Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
The Wii just became available for the MSRP on Amazon after 7 months of not being in stock. I ordered it but now im having second thoughts and thinking i probably should have splurged for the 360 instead. I get the feeling i'd be bored with the Wii after a while as it has less titles than the 360

Ideally i'd prefer owning both but realistically i cant. Since the 360 has more titles, im thinking it'll have more longevity as i can buy games for it in the future and there's the XBL factor but with the wii, i see myself only playing it when friends come over. I dunno

If you had the choice which would it be?

PS im an mid-line gamer....not soo hardcore...not soo amateur/casual.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
The Wii is great fun with a bunch of friends but the 360 is definitely the stronger platform for solo/internet gaming.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I've had the Wiisince launch day and there aren't that many games out for it yet. I bought Zelda and Red Steel with it, and completed Red Steel within a couple of days. Zelda will keep you going for longer and is a really good game. If you want a console which is going to deliver games straight away then you should opt for the 360, but if your willing to wait for games to come out for the Wii then you should go for that, as I believe the Wii is a lot more of a "fun" console. I'm playing Resident Evil 4 on my Wii at the moment (the GC version) and I love it, and if you get a Wii then I would get Zelda, Resident Evil 4 (the Wii version comes out here in the UK at the end of this month) and then you could enjoy those games until Metroid Prime and the other Super Mario range of games come out.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd say so. I've enjoyed playing a few 360 games, but they wear thin after a while. Probably because I compare every FPS to Half Life 2, which is a bit unfair, but I'm spoiled through it.

Now stuff like Excite Truck, even though I'm near to unlocking everything I keep going back just for kicks. setting up another profile. I've invested more time into that game than anything else on my Wii or 360. Then you have Wii Sports which I still play too, just an absurdly great multiplayer game. Zelda is a giantly brilliant game (2nd only to OoT in my opinion, which again is on the Wii too).

I've spent way more on the VC than standard Wii games. Not because of lack of quality Wii games, but because the VC stores the best games ever. Mario, Streets of Rage, Sonic, Zelda. s'all there.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I think the 360 is the stronger system, and probably the strongest right now. The game library is good with a wide range of games to fit most groups (especially if you like shooters lol :D ) and xbl can't be beat. It adds a lot of playing time to some games after you grow tired of the single player mode. and if you have an HDTV or a good Computer monitor, HD graphics are full of HD goodness.

I like the Wii, and Jimmi is right in that the VC is very cool but open up th wallet because it fairly expensive and all those old games are fun but most are short so you will be buying new games left and right. The wiimote thing is really cool but after the you play it for a while the controller coolness kinda becomes a non-factor and it becomes just another method of playing the games. Plus for me, I find it gets a little annoying wiggling my wrist around in a game like Zelda where I could just as easily put the A button to do the same thing.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
All the system will be able to support your needs.

Currently the Xbox 360 has the most games....but the Wii is improving. Its getting MP3 this summer, and Brawl+ Mario Galaxy before the year is out.(Plus other games) But the Xbox 360 is getting Halo3, Mass Effect, Bioshock.(Plus other games)..personally I think the PS3 will be hurting the most...it has some good games, but as tons this year. MGS4+FF13 aren't coming this year...Wii+XBox 360 big games are.

Both system will last you a long time...the Wii will catch up to the Xbox 360 in # of games. Xbox live is great, but the games you can download can't match the Wii. The Wii has MUCH better download able games...and hopefully will start to get new ones soon/ As for online gaming with the Wii...its not great,I'm hoping Nintendo pick it up, for for now Xbox Live win for online gaming

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
So the 360/XBL combo is better as a main gaming system whilst the wii is more of a secondary/hobby system....for now. Hmmm, i might still just leave my order seeing as the console is difficult to come by without paying a premium BUT will be keeping my eye out for the 360.

I wonder if the Elite system will ever make it to the UK. Seeing as the Zune hasn't officially made it here i doubt the Elite will.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The Wii is great fun with a bunch of friends but the 360 is definitely the stronger platform for solo/internet gaming.

Agreed, at this point in time. 360 has better solo/online play; but the solo is only because the Wii's library hasn't really hit. Once Wii has Zelda/Metroid/Mario/Resident Evil/Final Fantasy it'll be a pretty viable competitor for solo play.

The Wii will always be kind of multiplayer with friends and the 360 will always be kind of online play. Right now, the 360 also has more solo games.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
....for now.

