will the new shuffle connector replace the nano and ipods?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mgkwho, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2005
    Hey, I haven't seen anything on this, so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse...

So the new shuffle only has that one port that combines whatever the three technologies are.

Is it possible that we will see this on the future nanos and iPods? Or is the technology not advanced enough for large capacities/data? (As in, maybe it's only good for a few gigs which I doubt; songs are less complex than images).

I would really like it, for the simple fact of eliminating the ugly hole and also slimming the connector on the cables.

(Again, sorry if it's been discussed already in another thread).
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    No, the shuffle uses a connector that is in use in a number of other devices, the MobiBlu Cube for example. As such, Apple can't patent it.

The 30-pin dock connector has been patented and is a major money spinner in the "Made for iPod" branding scheme. If Apple switched to the shuffle's connector it would lose out on royalties from every dock-connector accessory on the market.

There's just too much money in it for Apple to change to yet another connector.
  3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I agree - it's just not going to happen. That 30-pin connector is featured in thousands of devices including stereo systems, cars, and now possibly airplanes.