Will the Sims that I have work?

Discussion in 'Games' started by iMatt mini, Aug 7, 2005.

1. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

If I bought The Sims for PC, will it work on Mac?
    Don't think so but it has minimum requirements and it can't hurt to ask. :)

2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Simply put, no. I'm a new switcher. But that's why they have separate versions for the games. Sorry.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nope, you'll need the Mac version – if you could run PC games on the Mac they wouldn't bother releasing Mac versions. ;)

Both the original Sims and Sims 2 are both out on the Mac platform so getting your hands on a copy shouldn't be a problem.

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Not without VPC. And you're better off to buy the Mac one in that case anyway.

5. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah, forget it then. I bought every version for Windows. Not worth it. Again. :p

6. Switzermac macrumors regular

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is something I wish they'd change. Some games, like Warcraft and Myst, have the Mac and Windows versions in the same box. But other games, like Sims and Star Wars, are sold separately. I'd love to be able to go down to the local shop and buy games off the shelf, but instead I need to buy online at USA prices, plus international delivery :(

8. rkristich macrumors member

It seems so long ago when both Mac and Windows versions of games would usually come in the same box. Actually, the last time I remember seeing that was back when disks were used, not CDs. I also remember that all the Maxis games I had, even the newer ones (This was when Sim City 2000 was new) came with both version.

I really wish it was still like this nowadays, as pretty much the only videogames I play are Maxis games. What happens, especially with the Sims expansion packs is that I'll buy the Windows version and play it on my Dell, since I know it will be a very long time before a Mac version comes out. But eventually the Mac version will come out, and I'll be compelled to spend another $30 on the exact same game just so I can play on a computer that I enjoy using.

But I guess in today's world of such advanced and complex video games, it's just not finacially realistic to put both versions in the same box.

And I too dislike that I can't go to a local store and get the Mac version. I have to wait to go to an Apple Store or order it online. Plus, I get jealous of all the $5 video game classics at Wal-Mart. I would love to get some of the older games and play them on my Mac, but they're almost always for Windows only.

Okay, video game rant over :)

9. applekid macrumors 68020

If our market share didn't shrink so drastically over the last decade or two, we'd probably still have developers that would develop games in-house for the Mac and PC. But, with our 5% market share (or is it 10% now? I read an article where it jumped...), publishers are going to continue to outsource their games to porting houses.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Gaming is fine on my PC but i can not install lots of games cuz XP will crash and lose all my mom's work stuff

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And I don't have a problem with that. I just wish that they'd "in-source" the Mac version once it's completed, pay the porting house, and include both versions in the same box.

12. cubist macrumors 68020

I wish people would stop saying that. It's untrue.

You cannot run 3D games in VPC. That includes most newer top-level games. However, solitaire and other graphically-simple games work fine. Older DOS games may be OK too. To make a blanket statement such as the above is wrong.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

How is installing a game going to crash a PC?

Yes, you are correct. But when most people are talking about "computer gaming" they are not talking about solitaire. More often than not, they talking about high-end graphic games.