, 2003.

1. davrouk Guest

...anytime soon? The G4 is available at clocks higher than 1Ghz (correct me if im wrong), so would you expect a higher clock speed iMac in the next few months or even this year? This is the only thing keeping me from shelling out now, as 1Gb RAM is more than enough and 80Gb HD space is fine for me too (for now :)). I want to be as future proof as is possible (difficult with iMac I realise).

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

definately but it will still be slower than the powermacs. I'm sure it wil leven get a 970 someday.

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

When the PowerMac is shifted to a new processor then we will see G4 based iMacs scale higher. It depends whether Apple moves the iMac to the 970 or to the 7457, but either will get the iMac way above 1Ghz. My guess the next version will probably see either a G4 1.25 or 1.33 as the top processor.

4. davrouk thread starter Guest

When would you expect it to happen? Sooner (within 3 months) or later (after next 6 months) ?

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Probably fall. The only reason it took a year to get from 800Mhz to 1Ghz is because the PowerMac G4 was in the way. If the PowerMac moves to a 970 processor, we will probably see at least one more iMac speed bump on the 7455 processor and at the max it will be a 1.33Ghz. I think with heat concerns a 1.42 is not possible, but who knows. Also there is a G4 "7457" that could be used to push Ghz higher with less heat if Apple sticks with Moto on the consumer machines. Eventually you will see a 970 based iMac, but not right away. Apple does not want to steal the PowerMac thunder at the start. Also, it could be argued that a high performing G4 will still compete well in the consumer market for less money and when it comes to the iMac and eMac, price is a concern. Most people do not have speed problems using the current Macs as consumer machines, the pro's need more though. The G4 is just not cutting it for them anymore.

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

i would say that if and when the powermacs get 970s then the imacs will exceed 1ghz. hopefully the high-end imac will have a 970 in it.

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

They'll never clock higher than the lowest PowerMac, as far as I can see, so they'll most likely go up when the PowerMacs get bumped. One more G4 rev. before the 970's?