Will the Wii follow the path of the DS's franchises?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Aug 4, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Just a thought here. I've been very, very disappointed in franchise games on the DS.

Consider. Every major franchise game, other than Nintendo's franchises, that came to the DS ended up sucking. I was incredibly excited about Burnout Legends. I told people how Burnout is coming to DS. Yay Burnout!

Burnout Legends came out. It was a bad stripped down version making no use of the DS's functions and trying to imitate the PSP version, and played so horribly it was almost unplayable.

King Kong DS was short and also virtually unplayable, with constant bugs causing you to walk through the floor and only a couple enemies found in the whole game and no way to die as Kong.

Spider-Man? Spider-Man 2 on consoles was spectacular. So was Ultimate Spider-Man. The DS versions stunk.

Star Wars? Everyone thought lightsaber dueling with a touch screen would be awesome. OMG! A Star Wars game has been announced! Then it turns out to be a GBA up-port.

MegaMan Battle Network DS! Everyone familiar with the franchise (granted, most of you on MR are not) was terribly excited. Especially hoping it would have online play. Turns out it was a port of the last GBA game (MMBN 5) with a map added and the ability to tweak your stats on the touch screen.

Need for Speed Underground 2? Poor imitation of the full game.

Rayman, Madden, X-Men, Prince of Persia, Monkey Ball, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Marven Nemesis. All popular franchises that came out HORRIBLE on the DS.

The best DS games ended up being in fact the completely original ones, and the Nintendo franchises. Imitations of console and PSP games like Madden and Burnout and NFS looked like crap and played clunky, not utilizing the DS's features well or at all. Up-ports from GBA like Star Wars Episode 3 or MegaMan Battle Network DS or Robots felt like a ripoff and played no differently than their predecessors other than some touch screen gimmicks. Even the games designed ground up for the system were too conventional, like Spider-Man.

Instead, the games that are proving to be the best and most popular are the new franchises people have never heard of before, and Nintendo's franchises. The third party games we expect to be good based on the franchise name end up being terrible and purchased by no one. The ones that come out of the left field end up being the most popular. The new concepts, too, end up the most popular, while existing franchises falter if they retain their classic gameplay style. Things like Brain Age and Nintendogs, WarioWare and Trauma Center, Pheonix Wright and Advance Wars...

Well, let's look at the Wii. Right now, companies are announcing franchise games left and right. I'm starting to worry that these franchise games might just be up-ports of current-gen titles that were never released on GameCube (or that were!), with a motion sensing gimmick or two thrown in. Games like Cars, Far Cry, Ant Bully, Rampage, Blitz: The League, Open Season, Prince of Persia...these might just be up-ports of current gen games that are upgraded (then again they may be all new, who knows).

There's also the possibility of downgraded imitations of PS3 and XBox 360 games, and all new games that try to hard to follow their old formula and suck for it.

On the other hand, I expect games we've never heard of to take the spotlight, and new franchises to be born. Despite the silly look to it, I applaud Konami for making a new franchise like Elebits just for the new control system.

I'll be wary of ports on the Wii after the DS. Anyone else worried this might happen to the major franchises?

2. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

If ports are important to you, just get an Xbox 360. I, however, can't wait to get a Wii.

3. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

That's a very good point and it very well could happen. Although I have to say that the supposed gamecube to wii ports won't be as bad as the GBA to DS. Here's why: although the DS can do 3d rendered graphics, I believe that it is better suited for 2d gaming. This is probably why developers either up-ported their GBA versions or dumbed down the 3d ports from other consoles.

Now I'm won't belittle the actual capabilities of the DS: Metroid PH and the upcoming Star Fox game look really, really nice, but I'm sure that kind of power takes a lot of optimization that developers don't have time to invest in when making 3d ports to handhelds.

Now the gamecube IS a 3d capable machine (RE4, Metroid Prime?), and with a 2 fold increase in system speed in the Wii, this machine will be capable of displaying very nice graphics.

