Will the True Mac Gamers please stand up?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Marathon4ever, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

I'm writing this post because I'm sick of seeing the numerous amounts of posts about what console someone is thinking of buying or what specs someone should get for their Windows box that they are buying for gaming. This is a MAC Gaming forum, yet there seems to be very few True Mac Gamers posting in here.

So what makes someone a True Mac Gamer? Let me clarify for those who may be uninformed.

First and foremost, a True Mac Gamer DOES NOT LIKE and certainly DOES NOT OWN an Xbox! No True Mac Gamer will buy or play a Microsoft game - especially Halo!! Those of you not familiar with Mac Gaming history should know that it was Microsoft that destroyed the GREATEST MAC GAME COMPANY THERE EVER WAS: Bungie Software.

MICROSOFT IS THE ULTIMATE ENEMY OF THE MACINTOSH. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either fooling themselves or has been brainwashed by their bombardment of advertisements in our favorite Mac magazines, websites, etc.

Moving along, a True Mac Gamer does not own a PC on the side for gaming. A True Mac Gamer ONLY GAMES ON HIS OR HER MAC - with the possible exception of a Nintendo, Sega, or Sony system on the side. The video game world is different enough, and is great for inviting friends over and multiplaying into the wee hours (though, the same thing can be done on Mac with several gamepads). Additionally, a True Mac Gamer will not buy an Intel Mac and then proceed to install a dual boot with Windows for gaming.
    Now, granted there are some very amazing games out there that are for Windows only, but a True Mac Gamer knows there are plenty of great titles available on the Mac to keep him or her busy.

Another requirement for being a True Mac Gamer is that you BUY ALL OF YOUR MAC GAMES. The more Mac Games we collectively buy, the more titles we will end up seeing on our platform. If you pirate your Mac Games, then you are just perpetuating the problem of never seeing certain titles and delayed releases. Also, as above, if you buy a Windows game for your PC gaming rig which is also available on the Mac, then you are again keeping more titles from hitting the Apple platform.
    I own several Mac Games that I have not even gotten a chance to play yet, and I am still buying new ones because I know it's going to mean more games in the future.

So now I am opening up this thread for the True Mac Gamers out there to sound off and LET YOURSELF BE HEARD. I'll start off:
    I'm Dave, a True Mac Gamer, and I wait for the day when every computer game that comes out will have a Mac version inside the box.

btw, this is what a True Mac Gamer's shelf looks like. ( I have more boxes, but I'm not sure where they are at the moment)

gameshelf.jpg

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm glad I'm not a "True Mac Gamer", if that's what it takes.:cool:

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

SWEEEET collection. . . I love the great mix of oldies and new games! Simtower for life.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I guess I fit most of the criteria. Whats the pay like?

5. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

YOU are not a TRUE Mac Gamer!

A TRUE Mac Gamer says NO to consoles - a TRUE Mac Gamer has no need for the console gaming world, a TRUE Mac Gamer's needs are met 100% by the Mac Gaming world!!!1

A TRUE Mac Gamer would NEVER buy an Intel Mac to begin with! DO NOT believe what all those advertisements have brainwashed you to: INTEL IS AN EVIL COMPANY!!1

NO!!!1 A TRUE Mac Gamer acknowledges the FACT that there are NO amazing games out there for Windows only. The ONLY amazing games out there have already been ported to Mac or are being ported. ZOO TYCOON, FOR INSTANCE.

Let ME clarify: YOU are not a TRUE Mac Gamer. :rolleyes:

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Rocksaurus, if those are what you live by, you can't be a gamer.

7. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

well, I'm pretty sure he was making fun of the original poster... but seriously, you are making it sound like being a mac gamer is some religion BS or something, seriously, microsoft is not an evil company, they, just like apple, have one end goal, to make money, that is number one in all companies, now, maybe apple and microsofts other values are different, but when it comes down to it, they are both companies looking to make money, and microsoft is a lot better at it, even if their products arent as nice as Apples, and seriously, not even jobs would lie, any company would love to make as much money as microsoft. and rockasaurus is right, if you really wanted to be super hard core, then you'd only play on a mac. Now i am into games, I use my mac, my DS/GBA, PC, xbox, I had a PSP, an N64, PS2, gamecube, 3DO and a SNES, they all have been good, and as it stands, the 360 is the best system out there (I dont have one, but I've used them), now when the other systems come out it will be different.

I guess my point is, what is the point of being a total mac gamer? a REAL, HARDCORE gamer would realize that there are good and bad aspects to every system, if a game is avialable for PC and mac, I'd go mac because I'd rather play a game on a mac, but if a game like GTA is only on PC or xbox, I'd have no issue using a microsoft product to be able to have access to an awesome game. by saying no to all things microsoft you aren't going to ever see the entire gaming world. you can hate Halo cause its microsoft, but in the end, its the most popular console game ever, and weather you like it or not, it is a good game, and everyone should at least try it out

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

well i am not a true mac gamer because i dont play games on the mac at all...oh well too bad...who the hell cares

Bless

9. Marathon4ever thread starter macrumors regular

I have played Halo and it is a boring FPS. The only reason it's the most popular console game ever is because M$ advertised the hell out of it and payed off the reviewers to give it a great score until everyone actaully thought it was a great game.

