Will the new Macbook Pros get LED backlit displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iW00t, Apr 2, 2007.

1. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Earlier today I have a chance to see a friend take out his spankin' new Vaio, and when he started up the machine the first thing I see is how the sides of the screen are dimmer compared to the centre.

*shudders*

Any chance that we will see the new MBPs get LED backlit displays? That should eliminate most of the unevenness shouldn't it?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I think we'll see LED displays in the next generation. It would help a lot with the backlighting, yes.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

It is an inevitable upgrade that would most likely come with the next revision due out in the next few months, possibly June I suspect.

You of all people I thought would be at the forefront of Macbook Pro display news...
    you know considering your bitterness and all because of your unfortunate grainy display.

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Thats actually funny and SOOOO true!

5. prism macrumors 6502a

Don't set your expectations too high

I have a friend with a new vaio that uses LED backlighting and I was surprised at how bad the display looked. I mean it was seriously uneven, my MBPC2D display is way better!

6. pufftissue macrumors regular

LED backlights for screens are not any better from a quality standpoint.

I think they might consume less energy, but they are still uneven!

Go take a look at some of the sony 17" wuxga screens.

7. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

LED screens consume something like a 3rd of the energy.

I've seen the Sony X-Black LED Backlit screen and wasn't too impressed - the pixels stood out like a sore thumb for a start. Yes the screen was a lot brighter and richer, but there wasn't a blend to groove the pixels together; it just looked kinda awful.

I'll need to take another look at it at work today I think...see if I was being too harsh.

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I think we all need to put a little more trust in Apple.

If the LED backlit screens are judged by Apple to be better than present CCFL backlights, I will have one in my SR MB/P. If not, I won't. Either way, I don't really care. It's like asking for a Penryn CPU today. It will perform very nicely, improve your battery life, but at this stage of it's development, it could be the worst thing you ever got.

If Apple can find some excellent quality, high brightness, high contrast and colour spectrum LED/LCD screens with good even backlighting that are reasonably cheap, and available in large numbers, Apple will use them.

Maybe with the power savings, I'll get my X2600? :rolleyes: