Will the wii use memory cards?

Discussion in 'Games' started by twistedlegato, Jun 26, 2006.

1. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Well my question is......Will the wii use memory cards....or an internal hard drive, i think nintendo is gonna use the hard drive so people can use it for extra stuff like the virtual consel..

What do you think??

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

*sigh*

- 512 MB of onboard flash memory
    - SD card slot
    - USB 2.0 ports with external flash/hard drive potential
    - Gamecube memory slots

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nothing more to say :) except the SD card choice is a great idea. Isn't SD the most popular used card format for digital cameras? If you can display images onto TV's as slideshows, that would be excellent for the non-gamer market again.

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I think they said that Gamecube memory cards would only work with Gamecube games. Other than that, yeah SD, flash drives, hard drives etc.

5. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

so am i going to have to buy a hard drive when i get my wii???

6. therevolution macrumors 6502

Have to? No. Only if you want to.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

bit of news about this just seeped out today...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=142075

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'm not really surprised that they've "officially" stated there'd be other options. I'm assuming that in addition to SD cards, you'll be able to use the usb ports to connect thumb drives for saving, and probably external hard drives as well (probably just fat32). A limited set of drivers can be included in the system software that provides basic functionality to the devices. So I wouldn't be surprised if flash drive/usb hd compatibility is announced (as was speculated by Eidorian). Nor would I be surprised if Nintendo announced an official Hard Drive add-on.

9. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Well when i get my wii and a copy of The legend of zelda:Twilight princess, i dont want to have to start over every day i play it so i would need to get a memory card or hard drive, so i would be paying alot for that hard drive, hopefully the wii comes with a small SD card.

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Out of curiosity, I did a little research to see how many downloaded games I could fit on a SD card. Can anybody double-check my maths? (I assumed a Megabyte = 8192 kilobits. I often confuse bits and bytes.

I used a 4 GB SD card in my estimate because it's probably the size I'm going to end up purchasing. Or maybe I'll go for a less expensive 2 GB. We'll see. (Looks like there are 8 GB SD Cards out there but these are cleary out of my price range).

NES
    Smallest: 32 kb* (0.0039 MB†)
    Average: 128 kb (0.0156 MB)
    Biggest: 8 Mb‡ (1.0000 MB)

Average of 262,564 NES games on a 4 GB SD Card.
    (771 NES games were released in the US)

SNES
    Smallest: 2 Mb (0.25 MB)
    Average: 12 Mb (1.50 MB)
    Largest: 48 Mb (6.00 MB)

Average of 2,730 SNES games on a 4 GB SD Card.
    (721 SNES Games were released in the US)

Gameboy
    Smallest: 256 kb (0.03125 MB)
    Average: 2 Mb? (0.25 MB)
    Largest: 4 Mb (0.5 MB)

Average of 16,384 Gameboy games on a 4 GB SD Card.
    (Over 1000 Gameboy titles were released)

N64
    Smallest: 32 Mb (4 MB)
    Average: 128 Mb? (16 MB)
    Largest: 256 Mb (32 MB)

Average of 256 N64 games on a 4 GB SD Card.
    (Over 200 N64 titles were released)

My verdict: Unless I purchase and download tens of thousands dollars worth of games, I will never fill a 4GB SD cards. Chances are that the whole content available for purchase/download will fit on said 4 GB SD card. I didn't really know how much space those old games would take until I dug for this info. I'm pleasantly surprised.

*kilobit
    †Megabyte
    ‡Megabit

As for other Wii download content (Items, Maps, Minigames, etc…), who knows how much space that will take. Could be anything from a few kilobits to a few dozen megabytes. Indy games could also take considerably much more space.

Chances are, we'll be fine without a hard drive for quite a while.

11. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

so we just need to buy an SD card as a memory card...and i want to know if the card will be sticking out of the consel or when you stick the card in the wii can you close the little side thing hiding the card?????

12. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

A: Probably. There is also a possibility that we'll be able to save on the built in 512 MB internal flash memory but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edit: On second thought, I don't see why the internal memory couldn't be used to save games or to store downloaded games. That kid of slipped out of my mind. Sorry.

A: The SD Card won't be sticking out. It's hidden behind that little rectangle door on the front.

13. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

So im gonna have to buy a SD card, when i get my wii:(

But i hope Nintendo makes there own SD cards so i can buy one in a store when i get my wii, or maybe Nintendo will bundle a 800MB SD chip with the wii...What do you think????

14. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Looks like I misguided you. I don't think the SD card will be necessary:

The SD card will probably only be necessary if you download A LOT of games or content.

15. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I dont want to download a game!!!!!!! i just want to store game data from games that i buy like zelda and wii sports.....not the virtual consel, will the 512MB be able to store that kind of game data?????

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Most probably.

(I've bolded some text in my previous quote)

17. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

good thanks for the help... i really dont want to have to spend more money on a SD card when i get my wii because im still saving up enough money to get a wii and one game:(

what else do you know about the wii because you have been able to help me alot!!!!!!???:)

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Ugh. It's got 512 MB of flash memory, didn't you read above? That's enough for plenty of savegames, hundreds of NES and SNES games, or dozens of N64 games.

If you want more, you can buy SD cards up to 4 GB or USB hard drives.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The GameCube 251 block memory card is 16 MB. Do the math.

20. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

so it kind of has a built in hard drive..... right...and if 512MB stoes all those games whats the point is a ps3 being like 20GB or 60GB???

21. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

The last info I think we're all eagerly waiting for is:

A) The release date,
    B) The price, and
    C) What's in the bundle.

No precise answers from Nintendo to any of those questions.

In the meantime. You could read and keep an eye on the Wikipedia Wii article. It got all the announced details, plus it gets quickly updated (daily) as new info is made available.

Those games (NES, SNES, N64) are two generation old and used to take a lot less space than current generation Games. The PS3 and XBox 360 hard drives are big to allow download of heavy modern game demos (hundreds of megs), store music and videos. Both console try to enter the "Home entertainment center", something Nintendo is still staying away from.

22. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

hehehehehe...i have read the entire wikipedia wii article twice already:p

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The XBox 360 memory card is only 64 MB. Savegames don't take much space.

the 60 GB hard drive is for storing high definition video and gigabyte game demos and CD rips and stuff like that.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm really hoping that the Wii has portable save files/profiles. Just i plan on travelling between 4 different Wii's (mine, girlfriends, house in poland and spain) so just carrying a 4gb, or more, SD card with everything on will be excellent for me. though I had a number of HDD's lying about. Hide a little 30gb drive under the desk and that's all I'll probably need for it!

25. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I sort of remember hearing that the wiimote would have some RAM built into it and be able to store your user profile. Can't remember where. Was that speculation? Romors? Announcement? Probably FUD. :)