Will the iPhone be a modem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timmillwood, Jan 16, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

One thing i like about my Sony phone is i can use it as a modem on my Macbook Pro, i hope the iPhone will be able to do the same?

2. chatster18 macrumors regular

I agree, I use by Blackberry for a modem. Could it be possible for them to allow the iphone to be a modem through the Cingular network and re-transmit using the WiFi?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

According to David Pogue:

"If the answer were yes, Apple surely would have touted that feature."

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Also depends on Cingular and if they'll allow it. They may not have mentioned it because of that issue. And it's not really necessary as the iPhone can do almost everything that you need to do on a computer through it's wi-fi.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I've been under the impression that basically any bluetooth equipped cell phone can be used as a modem.

6. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

The technology is definitely there. It's likely that it would create a closed network with your mac over WiFi (or Bluetooth) and then use EDGE to access the net.
    The question is will apple do it or will it be a hack made by some random?

7. newmacuser13 macrumors member

Any new word on this subject - will we be able to use the iPhone as a modem to get broadband on laptop paired to the phone?

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Let us know if you see any changes to Apple's product information page since January.

Don't worry, we'll wait.

:rolleyes:

9. island macrumors 6502

island

I can't imagine that AT&T would not allow it to be used, but I can tell you they will probably charge you a teathering fee like they do now.

10. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

If it runs OS X, it's a simple as finding a way to execute a few (or many) terminal commands and turning on Internet Sharing, no?

11. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

12. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

i'm fuzzy on the whole 3g thing.... splain

13. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

3g can bring "broadband" like speeds to cell phones...for GSM it would be HSDPA and that can deliver up to 600kbs at any given moment. Since the iPhone only has EDGE and WiFi there is no point in using the iPhone as a modem for a laptop because EDGE is too slow to browse the internet and if you can get WiFi on your iPhone you can get it on your lappy.

Thats why I'm not buying a smartphone without 3g.

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Me too.

I can't see the iphone selling over here and in asia without HSDPA. I might be wrong though.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Isn't EDGE faster then dial up?

its slow but doable

16. kbonnel macrumors 6502

EDGE is usable for doing web surfing. You can get connections of around 30 - 170kbps (so up to 20 - 25KB/s), so nothing too fancy but better than the GPRS connections (a little faster than a modem). If you want real broadband over cellular, then you need to get a device that is EVDO / UTMS or HSDPA. These technologies can provide speeds up to 7.2mbps. I am using a vodafone E220 HSDPA adapter and get 2000mbps down 384kbps up connections here in Italy (download speeds around 200 - 250 KB/s).

Cingular is upgrading their networks to newer UTMS and HSDPA technologies, but as usual they are pretty slow at doing it :( Not to mention their data plans are pretty expensive. They change 60 bucks for unlimited data if you have a calling plan, 80 if you don't.

Kimo

17. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

If you guys want to use your EDGE phones to browse the internet on your laptops then be my guest.

I won't be.

18. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

i think if i had internet access on my iphone then i wouldn't have much need for a laptop on most occasions

19. pake macrumors regular

not only as a modem...

I also hope that it can be used as a modem, but still I'm more interested in its other posible capabilities: Since it has bluetooth, I think Apple would enable it, so you can use it as a keynote controller, iTunes, Frontrow, and anything else you would like to control remotely on your computer. Don't you think?
    I hope they do

20. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

In fact, I am not buying it without 3G here in Europe. I am too used to fast internet and great features from other phone like the SE P990i which is really cheap now (compared to how it was).

21. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

What will you be doing on a laptop that requires a connection faster than a modem, that the iPhone can't do?

22. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Video calls? The iPhone, incredibly, doesn't have a camera pointing at the user.

As the iPhone is also a closed platform (as far as we know) there are loads of network aware applications that the user could use from a laptop that wouldn't be available on the iPhone.

23. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

In the UK we have 'UMTS/WCDMA', known as 3G. 'HSDPA' is also known as 3.5G and currently provides anywhere up to 1.8Mbps here.

We don't have EDGE, not in any meaningful sense at least, because we've already got around 90% basic 3G coverage on some networks.

GSM with GPRS only gives us around 50Kbps and that's really not enough to get excited about or want to use on a laptop. I guess in the USA there'd be more of a demand for modem use on a '2.75G' EDGE device.

Still, I'd imagine the iPhone's bluetooth profile will support using the handset as a modem - almost every mobile I've ever owned, certainly every one with Bluetooth, has been able to be used as a modem.

24. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's highly unlikely that the iPhone will launch in Europe without 3G, honestly. It's been made as much as clear that the iPhone can and will be re-tooled for its international launches depending on the needs of the target market. Obviously in Europe where 3G coverage is actually decent, the iPhone will probably support it. Here in the US, 3G coverage is still very spotty, to say nothing of 3.5G or WiMax.

25. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Oh wow! You can do video calls over 3G? I can barely stream a good looking slingbox picture over it.