Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waitandwait

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Singapore
iPad Pro 9.7 released just in March and I doubt Apple will release an iPad Air 3 to cannibalise iPad Pro 9.7 sales. What do you think?

I hope to get a new 9.7 iPad or Mini

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Wait for leaks from China also Apple has learned that refreshing the iPad line too often hurts sales. It's not like a phone you can flaunt or a social filter. iPad tend to be more utilitarian. For example do I really need and iPad Pro in November 2016 even March 2017 ? Why ? So I can launch Netflix in 0.5 seconds instead of 0.7 seconds ?

What they should release is an Apple Pencil 2 with Wireless charging and Intrrnal light up LEDs which change color. Or different color options period.

an_explorer

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2016
I think Apple will miss a significant opportunity if it does not introduce one or more iPads including an updated/upgraded iPad Pro 12.9 this Fall. Why? 1) Phil Schiller and Tim Cook each have marketed the iPad Pro processing power as equivalent to X% of existing laptops and as a suitable replacement for existing Windows XP/7/8 laptop and desktop computers. Windows 10 adoption is far from universal and it is likely that new product iPad introductions and marketing will assist that market segment in considering the iPad as they make such upgrade and replacement decisions. In addition sustaining such claims in the face of ongoing Intel processor and Wintel system introductions invites if not demands equivalent advancements in iPad processing capability unless Apple wants to withdraw that aspect of its iPad marketing. 2) the iOS 10 upgrade officially deprecates the iPad 2 (20% of the approximately 300M plus iPads) and that group of owners likely are ready to replace their iPad 2s. I am an iPad 2 and a Windows 7 laptop owner and using the very dangerous sample size of one I want to purchase an iPad Pro 12.9 with processing, communication, and display parity with the iPad Pro 9.7 and the upcoming iPhone 7. Potential iPad and iPad Pro purchasers from these two market segments dwarf the number of existing 9.7 iPad Pro owners.

Jef88

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
The air will never be updated again, the air line will stay in the shops as a budget choice like the ipad 2 was till the air 2 was presented

Apple makes profit on their pencils and so it would be stupid to release a non pro ipad without the support of a stylus, and not only that it would also hurt the company because some people might buy a normal ipad with a pencil complaining the thing doesn't work. And an unsatisfied customer can do a lot of damage to your product.

With the mini the 9,7 and the 12,9 there is simply no need to have a 4th line of ipads in stores if there is no obvious difference in screen estate. It would confuse way to much. They can't afford having an confusing tablet line like the Android tablets

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Ipads are already not selling that well, why release a new one at all this year...just focus on making the "pro" name more realistic with iOS updates that can can change our experiences with these devices..no need for a new ipad and I don't see it happening...

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
9.7" Pro definitely not. It just came out not all that long ago.

12.9" Pro, maybe but doubtful (possible only to update to True Tone, the camera and "Always On Hey Siri".

7.9 Mini could get some "Pro" love and I see this as the most likely thing to happen if and only if there are iPad updates this fall at all.

Reactions: waitandwait

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
As already been mentioned, it'll probably update in November rather than September.

However, given the lack of hardware announcements at WWDC, it's hard to predict what Apple has in store. They could do some kind of mega hardware launch event, unveiling new
  • iPhone,
  • MacBook Pro,
  • Apple Watch,
  • Thunderbolt Display,
  • Mac Pro,
  • Mac Mini
And in the background, some short refresher announcement (like they did with the iPad mini 4) that brings the iPad Pro 9.7" and 12.9" on par in terms of display, back camera, USB-3/fast charging and color scheme.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
12.9" Pro, maybe but doubtful (possible only to update to True Tone, the camera and "Always On Hey Siri".

And to be honest, I am not sure those features would be compelling for the 12.9" market to get them to replace a one-year old model, which I see more as true "professional" (as in business and industry) rather than "prosumer" like the 9.7" model.

Mind you, I would certainly be happy with those features in the 12.9 and I do believe the next refresh will get them, but I don't see it as something Apple needs to push out at the One Year Anniversary mark.

If I had to guess (and I am), I would say both models will get a refresh/update in Spring 2017 (so the One Year Anniversary of the 9.7).

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
As already been mentioned, it'll probably update in November rather than September.

However, given the lack of hardware announcements at WWDC, it's hard to predict what Apple has in store. They could do some kind of mega hardware launch event, unveiling new
  • iPhone,
  • MacBook Pro,
  • Apple Watch,
  • Thunderbolt Display,
  • Mac Pro,
  • Mac Mini
And in the background, some short refresher announcement (like they did with the iPad mini 4) that brings the iPad Pro 9.7" and 12.9" on par in terms of display, back camera, USB-3/fast charging and color scheme.
I doubt mega hardware within 2 hrs of keynote. Probably iPhone with iOS and macOS on sept. And iPad and Apple Watch on November.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
The 12.9" may be updated, but it's also possible they will wait until 2017 and announce it along with an updated 9.7".

It didn't go well when the "new iPad" (3rd gen) was replaced by the iPad 4, 6 months after release. So, a new 9.7" this year is doubtful.

iPad mini has fallen behind and is now the only non-Pro iPad. I expect a fairly significant update to the mini is potential for the fall; possibly bringing some of the Pro features to the smaller tablet.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
iPad mini has fallen behind and is now the only non-Pro iPad. I expect a fairly significant update to the mini is potential for the fall; possibly bringing some of the Pro features to the smaller tablet.

Other than Pencil support, what exactly are "Pro" features?

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I would be really surprised if they release a MiniPro. I think it's more likely that they keep the Mini and Air 2 as non pro iPads at least until next year, and just have the Pro in the 2 larger sizes.

I'd also be surprised if they released a new 9.7" Pro this year. A new 12.9" is more likely, but who knows. I'm just secretly hoping that they extend safari's new split view capabilities to other apps by the time iOS 10 is released to make the 12.9 screen more useful.

All this is pure speculation of course. I have been surprised by Apple plenty of times.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
doubt it. they didn't even bother to introduce any special iPad features to make the device stand out with iOS 10

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Both iPad Pro models will be updated together in March 2017 or maybe even later if Apple if officially shifting the refresh cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.