Anyway, I have a lot of points to make, but I have to leave. I'll come back later

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

You raise some interesting points, GFLPraxis, and there may be a little cause for concern especially because the new control system may just end up being a gimmick or support for it will exist in gimmick form. However, you, yourself have said that Wii Madden played very well with the new controls and so I'm sure that EA will devote a good amount of support this time around-not that they didn't for the gamecube, but I think you can let go of the fear that EA won't truly try to develop for the Wii.

I also think that any studio coding a FPS will actuallly take the time to develop for the Wii-mote, as it seems to be perfectly suited for it. I really felt like the cross-platform games on the cube (for the most part) were at least decent ports from the other consoles, and that as far as the Wii is concerned, we should get some more decent ports. It just seems to me that it's a little harder to port from console to handheld.

Mavimao also raised a good point that the Wii is a fully 3d capable console. Not that there isn't 3d power on the DS, but there is much more power on the Wii. As Mavimao said, the DS is better suited for 2d games (lets face it, most of the "excellent" games on the DS are 2d or simple 3d (AC:WW, MK) or highly optimized for the DS (MP:H and Starfox).

In short, I think we're ok on the Wii.

5. bmb012 macrumors 6502

What about Tony Hawk, Viewtiful Joe, Phenix Wright, FFIII...

The DS just doesn't have enough cpu to power something like a Burnout engine, maybe you just need to stop buying ports :p

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why would anyone look forward to these crappy games?

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

That's what I was thinking :p

With SSBB, Zelda, SMG, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Project H.A.M.M.E.R, an expanded port of Far Cry Instincts: Evolution, Prince of Persia Wii, Wii Sports, Red Steel, I think the line-up couldn't look better.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

On the other hand, some of the big franchises for the DS are great. Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Metroid, off the top of my head. The Zelda DS looks fantastic as well, and I have a feeling it could be the best Zelda game yet.

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Yeah, developers are lazy a lot of the times and I'm sure we'll see a lot of halfass ports for the Wii. But I also think that the quality stuff built specifically for the system will far surpass and outshine all of the trash that it gets.

I like the large (and growing larger) 3rd party support that Nintendo is mustering up, but (again) the one caveat is - how long will these companies stick around, and how much work will they actually put into their games? On the other side of the coin though, I've gotta believe that 3rd party multiplatform developers will probably develop with the Wii in mind first because:

-It's the cheapest in system cost and development cost, so laying out the groundwork will cost the least on the Wii yet remain a positive point for developers because more people will be able to afford a Wii over the competing consoles.

-Putting in Wiimote support first and then removing it afterwards in favor of the other two systems having traditional controllers is a smarter idea, so we should hopefully see a lot of games developed around the system that take advantage of it instead of being sloppy lazy ports.

-Nintendo is almost always gold with what they release and they've been pretty spot-on with DS titles, so I have all the faith in them.

The Wii could end up being a Nintendo-centric system with a few great 3rd party titles (just like the Gamecube has been) and it really wouldn't bother me in the least. I'd like to see Nintendo on top again because I think they're the best company in the videogame world right now (and the best thing for it considering that *my belief* is that Nintendo is in it to make great games first and money second, versus Sony and Microsoft who want to make money first and games second). But either way, I'm still going to own a 2nd console (most likely an Xbox 360) before all's said and done, so I don't have to rely sorely on Nintendo's effort if they don't do so well.

But I think they'll do just fine; I'm really interested in the system and have been for a long time now. :D

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nintendo games are always better for their own system, and for the DS and Wii with such special controls will be best used by Nintendo but there is nothing stopping 3rd party game makers from using the other controlllers(Nintendo it's self said F-Zero games with be better with a GameCube/Classic type of controller)

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

You know, I hadn't drawn the line between the creators and the quality of the games, but it makes sense now that you pointed it out.

I figure that the DS' unique control interface has thrown the developers for a loop. I see your worry that the Wii will suffer because of developers who haven't made the mental leap to the new system.

