Will the PS3 & Wii actually be released this fall?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Torajima, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Torajima macrumors regular

I'm starting to doubt that the PS3 and Wii will be released this fall.

Software for both was running on developers units at e3, the hardware specs have yet to be finalized for either machine, and Sony apparently has massive overheating issues to overcome. Mario (arguably Nintendo's biggest title) won't be finished in time for a fall launch, nor will any of Sony's big named titles.

Even if all the hardware issues were solved soon, it's doubtful either company could produce enough units by the fall for a worldwide launch.

So, if past history is any indication, I'd expect both units to be delayed until the spring, at least in America... with perhaps a limited launch in Japan before Christmas. That's the best case scenario... worst case, Japan in the Spring, the rest of the world Fall 2007.

Who would the winners and losers be if this happens?

Obviously this would be good for Microsoft, as they'd have no competition this Christmas. But I think Sony would benefit from a staggered release as well, as economies of scale may help them to lower the price of the PS3 substantially by the America launch (this happened with the original Playstation).

Nintendo would be the real loser... as they'd lose all the mindshare and good will they generated during e3.

I hope this doesn't happen, but I'm afraid it might.

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'd be surprised if they didn't, at least the Wii... which in turn would make me think Sony would try very hard to not miss the US holidays with so much competition.

Then again, if they don't, I won't mind... I have GBA games to finish, GameCube games to finish, a bunch of good 306 games to start and finish... and I'm wanting a DS Lite with some of those DS games.... I have PLENTY to keep me entertained well into next year, heh!

3. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I don't see how Sony could afford to miss this Christmas, Nintendo either. It'll leave ms with too much dominance over the market and Nintendo have said they plan on shipping 4 million units by the end of this year (I think) so thats seems like a fairly specific number. If they want it to be a greater success than the GC they'll have to.

4. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Are you kidding me, no way are Nintendo and Sony going to miss the holiday season....im not sure how you thought of this, and the wii has been basically perfected so it would have to come out then....and so what if mario is not ready...it will be within 6 months, and who cares. Twilight Princess is out on launch day so that wil be a huge seller, i really dont see the point of this thread

5. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

there are no (known) hardware issues with the wii, the specs probably are finalized and we just don't know them yet, zelda and metroid (among others) are just as big if not bigger than mario and they will be available day one, and nintendo will certainly be able to produce enough units in time for launch, if at the very least, having the same problem microsoft had last year. :cool:

I have no idea what to think about the ps3, but do you honestly believe any of what you just said?? :rolleyes:

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

The Wii's processing seems to be pretty evolutionary, compared to the other console's architecture changes, so I doubt nintendo will have much trouble getting it running. Nintendo looks like it will have several big launch titles ready, so I don't think that's a concern either.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can't see the PS3 coming out in Europe until 07. Sony are banging on about the PS3's simultaneous launch, yet we're also hearing about hardware issues and delays. nah. Maybe Japan in 06 but 07 for the UK at least.

I can see the Wii being a bit later than announced in the UK. November sounds likely to me.

edit: plus Sony has no love for Europe. Massively increased console prices and extended delays... we had to wait 9 months for the PSP to come out here. no love.

8. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Wii are definitely launching the Wii this fall. There are plenty of games (over 27) almost ready if not ready..

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Of course, a lot of this can be attributed to laws, regulations, region coding, etc. etc. If you can prove that anyone "hates" the UK and jacks the prices up just "because" I'd like to see it.

As far as release? Both or either one may not be released in early-mid fall, but closer to late fall, they definitely want to be out when the biggest shopping days are abound.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Wii'll be fine. The GameCube launched without a Mario title, which came out within a couple months (Sunshine). The Wii has Zelda and Metroid.

The devs I talked to were under the impression they were using final or near-final hardware.

I suspect Sony might be delayed. They seem to be having some hardware troubles, the system is expensive, they're taking huge losses, and IBM is having yield problems. Manufacturing enough for demand might be a problem, and add the extra costs of a worldwide launch? I'm expecting Sony to only launch in one or two territories this fall.

Nintendo could easily have a worldwide launch though. The system is cheap to produce and uses mostly smaller/faster versions of existing technology, and is cheap. They also have more games ready to go and the games are cheaper and easier to develop. Some companies are even porting current gen titles as launch titles (Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Cars, etc).

11. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Sony announced today they are pushing the release of their blueray players back again. They have been pushed to October..

12. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I said before and of course I was flamed to death that the ps3 will not be in stores for people to buy untill after the 1st of the year. If you preordered it you still might not get it. How are they going to make enough(six million) to sell in a few months. If I can walk into a store in december and buy a ps3 I will eat my hat.

13. mkaake macrumors 65816

and look at what you missed out on... :D

Nintendo will be there on schedule... they're not working with any specialty hardware really, so there's no reason for manufacturing to get held up. I dunno... the vibe I'm getting is that the hardware is final, and they've started producing units in small numbers, but that's just my gut. And they've said multiple times that they plan on having 4 mil out the door by the end of the year - and I don't think that's lip service. They really want to have a better go at it than they did with the 'cube.

14. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Yes...it will be released. If sony knows what's good for business, they'll drop it right on schedule.

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    really?! Will you record this cos that would be quite a feat, especially if it's made of wicker or straw. :p

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, I would, but then I don't do business in the UK (or anywhere else really).

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

um.. I didn't use the word hate. so why put it in quote marks?

Anywho. Can you explain why the UK price is massively hiked up compared to everywhere else? some numbers to crunch -

PS3= £430 / $793
    430 - 17.5%
    = £354.75
    = $654.86
    (this is assuming Sony pay a 17.5% VAT on import. I don't know the figure for corporate import)

This isn't including games, just the barebones Premium system.
    My guess is that extra £54 trying to make up for that £76 added VAT. If anybody remembers the stunts Sony have pulled to get tax refund on the PS2. IF the PS3 does get classed as a computer (doubt it) then would Sony lower the price tag?

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

I, like many others, am convinced that the Wii will definitely be here by the Holiday season in the US. It's too perfect of a time to launch something like a console. Really, though, I just want a release date so I can go to Best Buy or EBGames and Pre Order a Wii and Zelda.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

See the Wii benefits from the low price. Which is good at Christmas. "oh look, a £120 new console!" *impulse buys as it's xmas and thats what happens*. The PS3 doesn't need to come out at Christmas. At it's current price point it wont be an impulse buy and the first sold will be to the Sony fans. With the Wii at anywhere between £120-150, the 360 at £200-270 and the PS3 at £350-430 its obvious which will be eaten up by the market over the holidays.

A cheap machine aimed to get everyone playing games is going to be a top machine at xmas. the family period and that. Maybe the 360 too if they get that price drop.

20. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

dude, this is the most pointless thread ever. no way in hell is either sony or nintendo missing this holiday. the 360 will have been out a year already by then...

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So they're not going to miss Christmas because you said so?

22. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

good luck trying to find one before(or on) christmas.You will have to preorder it. and if the XBOX360 pre orders were $1000-2000 then the ps3 will be $3000. I never preorder anything. Why do I want to buy a package deal with games I don't want. EB games is such a rip off.You might have to take out a loan to get a ps3 on ebay for $5000.I like to just walk into a store and pay and leave. I'll wait untill feb.

23. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

they're not going to miss christmas because they're generally lots of people that are willing to spend a lot.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm afraid however that Sony may rush the PS3 into stores much like Microsoft did before they've produced enough, causing another shortage.

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Lets hope for the best...Sony has fire under the pot already and I don't want to see them bringing out half arsed systems that cost more than my rent.

no overheating or locking sony!

Bless