Will there be a oui or a non?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, May 26, 2005.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This coming week, the French will be voting yes or no for the ratification of the EU Constitution. The Constitution itself has become a bestseller in France as voters try to decipher an amazing mix of political jubilation and potential economic threats to the very existence of the French way of life.

Will the Constitution, if approved, just create another capitalist/consumerist society like the US with little regard for human dignity and regional European characteristics?

Or, will the Constitution if not approved, spell the beginning of the end of the EU and the Euro.

Or, IMO, will the No vote of the French lead to years more of wrangling amongst the politicians while structural economic and social reforms fall to the wayside?

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

while it will slow the proccess i somehow doubt it that it will change the outcome in the end
    after all a lot of countries already ratificated the european constitution already ... in austria it was kinda quick ad 'painless' thrown through the instances because all parties somehow was for it (a least 3 outta 4)

i think many french will simply vote "non" because they are not happy with chirac at the time

journalists will be screaming "it's the end of the world" but as said before it won't bring the EU to it's knees because the EU is a lot more than UK,France, Germany ,Italy and Spain

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Even before the constitution has been ratified, the EU as a body has a presence here. If it is a strong enough union, it's going to be hugely influential.

4. mpw Guest

I have no idea of the political feeling in France but I really hope it's a Non vote.
    The idea of the EU becoming any more centralized worries me. Call me old fashioned by I like the idea of seeing a Scot in a kilt, an Austrian in leather shorts (ladenhusen?) and an Italian leering at my wife with his shirt unbuttoned to his navel.
    The Italians should be making 500bhp supercars and tiny 30bhp hatch-backs while the Brit’s craft drawing rooms with wheels.
    I know it’s never going to be ideal but I’d like to keep some culture alive in Europe.
    At the moment some countries (I’m looking at you France) pick and choose which European laws they’re going to enforce anyway, which makes a mockery of an open common market.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I wonder how the US media will take a "no" vote? Will it be a blip on the radar? After all, who knows or cares what those unhelpful Europeans are doing?

Or instead, will it be touted as an example of how such federations can't work and each country should keep it's own soveriegnity (with the US being conveniently the most soveriegn, of course).

Anything that strengthens the EU weakens the US in our administration's eyes. And as we all know, questioning the size of a Bush's penis is a dangerous game.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

has anyone actually read the thing, if not it's here http://www.unizar.es/euroconstitucion/library/constitution_29.10.04/part_II_EN.pdf

i cant see how you could oppose it.

just because the EU gets a constitution dose not make firrari and fiat go bank rupt nor stop the small percentage of scots who actually wear kilts or even stop italian people leering at your wife, it's a constitution not a "united states of europe". which by the way i'd go for screw the whole whats left to make us odd argument, together the EU economically destroys the US, and i'd rather have the worlds biggest super power over here than over there.

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the austrian government sent out copies of the constitution to every home where they even explained which part is say what (describing the complex language) and why it is important for austria and europe etc.

but i have to confess i have only looked through it pretty fast ;)

(side note i actually had a lederhose as a kid but i didn't like it much.. they are not very popular atl east you don't see the mas much often as you see italians with unbuttoned shirts ;) )

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

A French "non" will have a huge impact on the future of the EU. I think it will force a "two-track" development that will exacerbate the divisions between the EU nations. France, Germany, the Benelux nations, Spain, and Italy will go their own way with the EU framework becoming less important. It will be just the outcome the Bush administration wants - a weaker, divided Europe. I hope the French voting public can see beyond their rather wise distrust of Chirac and vote "oui."

If the Constitution wins in France, it's not the end of close calls. Netherlands votes the next week and polls there show the "no" vote winning. I'm not optimistic.

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

:p

I doubt that Europe is going to lose the identities of individual nation states due to coming together. The US has been a nation for longer than it has not and individual states continue to develop their own characteristics. Even the accents very substantially from state to state, and sometimes within the state.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

They should take after the US and only require that the constitution be ratified by 9/13ths of the membership!

OK. No that wouldn't work.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Shouldn't that be "we should take after the US"?
    ;)

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And then there's Britain...
    As in France and elsewhere, very few here have actually bothered to read the Constitution, and even fewer understand it. Qualified Majority Voting will have a HUGE impact on individual national interests.

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

But you chaps aren't scheduled to vote until mid-2006; there are a lot of hurdles to overcome before the UK decides. I always thought the Danes would be a problem, but they look to be a better chance than the French and the Dutch right now.

Are the voting mechanisms your problem with the proposed Constitution, skunk? Or do you feel the UK is best served by resisting further integration into Europe?