Well, at least the Big N should have some good games. :)

12. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

OK, I am back to make a few more points...

As I was saying, the Wii has more power, and i'd like to make this last point about raw power. If we do see ports made to the Wii based on games produced for the other two next gen consoles, I predict that we'll see something along the lines of the Xbox Doom3 port. It had to be dumbed down, but in the end you managed to get the feel of the game. Given the apparent ease to program the Wii, I have no doubts that the developers could make decent ports.

This is the trouble, will they? Who knows. Will they take time to fine tune the controller? Perhaps. I feel the unique controller scheme of the Wii is much more pronounced than the DS, and this has excited developers a lot. We know that much for sure. Therefore, we might see these 3rd party gaming companies think of the Wii as this labor of love, whereas the other two are for business. This is way different from the Gamecube which did nothing more than the other consoles at the time. The Wii offers something new and exciting and I could see developers wanting to spend a lot of time with the weird new console and get creative, rather than rehashing the same games and schemes over and over.

Now another problem concerning 3rd party companies is competing against Nintendo. Their 1st party titles are so popular that they tend to overshadow the competition. This makes them have to compete even more. How long will they try to compete with the big N before they give up and move onto other things.

So we have three cons: lower specs, weird controller and Nintendo's first party titles.

Pros: tons of hype for the Wii and potential large market share (it seems that nearly everyone wants to get one), weird controller, cheap, easy to program.

Now all we do is wait and see.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Lets hope the Wii get some really good games 1st party and 3rd party. I want to see all the developers take advantage of everything the wii is offering.....some of them might get lazy leaving Nintendo to fill the gap with their 1st party titles.

I really don't like games on the DS that don't use the touch feature in game(not just to click the damn select screen:rolleyes: ) But the Wii is all about the being in the game so I hope the corners that get cut are not that bad....If you get what I'm saying.

Bless

14. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

No, I think that handhelds are a completely different market that everyone, besides nintendo, spends less time on. The main event is the home console, and nintendo will make sure it succeeds this time if the wiimote works as well as they describe.

15. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

True, I was just listing the stuff that came up at the top of the latest articles of announced games :) There has been a ton of popular franchises with announced titles, but very little info.

Pulling up the PDF on Nintendo's Press Page...here are some examples.

Marvel™: Ultimate Alliance
    Call of Duty® 3
    Dragon Ball Z Budokai: Tenkaichi 2
    Mobile Suit GUNDAM
    SD GUNDAM G BREAKER
    Metal Slug Anthology (classic Metal Slug games w/motion gimmicks)
    Avatar: The Last Airbender (the PS2 version SUCKED)
    Disney/Pixar Cars
    ONE PIECE UNLIMITED ADVENTURE
    The Ant Bully
    Happy Feet
    Medal of Honor Airborne

Plus the recent announcements of Far Cry, Prince of Persia, Mortal Kombat, etc...

All of these games look to be up-ports or down-ports of next-gen or current gen console games (Call of Duty 3, for example, looks to be a down-port).

SD Gundam is a good example. I played it at E3. It was really nothing more than a generic walk-around mech game, and you could twitch the controller wildly to swing a mace or attack in a direction, no more than pressing a direction on an analog stick, and it wasn't very precise at all. Just gimmick controls.

Then there were games like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Excite Truck, etc that just made me salivate.

I was smart enough not to buy most of them :)

However, these are all Nintendo franchises, which are the exception as I stated in my post.

Very true.

I'm not expecting the Wii to suck- to the contrary, I expect there to be tons of spectacular games. However, I'm wondering if I should not get excited about popular franchise games coming to Wii, because if it's anything like the DS, the original titles may end up better than non-Nintendo franchises.

16. Agilus macrumors regular

What about Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow? I'm enjoying it so far.... I don't know how much of an "up-port" it is from GBA, however, since I haven't played any of the GBA ones yet.