Will the iPhone 4 use AT&T's 4G Network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cack, Jun 9, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2010
    Is it just a new phone or will it actually take advantage of the 4G network?
  2. macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    It will not use 4G.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2007
    what he said :)
  4. macrumors 65816

Jun 22, 2007
    1. AT&T doesn't have a "4G" network service yet
    2. When AT&T does, it will be LTE, and you will need a new hardware (just like going from 2G to 3G).
  5. macrumors 6502

Apr 13, 2009
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2010
    iPhone 4 on 3G

Yeah, Sprint is more advanced then in terms of network.

It should have been called iPhone 3GX or something else other than 4. Misleading a bit.
  7. macrumors 6502

May 7, 2009
    Too bad AT&T's 3G network is faster than both Sprint AND Verizon's 4G networks...
  8. macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2008
    how is it misleading...? Its the fourth iphone hence iPhone FOUR. Before the announcement, a lot of people were calling it the iPhone 4G, not because of a new network(that AT&T doesnt even have) but because it would be the fourth generations. Calling it the iPhone 3GX would have been stupid.
  9. macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Misleading? I don't think so.
    Better than calling it the 4G, which would definitely cause confusion.
  10. macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    It's not misleading, the iPhone 4 is the fourth iPhone to come out. If it was called the iPhone 4G, then it would be misleading.
  11. macrumors 65816

Feb 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think Apple had to think somewhat hard of what to call their new iPhone.

1. It is completely redesigned so couldn't have a "3" at the end of the name
    2. they couldn't call it "iPhone 4G" because AT&T doesn't have a 4G network yet
    3. I think they made the right choice with the name, because this is the 4th generation iPhone. I think they sort of screwed up with the naming on the first one calling it 2G..then 3G, then I think the 3Gs was just "filler" so they could call this iPhone 4.

but then again...I don't know whats gonna happen for future generations....such as iPhone 4G, iPhone 4Gs iPhone 5, iPhone 5G, iPhone 5Gs, iPhone 6G, etc etc.. cuz wouldn't they all run on the 4G network? It's not like they can call it iPhone 4Gssia (4G super speed is awesome) or anything like that. I am sure apple marketing will think of something interesting and cool

edit: or you can just call it "iPhone" for now on, forget the number at the end! It's not like you call it MacBook Pro 6, or iMac 7 or anything like that...just call it iPhone
  12. macrumors member

May 28, 2003
    I think that it is little misleading, not for people that tend to read these forums of course but for the majority of the population that now buy apple products. I have had 3 friends all ask me about the (non-existent) 4G capabilities of the new iPhone already. I'm sure as time goes on it will become common knowledge of course but I preferred the "iPhone HD" name that was suggested when the engadget leaks came out. Saving the "4G" name for LTE or equivalent iteration would have been better IMHO, it would be difficult for apple to do that now for sure.
  13. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2010

iPhone 1 = iPhone 2G
    iPhone 2 = iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3 = iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4 = iPhone 4

How do people call the different iPhones? That's all I'm trying to say. It's always been called using the network it uses. Now they decided to go away from that.

Misleading, look at all the articles on iPhone 4g that supposedly will be released on June 24. I'm not confused, apparently a bunch of techies are calling this version incorrectly.

I have a nano, 3G iPhone, 3GiPad and MBP so Im not a hater.
  14. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2010
  15. macrumors 65816

Jun 22, 2007
    Errr, no. They use Wimax, while everybody else will be going LTE. Even Sprint themselves said the future is probably LTE, not Wimax. They just wanted to be the first one that can claim having a 4G network.
  16. macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2008
    The original iPhone was not referred to 2G. 3GS was for speed, for the phone being faster, not the network (as if AT&T would have a fast network)

It's the 4th Generation iPhone so they called it iPhone 4. Not 4G, which would have been confusing.

Yeah you're not a hater... just dumb.
  17. macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2010
    I hate to be pedantic, but the first iPhone was just called "iPhone" so it wasn't named after the network. "iPhone 2g" was the name people came up with after the 3g came out to differentiate. So there hasn't really been any consistency with naming at all
  18. macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2009
    Connecticut, USA
    Apple never referred to the original iPhone as the "iPhone 2G"; that was a retronym created by tech junkies to differentiate it from the 3G. Apple always referred (and still refers) to the original iPhone merely as the "iPhone."
  19. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2010
    iPhone 2g

If you look at CL, all iPhone 1's are called 2G.

Yes, I know this naming came after 3G came. I know 3Gs is for speed, I'm referring to the 3G in 3GS.

Man, people here need to chill out.

Point is iPhone 4 is on 3G. Let's spread the word.
  20. macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2008
    yea lets rely on craigslist.....

the first iphone was not called iPhone 2G, it was just called the iPhone.
    People will chill out when you get your facts straight.

Nobody needs to "spread the word" about it running on 3G...
  21. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2010
    Fact is

People are calling the iPhone 4 the iPhone 4g. Look at some of the threads.
  22. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    Well they're wrong; doesn't make the Apple naming misleading; just some people are ignorant to the fact.
  23. macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2008
    yep and that makes them right....:rolleyes:
  24. macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2009
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    By that logic, calling it iPhone is misleading. It implies that you can actually make/receive phone calls on it ... ... :rolleyes:
  25. macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2008
    Calling my new iphone a "iphone 4" doesn't flow off the tongue very well. I think I'll call mine "Buddy" or maybe "iBuddy". :D;)