Let me emphasize the for now. I've posted this before, allow me to quote:
With Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Party 8, Mario & Sonic At The Olympics, Batallion Wars II, Metroid Prime 3, Manhunt 2, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Guitar Hero III, an exclusive Tony Hawk game, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Wii Music, Soul Calibur Legends, Fire Emblem, Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party, and several other major titles all due in 2007, and multiple Final Fantasy titles, a Kirby game, and a ton more games to be announced at E3 '07 due in 2008...

The Wii's going to do fine.

Of all the games I listed there, Guitar Hero III is the only multiplatform game, and Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is the only port.

By the end of the year we'll be drowning in titles for both the Wii and the 360.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
So the 360/XBL combo is better as a main gaming system whilst the wii is more of a secondary/hobby system....for now.

No....the Wii and PS3 both can hold their own as a main gaming system against the Xbox 360. The 360 might have more, but the Wii has some great games

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
In the end it doesn't matter which has "most games", it's all about what you want. the 360 has more games yes, how many appeal to me? None. The Xbox 1 has many more games, why not go for that?

Few years ago I would play my N64 more than my PS1. Both had great games, but only 1 had Zelda OoT and Goldeneye. Look at specifics in each systems libraries rather than a big overall figure.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Sell your blood and buy both systems. :eek:

I like my Wii, but mainly because it fits my schedule, where as I generally game with friends between our busy schedules. The whole group thing is always fun. I look forward to online play though, so we can get some gaming in late nights on an occasion. I still need to finish Zelda...

<]=)

doctor newb

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
PC, not the computer
well my neighbor bought a 360 then a wii and all he says when i mention playing his wii is "oh that thing" and "Id rather play rainbow six" "im too lazy to play my wii" he says he only uses it when he has alot of friends over. But for the most part he plays xbox 5x more than he plays wii. And after you get past all the extra expense for the 360 you will love the graphics. But if you dont plan on going hi-def keep the wii.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Too lazy to play the wii? Wow, sounds like your buddy shouldn't have even bothered buying one in the first place. I love the fact that just like a mac, the Wii is ready to play right out of the box. Just plug it in, hook up the sensor bar and youre ready. Sure, right now it doesn't have DVD capability, but it will with a coming update! Thats right, no need to buy an accessory just so you can watch DVDs like the 360 makes you do. And all the fuss about online gaming on the Wii, dont worry about it. The Wii is going to have great online games and a great online interface in coming updates.

The Wii can only improve from here.

v-ault

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
If you're a gamer that wants good graphics and something you're more used to, get a 360.

If you're the type of gamer who plays occasionally to relieve stress, get a Wii.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
I just picked up a Wii myself, but already have a 360.

While I think the Wii is great, and especially long term it will have an outstanding library (if the GameCube is any indication - love that system!); I would have to recommend the 360 as a primary system.

Wii has a lot going for it. It's a great "party" system and even though I've only played Excite Truck and Wii Sports so far, it's still an obviously new experience which makes it a blast to play.

You also get a system that can easily access the Internet, weather, etc. For us, that's nice. My wife can use it for casual surfing and e-mail, and weather is nice since we don't have cable tv.

But as nice as the VC is, currently I think the Xbox Live Arcade has much better offerings. Classic games are fun, but you can get those a million different ways. Geometry Wars, Worms, Pac-Man CE, Prince of Persia, Uno, Catan... there is just a lot of great fon on the XBLA that is fresh (most of the time).

Plus, 360 has some big titles headed this way with Halo 3, BioShock, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Blue Dragon, possibly even MGS4, etc. As a system, for a demaning gamer, I don't think there is anything better out there atm.

But by all means keep the Wii if you can, everyone should have one, at least as a secondary system! :)

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I sold my 360 and bought a Wii recently. I'm going back and forth. I didn't play the Cube library...so there's more than enough games. The first week I had it though I felt like I paid 200 extra bucks (can get Cube for 50) to play some party games with friends.

I've realised it's more than that and there's more potential starting about two days ago. Madden has really shaped up and 08 looks amazing with the added stuff for Wii...and I hate US football. Paper Mario is great. Zelda is cool (I have some major gripes with it, but it's a solid game). Brain Age is cool as heck. The Wii Play and Sports titles are a blast with friends.

Bottom line: if I'd have bought 4 months ago I would have been pissed. I think between now and two more months we're entering the time when you can't say there's not depth there for the Wii. Unless you're needing to buy 5 games a week there's more than enough solid gameplay out there for it now.

Paul

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
possibly even MGS4

You like to dream eh? the producer has already come out and said it will only be on the PS3, see "exclusive".

