Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
It exist in most. Some not as noticeable. With enough returns and documented exchanges, I'm sure Apple will correct it in few months. It's probably best to go to Apple and have them document your blemish. That way you can easily get it replaced later if you choose to wait it out.
That's the key "enough" returns...This is the only place I have seen any type of mention on this issue. Most people who own the phone and don't browse through Macrumors will not have a clue. Yes other screen issues persist as it is an LCD but the problem lies in that some people just cannot see it and that it varies per device. I am not sold this will be addressed in future production. I could be wrong but I will not be waiting around for it I will enjoy the device for what it is because by the time it is addressed (if at all) it will be a few months in and I will be already looking forward to the next generation come next September. If you recall last year it took a lot of publicity to acknowledge there was an issue with "bendgate". This isn't even close to that level. It was noticeable on my original unit which I later exchanged and now I can't see it. Not saying that it isn't there to some degree but what I cannot see I won't be bothered by and that is why this isn't as overblown as it is in this 28 page thread....People just don't see it

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
That's the key "enough" returns...This is the only place I have seen any type of mention on this issue. Most people who own the phone and don't browse through Macrumors will not have a clue. Yes other screen issues persist as it is an LCD but the problem lies in that some people just cannot see it and that it varies per device. I am not sold this will be addressed in future production. I could be wrong but I will not be waiting around for it I will enjoy the device for what it is because by the time it is addressed (if at all) it will be a few months in and I will be already looking forward to the next generation come next September. If you recall last year it took a lot of publicity to acknowledge there was an issue with "bendgate". This isn't even close to that level. It was noticeable on my original unit which I later exchanged and now I can't see it. Not saying that it isn't there to some degree but what I cannot see I won't be bothered by and that is why this isn't as overblown as it is in this 28 page thread....People just don't see it

I agree with you with some of your points. However, this issue is more of a QC issue and I don't see how it cannot be eliminated.

freedomisle

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
I agree with you with some of your points. However, this issue is more of a QC issue and I don't see how it cannot be eliminated.

Indeed. But, meanwhile a fix could be as simple as unscrewing the pentalobe screws and pulling the screen up slightly? o_O Rather than play the exchange game and/or wait for Apple to acknowledge this

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Possibly... however if the people testing the product cannot see it they will never catch it. So now its up to these workers that are putting these together around the clock. I doubt they would not think for a second about calling this a defective unit. Unless they make part of their interview process "Can you see this faint screen pressure point" I have my doubts on this getting fixed..

Reactions: dL. and freedomisle

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Possibly... however if the people testing the product cannot see it they will never catch it. So now its up to these workers that are putting these together around the clock. I doubt they would not think for a second about calling this a defective unit. Unless they make part of their interview process "Can you see this faint screen pressure point" I have my doubts on this getting fixed..
It's kind of a long shot, but in the meantime I'm enjoying my 6S and I do have some confidence it'll get resolved so I can go back to the Plus.

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
If you pull up on the screen won't it just settle back into place and the blemish return?

TheHorrorNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
I think some of the users here are missing a key point of the Apple warranty in that it does not include cosmetic issues, and this most certainly falls in that category.

This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html

Now if you want to return within the return policy it's all good. But some here think that months after, Apple will replace the device or the display. They most likely will not as it does not hamper the usability of the device and is purely cosmetic.

TheHorrorNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
I have and only saw where folks got thier phone replaced not just the screen. It seems like the geniuses don't want to bother replacing the screen.

The 6s screen parts are not available yet. All new phone releases have a waiting period for display replacements. As of right now its full unit replacements.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I think some of the users here are missing a key point of the Apple warranty in that it does not include cosmetic issues, and this most certainly falls in that category.

This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html

Now if you want to return within the return policy it's all good. But some here think that months after, Apple will replace the device or the display. They most likely will not as it does not hamper the usability of the device and is purely cosmetic.

Woah! The warranty is referring to a product that has been in the hands of a consumer. The complaint is about an iPhone that is defective right out of the box. A very large difference. This is a manufacturing defect. In that case Apple could be responsible even after the warranty period is over.

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
My 6S+ 128 GB also has the blemish, but on the left and right hand side. The one on the left is almost unnoticable but the one on the right is like the ones i've seen here in this thread on some pictures. It's not obvious but quite noticable when scrolling webpages. Do you think exchanging the phone and getting one with only one blemish is worth the hussle? I'm not that sure. But on the other hand i do see it all the time...
I have it on both sides too. This is my third replacement. The others had it on the left.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore

I'm sorry but I think you got the cosmetic point wrong. The cosmetic issues they don't cover are things like dents, scratch and screen cracks. Blemish that is caused by internal components are most definitely not cosmetic issue, unless they can prove that it was caused by a bent or heavily abused iPhone that result in the pressure between said components.

