Will the Powerbook hold its value?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Aaon, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Aaon macrumors 6502

Perhaps this is a difficult question to answer, being as we seem to be a long way from a G5/dual core G4 Powerbook, but how do people think the resale value of the current Powerbooks will hold up? If I were to get the next 15" Powerbook, with the G4, would its value significantly fall with the introduction of the G5? Could I recover a good portion of my investment? I see people selling their powerbooks on ebay for not much less than the original purchase price, especially when you compare the mac devaluation to the devaluation in the IBM-compatible world. Thoughts?

Aaron

2. carpet macrumors member

Ive never had any luck selling second hand computers even high performance ones.

3. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I've owned my 17" Powerbook for about a year now and the value is around $2200. The original purchase price was somewhere near $3000. That should give you some idea.

4. Omad0n macrumors regular

Unfortunetly no one has really given an answer to this, but I'd be curious to know too.

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Macs hold their value unlike any other computers out there. I just sold a 17" PowerBook and my friend just sold her 12" PowerBook (both were sold on eBay). We each got within $200 of what we originally paid for them brand new. YMMV of course, but just like selling a used car, it depends on the time and place you're selling it. If you keep it for 3 years, of course you won't get as high a resale value as you would if you only kept it 8 months and then sold it.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    it all depends on the cosmetic looks as well if u have the box and complete set of software etc