Dare to dream though i suppose ;)

As for the Wii, meh... im sure it will have a lot of titles like the 360, but in that same reasoning im sure a lot of it will be crap/filler like on the 360. Waggle gets really old after a while, especially when its just a PS2 port that adds it. Even Nintendo themselves get lazy with the ports, just look at Mario Party 8 for a good example of that. Manhunt is a PS2 port, they remade RE with waggle.. oh boy.. :rolleyes:

The Wii has the media spotlight for now, its fading though, once that fades and the media moves on to the next "fad" the Wii will have to fight to keep its market share. Mario games alone won't do it, though they may be good, they wont keep them at the top of the market.

My Wii is a great dust collector, I've tried to really get in to it, heck i probably have more games for it than most of the proponents here. The only one that holds my interest for now is Super Paper Mario, if i could use the CC i'd love zelda, but the waggle novelty gets old and honestly id rather have the choice to use it or not.

Get a PS3, overall it will have the better library with less crap filler than the 360 ;) Unless you like FPS games, then the 360 is for you since thats basically the whole 360 library.

Ed

Edit: Here is the article Hao

The influential Metal Gear series, shortly after his keynote address at last week's GO3 expo in Perth, Australia. Although both Kojima's speech and the subsequent interview run across the whole gamut of Kojima's development experience, Kotaku asked the question that has been plaguing the minds of PS3 and Xbox 360 fanboys alike:

Will Metal Gear Solid 4 remain PS3 exclusive?

To answer this question, Kojima, perhaps appropriately, equated the three next gen systems to a moviegoing experience.

"The PS3 is like the theatre, it's a little bit high-priced but it has to be high quality as well," he explained. "The 360 is a DVD, it still needs to be high quality but you need more variations, while the Wii is almost like a TV channel, because every game you have it with your family".

So how does this relate to PS3 exclusivity, you may ask? When the subject changed to Devil May Cry 4 going multiplatform, Kojima knew exactly where the conversation was going.

"Like I said, MGS4 is aimed for the movie theatre, it's aimed for the PS3, so the game's scenario and graphics need this theatre-type hardware," Kojima responded. "It's when a producer has a game that can work on the 'DVD level' that a game will go multiplatform."

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Minor Point:
Manhunt 2 is a new game. New characters...not the lead character even from the first one. So maybe they are reusing some parts the story and executions are completely different.

Paul

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Minor Point:
Manhunt 2 is a new game. New characters...not the lead character even from the first one. So maybe they are reusing some parts the story and executions are completely different.

Paul

Manhunt 2 is being released on the PS2 and Wii, I highly doubt that they didn't port the game from the PS2 version. They just dumb down the graphics for the Wii processor, and add waggle. So its a PS2 port still ;)

Ed

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
This one is different than previous ones to me as it's been in development for both and is coming out "new" at the same time as PS2...the other crappy ports have been games that were already out and then they tacked on Wii movements to release again. So while it might not be an exclusive title it is developed with the Wii in mind from a much earlier development point. To me that makes the game have potential to be a lot better...still not really my cup of tea, but some of the custom moves and what not sound kind of fun.

Paul

"Rockstar told us that the company never once considered releasing the Wii version at a later date, as is sometimes the trend with multiplatform games. They added that they don't consider the Wii build a port of any kind, but rather an affair catered specifically for the Wii audience. Call us sick, but we couldn't be more excited because Nintendo's console will be home to the definitive version."

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Wii finaly arrived two days ago. Thus far i really like it. Out of the box experience was awesome. just plug and play. It also easily spotted my WiFi network and connection was a breeze. Its really tiny and the Powerbrick is decent compared to the 360 and not as noisy

Gameplay. Well, its a different experience. You certainly will get a workout and more importantly have loads of fun while at it. Boxing seems to be the hardest (requiring the most effort) one, of the Wii sports. Overall a very enjoyable experience BUT i found myself yearning for some more detail in the graphics department....adding pepper to wound by the fact that it cant take full advantage of my HDTV. I've been spoilt by the experience of playing GRAW 2 and GOW with awesome detail and effects.

With the Wii, i remember my PS2/XBox saga, i liked the PS2 but found myself playing the Xbox more...played the PS2 when friends bought their games to play

For now i still play the Wii almost everyday and enjoy it highly but at the same time, at the back of my head, i yearn for a little more graphical detail

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
You should pick up the wii component cables if you want HD.

I was told not to do that since i have a Pal version which support 575i. Im not sure though as im in no way an expert just friendly advice. Is SCART (PAL) better than component?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.