Will there be a Conroe iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sophia, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Sophia macrumors newbie

Sophia

I've wanted to update my iMac G4 for about 6 months now but have waited for the possible update of the iMac with the Conroe chip. I'm not especially enthusiastic about the idea of getting an iMac with the notebook/Merom chip since I intend to keep it for about 4 or 5 years. However, I would like to get a new iMac by January. What do you suppose would be the probability of such an update occurring by then?

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I don't think it will happen. The iMac's trend has been a thinner, sleeker profile. Conroe would be a step backwards.

While I don't doubt Merom's ability to last 5 years, if you really need it to last that long, maybe you should consider a Mac Pro.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

IMHO there is no chance of any iMac upgrades by January. The next major revision of the Merom CPU will be using the Santa Rosa chipset and that isn't scheduled to be released for a few months yet.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Next spring I believe, actually.

I wouldn't worry too much about the chip affecting whether or not your Mac lasts for 5 years or not. It totally depends what you plan on using it for. Some systems wouldn't last you 2 years, while depending on your needs it could last you 10 years! Well, that might be pushing it, but it's not too far from the truth. ;) My G4 iMac is almost 3 years old and it working as well as the day I got it, and is still running all the latest things I need it to. I don't plan on upgrading for another 1-2 years at least. But again, it all depends what you plan on using it for.

5. xtqqtxxx macrumors member

Isn't this what happened last year though? The iMacs were just updated and then they were again at MacWorld. But that was a different time.
    I doubt they'll do that again anyway.

well, i wouldn't expect an update like that necissarily. I was all for the idea of conroe in an imac but it would take away from the thin-ness and the chances of them making and inbetween the mac mini and mac pro for a headless desktop, not that great eitehr. The mermon would definately kick butt over that g4 you got, but it all depends what you are using it for. If i were you wanting it to last for a while do what i did, buy the base model mac pro with the 2 2ghz xeons. they are plenty that you will ever need for a number of years and with that much power all you need is to upgrade the ram later and you can add 3 more hdds and pci-express cards and can have two faster optical drives. and then get like a cheap 19 or 20" ws...:D

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Welcome to the fourth or fifth thread on this in the last month...

There will be NO Conroe iMac because the Conroe is a desktop chip. The current iMac was designed for the mobile Intel chips, for which there is no quad-core version on the roadmap, anywhere. I personally don't expect an iMac update until late spring/early next summer, and at that point it will probably just be an evolution of the dual core mobile platform.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, it'll probably just be Santa Rosa, followed by Penryn. :cool:

9. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

No

10. Sophia thread starter macrumors newbie

Sophia

Ah, yeah. I should have mentioned what I usually do on the computer, which isn't very much. Most of my computer time is used for emailing, instant messaging, and other general word-processing. There's some occasional video editing and gaming done by my younger brother, but he usually just watches videos.

I was advised by a friend to wait for the Core 2 Duo update due to some kind of 64-bit capability. However, I was thinking about how the iMacs were updated twice in only a few months time and got that "I must wait for the latest and greatest!" craze.

I don't think I'll need something as sophisticated as the Mac Pro, and I really like the current iMac design. So, since it seems a majority of people here don't think that Apple will be updating the iMac by January, I shall go ahead and order it. :)

Thank you!

I used the advanced search feature to avoid posting a repetitive thread, but I suppose I missed the ones you speak of; I apologize.

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Congrats! Post again when it arrives. We can't get enough Mac around here. :)

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Just so you know, the iMac does have a Core 2 Duo and thus 64-bit. It just isnt a Conroe, it is a Merom.

I didnt sound like you knew this based on this post.

13. Sophia thread starter macrumors newbie

Sophia

Oh, I did already know that both Merom and Conroe are Core 2 Duo chips. Perhaps I didn't articulate this well enough; I simply wanted to wait for Conroe based on past rumors that Apple would follow the Merom update, meant for notebooks, with Conroe, which are meant for desktops. Others here have dispelled that, though, so I'm no longer waiting for a Conroe update.

Thank you, all the same! :)