Will the iPhone support mms?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by craigverse, Jan 18, 2007.

1. craigverse macrumors 6502

craigverse

I've googled it and I've searched macrumors and found no real concrete answer...

Is it that we don't have a real answer yet or is it that I'm just not a very good surfer? You tell me....

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It was never announced, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. But then again, you've already got e-mail on the iPhone, so what's the point?

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

the point is email and mms are 2 very different things. And it takes time to check you email. MMS functions like a text message (you know the instant you get one).

As for support apple would be complete idiots not to support it. Also it really run on the same network as text messaging and I am going to assume the iPhone supports text messaging. MMS just adds a multimedia system to it. Pretty much all it does when you get the message is your phone connects to the Internet and downloads the stuff. So it is a very safe bet that it does.

4. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Will the iPhone support mms

I never thought about that, assumed by default MMS will be supported, but on the second thought, it's Apple so anything is possible, even not supporting the MMS. However, chances are 99.9999% it will be supported on iPhone.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The iPhone supports Push IMAP, so you will know the second you get mail.

MMS still blows between different carriers. A friend sends me pics from her Sprint phone, but they come to me (T-Mobile) very very very tiny and highly compressed. But if she send the same picture to my email from her phone, I get the full size/quality version. It wasn't that long ago that people couldn't even sent MMS outside of the network, though, so it's not all bad.

I assumed the iPhone would support MMS as it's a really standard feature on all phones. I hadn't thought that it wouldn't.

6. Gee macrumors 65816

I definitely read somewhere that it won't. No MMS, SMS only.

Whether what I read is actual fact or merely more rumorage is another matter.

Edit: from The Register...
    Doing the same deal in Europe will be much more difficult: European operators have invested heavily in 3G (W-CDMA) networks, and MMS, so to sign an exclusive deal for a non-3G handset which doesn't support MMS would be political suicide; effectively saying that 3G and MMS weren't worth having. If they manage a 3G version of the iPhone then that problem could disappear (and an MMS client shouldn't be a serious problem), but if it drives up the cost then the problem doesn't go away.

7. craigverse thread starter macrumors 6502

craigverse

I guess we'll have to wait and see. It makes sense that they would... almost EVERY phone nowadays down to the free ones and even twenty dollar phones support it. The thing is when Steve demo'ed the phone it makes a point to say SMS in the cute little icon and nothing about there being mms... but who knows at this point.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've had an MMS-supporting phone for almost 4 years now, and have used it slightly more than once per year. Bluetooth transfers to my PowerBook have been just fine.

Oh wait, you can't do that (easily) on Verizon... :rolleyes:

9. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

What's the point of MMS if I can't get the data cable to connect my phone to my mac? :confused:

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Hmm makes me think about when I was reading about txt messages starting to be able to move between the carriers and that was a huge deal and it was using a some different type of software or something to allow for it.

Now it just 2nd nature to text message any one cell no matter who they are with.

11. jwkay macrumors member

jwkay

MMS in Europe

Maybe MMS is looked on differently in the US compared to Europe.

Here in Norway, MMS is huge and is also used in various creative ways. Newspapers with free ads/marketplace sections allow sellers to photograph their items with their camera, write an MMS with the photo and ad text and simply send it to them to have the ad printed in the paper.

A phone without MMS would be at a major disadvantage here.

12. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Yeah, they're quite heavily used here as well. You have no idea how a small MMS with a tiny clip saying "I Love You" helps ease those 12+ hours at the Uni :)

13. camboy8 macrumors newbie

Shut up

ok, for all theses stupid dumbasses say "Oh why does it need MMS if it has E-mail" Ok it's still not as easy as MMS is. Plus Email can send to phones, but it's still difficult. Sending a pic to my friend like xxx-xxx-xxxx@mms.att.com
    when with an mms it would be just to the contact name. So to send pics to people you have to know there service provider and what that services extension is. It's not like if MMS was added that email would go away. Why the hell can't it have both. Theres no F-in reason it can't have it. Also push email sometimes disconnects where text never disconnects. And another also, email has to go through towers and servers and more towers. Where text go strait from tower to phone, theres no slow ass server getting in your way.

14. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

You just resurrected a year old thread...

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Right...:rolleyes:

16. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who relies so much on MMS with hus buddies that he is actually getting rid of his iphone and getting some sort of Samsung one instead.... I told him he was insane, he will be back to his iphone in no time, but he told me he can't live without MMS.

To each their own. I find it ANNOYING, but not a deal breaker for me.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I love it! This was absolutely necessary.

*Goes to dig around page 350 for another old MMS thread*

18. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

A year later and still no MMS. I think apple will have to redo their messaging in order for us to be able to use MMS, and even fwd a message. I think it's because of their IM style of SMS that doesn't allow it to work. (IHO)