Will the MacPro/Intel PowerMac support FrontRow?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Josias, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I just though, is there a chance that the Intel PowerMac will not support FrontRow? This may sound stupid, but since the latest revision iMac G5's did, and the latest revision PowerMac G5's didn't, is there a chance it won't? I know the last revision PPC Mini didnøt have FR either, and got it once switched to Intel, but that is a very cheap consumer machine. I had just expected the PowerMac G5 to get FrontRow too. I don't know if this mockup's little blue lamp above the power button is to symbolize a IR, but I just wanna know, is it probable?

Also, will the next generation of Cinema Displays have built-in iSight's, and is there a chance there will be a 17" model, call me stupid, but I really though alot about these three posibilities, and I'm not sure, so what do you think?:D

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nobody knows for sure except Apple, but I expect that all systems will have it eventually.

3. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I'm really not sure.

I'd like to say it will becuase i'm after a MacPro.

It cant be that hard to add that as a feature since some people find that a major selling point. I'm after a powerful media system and if the MacPro doesnt have front row then i'm going to have to stick with my pc and use media centre.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

I'd say they will support it as well. Afterall even the laptops have them (and these are the most unlikely candidates, like anyone is actually going to sit back and enjoy a movie from his tiny 13" screen :rolleyes: )

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, same thought here- I imagine that all Macs will use Front Row eventually. :)

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Because the IR has great reception even in brightly lit rooms i cant see there being a problem having the receiver on the tower, even when its hidden under a desk.

The only thing about FR is (although its cool and works well) there is not really much use for it. If im looking at photos im sat at my desk anyway. And if im watching a DVD i have to put it in the computer so im right next to it making the remote pretty much redundant. The only thing it is good for is music from across the room... oh wait, what about air tunes?

Its a nice idea but more thought needs to go into FR i think. Being able to read Video TS files would be a massive boost as you wouldnt have to put in a DVD to watch and make the remote redundant. Maybe thats what the rumor about 2 optical drives is trying to address?

Sorry to go off topic but i had to get it off my chest. :D

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Perhaps they will come out with a Bluetooth IR receiver.

8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

If the head-less Mac Mini has Front Row, I'm sure the head-less Mac Pro will too.

9. unfaded macrumors 6502

...Bluetooth IR?

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's not a useful app for you.

11. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    hmm maybe it will be called FrontRow Extream! Automatically wirelessly broadcast to your TV/sound system:rolleyes:

12. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

That little blue lamp is the power on LED.

13. rockandrule macrumors 6502

I really hope they don't switch to a blue LED for the power lamp. I prefer the white, thank you. ;)

14. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Amen, but I just hope the keep that ring of light around the powerbutton on the PowerMac. Anyway, I believe and hope myself that the PowerMac will include FR.

Oh and, did anyone actually read my post, or just the title? I also asked whether it is probable the next generation Cinema Displays will include an iSight Camera, and whether it is possible the Studio Displays will be reintroduced. I would love a 17" ASD for a MacMini...:D

Oh and, Sesshi, it would be a BT reciever, since the IR is an abbreviation of Infared.:p

15. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i had FR on my old PB.. heh. it worked beautifully.

16. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

17. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

If you look carefully, the previous post made in this thread was on 7/15.

They were clearly speculating.

I'm 99.99% sure Mac Pros have it, if they don't, as soon as Leopard rolls around, they will, as will all other macs that can run Leopard.

18. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Front Row will come with 10.5

Additional features in Leopard include:

* full native 64-bit support that allows applications to take complete advantage of 64-bit processing while maintaining full performance and compatibility for existing 32-bit Mac OS X applications and drivers;

* enhancements to Boot Camp, Apple's innovative technology that was previewed as a public beta in April 2006, making it possible to run Windows natively on Intel-based Macs;

* Front Row, now available with all new Macs to play back digital content, including video Podcasts using the simple Apple remote;

* Photo Booth, Apple's fun-to-use application that lets users take quick snapshots with an iSight video camera, add entertaining visual effects with the touch of a button, and share them via email;

* iCal 3 with group calendaring capabilities, event drop box, and standards-based CalDAV support;

* improved Spotlight searching that's even faster, provides richer previews, and lets users search across network mounted folders on other machines;

* a new Movies Dashboard widget for movie times and Web Clip for clipping any part of a web page as a live widget;

* new parental controls including curfews, time limits and remote administration;
    * Core Animation, a new graphics technology that makes it easy to create stunning visual effects and animations;

* major enhancements in Universal Access, including improvements in VoiceOver, Apple's built-in screen reader;

* security enhancements including anti-phishing protection in Mail and Safari, and an automatic firewall that limits network resources available to an application; and

* new development tools, including Xcode 3 with full 64-bit support, DashCode, an easy way to create new Dashboard widgets without writing a line of code, and Xray, for optimizing application performance.

19. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Dude, I know that. I started this thread. I just though it would be better to bring this thread up than to start a new one. And no, they don't have FR, and IR reciever or an Apple Remote.
    In the box
    • Mac Pro
    • Apple Keyboard
    • Apple Mighty Mouse
    • USB keyboard extension cable
    • DVI to VGA adapter
    • Power cord
    • Install/restore DVDs
    • Printed and electronic documentation

20. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Good point, forgot to think of that.

Thats very odd of apple.

21. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

It's just odd. The Mini has FR, and they don't ned to have IR through the Cinema Display, just the iSight there, and then FR on the Mac. BTW, isn't there a possiblity you could get FR working with bluetooth?:confused: