Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Hi everyone. Ive been reading the forums and everyone seems to be talking about the new Powerbooks and how it will be a small upgrade. I am going to be entering college september of 2006, and I was wondering, that long term, if anyone knows any of the changes. Will the intel processors be out by then? What can I expect to be out in a little under 12 months?

Also, this will be my first mac. I have a dell 600m laptop which i like, but I really want to try mac out, I hope it works out to my satisfaction.

Thanks

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Badandy said:
Why would the ibooks be out and not the pbs?

I am guessing availability of Yonah (32-bit) vs Merom (64-bit). Yonah is targeted to ship in Q1 '06 whereas Merom Q3 '06. Some are speculating Apple to choose Merom for PowerBook and Yonah for iBook. However, Yonah should be plenty powerful for PowerBook and I am guessing single-core derivative of Yonah (aka, Yonah Celeron) will be chosen for iBook instead. But who knows what will happen?

BTW, both Yonah and Merom are next generation Pentium M processor with dual core CPU, shared 2MB L2 cache, brand new floating point design (one of Pentium's main culprits vs G4/G5), SSE3 support, and Vanderpool virtualization technology. They will be manufactured using Intel's new 65-nm process with improved energy saving features and designs. In addition to Merom being 64-bit, I believe it will have even more advanced energy saving designs than Yonah.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I'd have to agree that the iBook's will be out first... I guess that's the general opinion of most people since the processors they have available at the time they're saying they'll release the books would be the ones designed for the consumer line-up as opposed to the pro line-up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.