Will there be a G5 Imac update anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paco taco mike, Jan 5, 2005.

1. paco taco mike macrumors member

paco taco mike

will the iMac g5 be receiving a update soon? particularly in the GPU dept.? i am interested in purchasing one, but will they be updating it anytime soon?

:confused:
    -mike

2. mms macrumors 6502a

The PowerMac revisions must come before the iMacs are upgraded. Since I haven't heard much talk of new processors from IBM, I can't say for sure when this would be. The iMac's only been four months since its release so I wouldn't count on one soon, at least not within the next few months. And even if there is a revision, I wouldn't count on much of a GPU upgrade. It is a consumer computer, and Apple seems intent (at least based on its history) to keep it that way with a lower-level graphics card.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....as always, the Buyer's Guide page is always worth looking at when you want to see how long its been since an update and what the average timeframe between updates is.....oh yeah!

4. paco taco mike thread starter macrumors member

paco taco mike

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Curious. Why does the Xserver say "Don't Buy - Updates soon"? Wasn't it just updated on Tuesday? P.S. The guide does claim to have updated this info on Jan. 6th.

6. gooddog macrumors regular

I sure would love that !

Remember that when the 20" old Cinema's dropped in price, the G4 iMac was upgraded to a 20" screen ?

That iMac was in total , about the same price as the 20" display alone had been days before.

Today, the 23" display is the mid-sized one AND these have just been
    knocked down to about the price of a 20" G5 iMac.

My dream iMac would be 23", Satin-black for case AND stand AND same for the BT-keyboard/mouse, and a GPU worthy of Maya Unlimited.

BTW, think the headless iMac
    ( I call it the iChabod ) will look a lot like an iPod ???? yup !

This week I buy 2G's of APPL stock : first time buyer -
    wish me luck :)

---gooddog

/
    : * ] AaaaRrrrFFff !!!
    \