Will the public Vista beta 2 run on Parallels Desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by animefx, Jun 7, 2006.

1. animefx macrumors regular

I was wondering if I could download the public beta 2 of Vista and run it using Parallels Desktop on my MacBook? Will it work?

For the record... I have 2 gigs of ram. The video card is a big downfall of course, but I think in Vista you can disabled a lof of the effects.

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Well, since the CPP isn't out yet, no, you can't. But when it's released, you'll be able to dual-boot with it and I imagine it would run in Parallels as well. There's no need to worry about the video card in dual-boot--it's Aero Glass ready.

3. JohnEZ macrumors member

Sorry, but I really must ask... could you define CPP?

Thnks,
    John

4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Oh, sure. CPP = Customer Preview Program. It's the Beta version of Vista that will be released this summer to the general public. It'll probably have a 180-day life cycle like its predecessors, but it's the first version of Vista that will be free and legal for anyone to use and sample Windows Vista. I imagine that it will be released before July 1st so that it becomes unusable before Vista's actual retail launch (they don't want people to use it for free when it's out for sale!).

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thanks for that link, but where's the actual signup page? I expect that you'll need to register to get a CD key.

Edit: Found it, it's here.

Edit 2: I tried to sign up and it told me "You have received the maximum number of Product Keys available for this program." However, I didn't get any! :confused:

6. ziutek macrumors member

7. ziutek macrumors member

Weird, I just signed up for a product key and I got one. Maybe you should try again?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I tried again and it said exactly the same thing. I'm going to try again with a different email address and see what happens.

Edit: Nope, same thing. Which browser did you use? I've tried Safari and Camino.

9. ziutek macrumors member

Hey Nermal, i sent you a pm with information about obtaining the product key.

10. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Oh, excellent. They should update their Windows Vista page to include the link!

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You'd think they could manage that :rolleyes:

Maybe they're waiting for the initial surge to die down. Or maybe they forgot.

12. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Microsoft? Prepared for an on-time launch? There's a joke in there somewhere...

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member