Being a True Mac Gamer is the perfect combination of being a die-hard Mac User and a hardcore gamer. Microsoft is the enemy because they swallowed up and digested the greatest Mac Game company of all time. I really don't care if they did it because it made great business sense. They killed my FAVORITE company. One that released some of the best games ever to grace the Mac platform.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The sarcasm just went right over your head, didn't it.

Let me give you a hint.

If you ever see "!!!!!111" that either means the poster is incredibly stupid, or is mocking someone.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Once Starcraft 2 comes out, I'll be a Mac gamer again. :cool:

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

No way, Diablo III will be THE game.

13. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

wait... you do realize that Bungie released halo for the xbox, THEN microsoft bought them, right? and Halo was in devlopment since before the xbox was announced (as a PC/mac game), then they decided to change it to xbox as they thought it would be better suited as a console game.

14. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

As others have been pointing out... I was kidding. The point I was trying to make is that this guy's drawing the line of "True Mac Gamer" in a completely abitrary place, and so I drew it in the most extreme place I could think of to try to make that point.

You're both right. If it wasn't for Blizzard I wouldn't play any computer games at all.

15. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

agreed, if you want to be a 'true mac gamer' it would make since that you only play on the mac, just as one would expect a true nintendo gamer would only use nintendo systems (nintendo, SNES, N64, GC, GB, GBA, DS). It seems like you are less the 'true mac gamer' and more the 'anti-microsoft gamer'

16. cubist macrumors 68020

UT2004 works fine on the Mac, and it's plenty fun... The promise of games like World of Warcraft is that the platform will become irrelevant - the game should move transparently from platform to platform, so that someday, we might play WoW on a handheld while commuting, then on a computer in the office.

Technology should blur platform boundaries, not crystallize them. I'm disappointed that the Intel Macs don't run Classic. They should; and they should have built-in VPC so that they can run both Mac and Windows applications transparently. Eventually, technology should advance to the point of having a computer which can run any program ever written.

17. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Amen. Until then, it's Nintendo all the way, baby.

If it makes you feel any better, I saved 400 bucks by buying Mutant Storm for mac instead of xbox.

But I use a 360 controller to play it :eek:

Besides, none of those games on your shelf really interest me... I don't like 'computer games.' That's probably why I have a mac. :D

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Wait...you love marathon but you hate halo... WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!! those games are so bloody similar... the rocket launcher even has the same desighn.

...your stupid go away

*On the positive myth is an amazing game I really need to get now that I think of it.

19. Zuroxx Guest

Zuroxx

ehhh

owned pretty much... although he does have an impressive mac game collection

IM me on AIM lol or some **** like that

20. Marathon4ever thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, Halo was in production way before Microsoft bought out Bungie, but no Bungie released Halo for the Xbox AFTER M$ bought them out.

Furthermore, Halo was going to be an entirely different game before M$ got their hands on it and changed the whole thing around. It was originally going to be a large multiplayer online team-based combat game in the 3rd person perpective. Then M$ forced Bungie to change it for their Xbox release into a ho-hum generic FPS. The original idea for Halo would have made the game a great classic, but instead it became just another mindless FPS.

how can I be owned by someone who doesn't even have his history straight??

21. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

um, excuse me... but halo is a classic, maybe now amongst all of the FPS halo seems like 'all the rest' but halo started it all, it was the first really hardcore FPS for console with vehicles and large multiplayer, maybe not what bungie originally planed, but you have to realize, its like 5 years old! People still play this game all the time, I think that any game that is still played al lthe time 5 years later would be considered a 'classic'. In 10 years when people get nostalgic and say I wanan get an xbox again! they will get Halo 1and/or 2, just like how people now say I want a nintendo with duck hunt! they go together, this is a classic FPS, maybe not the best or newest or first, but it started the 'modern' FPS, it was the biggest, the first to really use vehiles for combat sucsfully. it has all the makings of a classic game

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure about being a true Mac gamer or not.

I've got a lot of games that were created for or ported to Macintosh. Still, I don't play many of them. I also have a few older game consoles as well as a Nintendo GameCube and DS handheld.

I'm just happy that UT2004 works quite well and that online games work pretty well, too. Of course, it would be nice if there were more excellent quality games. We don't need all the x86/Windows junk that's out there but of course, there are a few titles that should be ported. It just seems as though there aren't enough people who own a Macintosh who are buying games.

23. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

generally speaking, for most people its much cheaper to buy a lower end mac (mac mini, iBook, powermac G4, etc) and then get some sort of console as opposed to a mac thats powerful enough to run the few mac games out there

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Some people are into wizards, some are into orcs, some are into aliens - it's all good, no matter what you play.

That being said, SC2 would kick D3's butt. :eek: :p ;) :D

They definitely make some quality games.... :cool:

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

More than that, they they do one thing that should endear them to all Mac users: we get the game the same time that PC users do, and not as a port or afterthought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.