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Geezus, who cares? I have it and it's faint. Don't really give a dang and I doubt many folks would. That's LCD tech for you... get over it.

Reactions: Moki808

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
I am on my third phone now. My out of box phone, from AT&T, the blemish was so strong. When reports were coming in, I thought maybe they were going OCD. When I got my phone I was thinking that I won't go looking for it. However I didn't have to. It was not subtle at all. It was an intense spot, lacking light.

This began fading within minutes and hours, days and then it stabilized into a slightly noticeable spot. I called AppleCare about 8 days later. They were aware of the issue, based on their tone of voice, kinda "I know". Usually they would pretend to not know anything and then you would have to explain it to them. They didn't bother asking for any details. They said, if I bought it at AT&T go back and return it there or get it exchanged within the 14 day window. I went to AT&T and of course they had none, and mentioned that they didn't have any since launch day. They said don't worry about 14 days, it's clearly a defect and will be replaced. I said I have an appointment with the Genius Bar a couple of days later, which they said to keep that date and most likely I will have my problem solved much sooner.

I finally went to my Genius Bar appointment at the Apple Store, and they had a replacement ready for me. I checked the screen and the spot was there too. They didn't have any more of my version. They placed an order for a second replacement. They did acknowledge, there was a spot.

This weekend I went in and replaced the phone again, and it too had the spot. The employee, said he didn't see it, but I went to another Apple Store employee and he said he did see it. It seems the spot is more perceptible under certain lighting. For example, at the Apple store, it's slight, but at the mall's food court, it was more noticeable. Also, I checked all the display models, they too had the spot, every single one of them, all colors of the 6S Plus.

I decided to add AppleCare+ to my phone, thinking the spot issue is going to take a while to sort out. The employee said they couldn't do it. I need the original iPhone I purchased. Replacement models can't be entered in the system for AppleCare+. I said, no-one told me that before. I haven't had the phone for two weeks and you tell me this. They said try AppleCare over the phone, which I did and it worked. I got AppleCare added.

I have a case number open, about the spot. I said I will hold on to the phone until the issue is fixed and then I will replace it then. Also AppleCare representative had me post on their feedback form, what I experienced and they should get back to me, if they have anything to ask or tell me.

For what it's worth, this third phone is the best so far. I am thinking if this was my first experience, I would not have noticed. I do notice and when compared to my 6 Plus. I told AppleCare, I can't un-see it, it needs to be taken care of.

Last edited:

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Apple care is a waste because if they do acknowledge the issue and find a solution they will replace the screen after the warranty expires anyway. In the meantime you can keep swapping until you get an acceptable one or wait until they get new screens in and see if that works.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Against my better judgment, I read a thread on here today about defects and this came up. Apparently all 6S Pluses have this weird pressure point on the left side near the bottom, probably a component touching the LCD too hard underneath. Some have it worse than others, but all of them have it. I know on the one I have, it's a very distracting dark blotch when scrolling through any site with a white background (so all of them) or the Settings menu. I'm going to return it and wait a few months to see if the hardware will improve.

For example, the Air 2 and its distortion problems. Eventually many of the newer ones no longer have that issue, so they must've done something.

If there's no improvement I'm thinking about just getting the regular 6S, but I feel that would be more like settling.

I realise that I'm coming in quite late to this thread but OP, you can't say that "all" 6s Plus devices have this issue. Count me in as not having any problem of this kind.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I realise that I'm coming in quite late to this thread but OP, you can't say that "all" 6s Plus devices have this issue. Count me in as not having any problem of this kind.

Well not as far as your concerned....I'd be willing to bet you give it to some of these members on the board and they will find something wrong with it : ) Chances are its there just not noticeable to you, which is good you won't be bothered by it. Between this issue and the book spine screen bleed and the blue shadows on the side of the screen these displays used are far from perfect. Its an LCD screen, they are not perfect. Point is don't go looking for things and enjoy!

Reactions: Qbnkelt

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Geezus, who cares? I have it and it's faint. Don't really give a dang and I doubt many folks would. That's LCD tech for you... get over it.

Ok dude grab a snicker bar.

It's our money we spent and if the blemish bother us don't we have the right to claim the defect? LCDs are not meant to have backlight or shadowing issues. It's called a defect for a reason! I've had every iPhone since the 4, and usually I'm more lenient to screen defects and do t expect them to be perfect as long it's not a dead pixel. But this darn blemish bothers me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

It's our money we spent and if the blemish bother us don't we have the right to claim the defect? LCDs are not meant to have backlight or shadowing issues. It's called a defect for a reason! I've had every iPhone since the 4, and usually I'm more lenient to screen defects and do t expect them to be perfect as long it's not a dead pixel. But this darn blemish bothers me.

Yeah, the 6S+ screens I've seen (including my own) aren't the best. It's a shame that a mediocre loudspeaker and dodgy screens slightly tarnish an otherwise pretty perfect phone. I had a look at the four other non-Apple LCD screens we have in this house and every single one is perfect, no joke. Despite constantly hearing these Apple display faults being attributed to LCD technology itself, how come these problems rarely if ever manifest themselves in other manufacturer's products?

I think I've had one iPhone screen over the years that I could call absolutely perfect, and that's out of 10 phones (this number includes exchanges for various reasons). That's a pretty shocking, if admittedly anecdotal statistic. The problems range from colour temperature extremes (deep blue or urine-soaked yellow) to dark blotches, opaque dark clouds, brightness issues and uneven backlighting. Dead pixels can be excused as they're bound to happen from time to time unless exceptional QC picks them up. Unfortunately though, the 6S+ screens appear to be the worst of the lot. Very few people seem to have got a good one and most are resigned to accepting a less than perfect display because they know that numerous exchanges are unlikely to bear any fruit, and that there's the very real possibility of being lumbered with an even worse one.

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015

I think you need a snickers. I'm not the one losing my mind over something so dumb. LCD tech is flawed. I've never seen a Perfect LCD display. OLED is close but who knows when Apple will adopt it.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010

I believe you. However when for me the spot is 9 out of 9, I find difficult to leave it alone. I suspect, if I look at your screen, I know what to look for, I might see it. I know for sure when it's not there.

Example, @powerbook911 told me about the book binding bleed across the top. I couldn't see it. However, the last two phones I have had in my possession, I know the bleed is there. The only way to see it, is to hold the phone upside-down and look down at it. I swear it wasn't there before, but by happenstance I saw it on my third phone. It was an "Oh no!" moment for me. Then I realized I was holding it upside down and righted it - then it was gone. I picked up my second phone which was still near me at the Apple Store. It had it too, when holding upside down. Now I wonder if my original phone had this. This is a non-issue, as who holds their phone upside down. My point is, sometimes you don't see something, until you see it, and then you can't get out out of your mind. It's both not fair for you and for Apple.

With all that said, the spot is not simple a "not seen, until seen" issue. It's really there, because for a fact that my 6 Plus does not have it at all, and I wasn't looking for it in the first place. It's not a mental thing, and yet it is... It's subliminal.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I think you need a snickers. I'm not the one losing my mind over something so dumb. LCD tech is flawed. I've never seen a Perfect LCD display. OLED is close but who knows when Apple will adopt it.

Man no one losing their mind over this defect. I think you're losing your mind for caring that others are minding the defect. LOL!!! Lcd tech my arse, the 6+ did not have this issue. Isn't it the same LCD? Stop blaming this on LCD tech. Something behind the screen is causing this issue because it's in the same spot for all that has it. It's not the LCD, period!!!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm seeing book spine shadow edges and top wavy shadows and the lower left blotch only if I've got my backlight turned down low below the halfway mark and I'm in a room with a lot of ambient lighting like a room in the house that has a skylight and it's bright but cloudy outside. Then I see all the things driving people crazy here very faintly. And I also have to hold the phone at an angle to see some of them.

The bookspine shadow edge on the left side is for me the more persistent across variable lightning and noticeable blemish and it's extremely faint even then.

So I think the source of these problems is common (the way the phone is put together?) to all of our 6S pluses but the degree they manifest is highly variable and bother different people in a variable way, too.

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Man no one losing their mind over this defect. I think you're losing your mind for caring that others are minding the defect. LOL!!! Lcd tech my arse, the 6+ did not have this issue. Isn't it the same LCD? Stop blaming this on LCD tech. Something behind the screen is causing this issue because it's in the same spot for all that has it. It's not the LCD, period!!!
You obviously don't know much about LCD tech. Even the person who quoted you above has only seen one "perfect" display on an iPhone after years of returns. GL on your search for the perfect display, lol! So salty....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.