Will there be a "Super" Mac at WWDC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JRM PowerPod, May 2, 2005.

1. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

I'm not saying there will be, but who out there reckons Stevie will unveil one more model to add to the PM lineup to get rid of the the Single 1.8GHZ. Is Steve really going to risk facing up to a crowd without something he promised he would have a year ago (3GHZ).

Why it should happen:

- Single 1.8 left lingering for no real reason
    - Newer chips must be somewhere as this means IBM hasn't been working on a new series of chips after 2 years
    - Steve might get bashed

Why it won't happen:
    - Would they update the line a month after updating (Unless whole new line)
    - If they did it would seriously piss off the Dual 2.7 owners

I'm not saying I would really need one of these machines but it would definitely make an impressive flagship model. This is the case as the 2.7 is a great machine by looks and by the assumed speed it would have but a Dual Dual Core 3.0GHZ would display the POWER of Apple and its hardware

If it were to happen this would be my suspected specs

Dual Dual Core 3GHZ
    1024mb DDR 2 533mhz
    400GB Hard Drive
    nVidia 6800 Ultra
    Dual Layer Drive > Possibly Blu-Ray

$3999

Will it happen

:D

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm hoping for an 80gb iPod... not likely, but possible.

*clutches straws*

3. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

If I recall he retracted the 3GHz promise at the last WWDC - just said something like "We'll keep trying."

I doubt there will be something, but if there is it will be in extremely limited supply (based on availability of the CPUs).

4. link92 macrumors 6502

Nah... Doesn't get my vote, although maybe at Apple Expo, shipping near Christmas. But the blueray isn't likely, but we never know...

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

I don't think we will see Blue-Ray as of now, as it would be pretty pointless since no other computer can read blue-ray disc. The price seems to be pretty steep. Looking at the powermac line up, I don't think its possible they will release a new one soon.

6. link92 macrumors 6502

Nope, he said we will have 3GHz by next year.

7. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

I also remember a low-key retraction of that statement.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I remember hearing him say that "We will get there one of these days". Or something to that effect. If the G6 is based on the Power4 processor then the Mhz may actually be lower than today but the speed will be faster.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Whether or not there's a dual 3.0 at WWDC, I don't think he'll discontinue the bottom of the line PPC. There's definitely demand for a low-end, upgradable tower model, so I think that one's going to stay.

P.S. I'm sure everyone else has already discovered this, but I just figured out the formatting commands for vbulletin: ctrl-i gives italic, ctrl-b is bold, and ctrl-u is underline. Not to mention ctrl-p for preview, and ctrl-s for submit! Pretty cool. Pressing ctrl-s now!

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Microsoft says Apple is switching to Intel from IBM. No, I don't believe a word of it either.

11. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I was wondering......the Blue-Ray drives that the have made...do they use IDE or SATA cabels :confused:

12. Bear macrumors G3

Where's mine?

Seriously, a blu-ray drive will not be happening since it looks like the two camps are going to work out a single spec for HiDef optical discs. Which is a good thing, we don't need a format war.

As for the other specs, they all seem possible - the Video could be a high end ATI as well. Memory is a possibility.

Another nice surprise would be an extra hard drive bay.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It would have to be something other than a PowerMac - more like an XStation or something like that. But I don't think we'll see it, the PowerMacs are the pro line and having two Pro lines for the desktop might be too much diversity.

D

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Steve will not even mention the Powermac. Period.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, he might not mention new ones :D But I think this is much more likely. And we won't see new PowerMacs until 2006.

D

16. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I hope that they do come out with something, because I am thinking about waiting for WWDC before I buy my Powermac.

17. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

But then we need what a new PM to see video clips in full resolution :eek:

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Well, I understand what you are saying, but th real question is, what is the real bomb dropper this year? Last year it was the 30-inch LCD, right? We had mumblings about that months ahead of time.

19. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

The single 1.8 powermac is a headless iMac, I doubt they'll remove it... seeing as that added it AFTER the fact a few months ago. It's there for a reason...

I'd love to see a super mac, but I'm not so sure it'll happen. I'd give it less than a 20% chance... and I'm a hell of an optimist.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's a very good question, for which I have no answer and haven't seen or heard anything yet that could possibly fit the bill.

Anything at this point is all speculation

D

21. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

reason for the single 1.8 still being there... well some people don't need a 2x2Ghz and have enough with a single G5, yes buy iMac I hear you say...

ok but they like to build 2SATA harddrives in there, more than 2GB ram, they might need gigabit ethernet, fw800, bigger graphicscard, dual monitor... bigger monitor than 20"...

so then you can buy the single 1.8 and do those things.

the iMac can't do it, and the dual processors might just be
    a: to expensive...
    b: quite useless since no need for that speed...
    in their eyes...

just remember not everybody needs the fastest computer out there, but might want expansion & other options an iMac can't deliver...

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

$3999 ? for a dual dual 3ghz? including blue ray? how about $5999 with a 9600 and 512 ram?

it's not gonna happen for that price. for a higher price without the blueray there is a chance.

my 2 cents,

andi

P.S.: steve never gets bashed

23. Tilmitt macrumors member

Maybe Dual 3.0Ghz GX's and dual dualcore 2.3Ghz??? Although me has an inkling that the GX will be used at much lower frequencies in the Powerbooks as it is apparently low power and the extra cache (1MB instead of 512KB) will help offset the lower frequency and just be nice!! So yes scrap that dual 3.0Ghz GX PowerMac...

EDIT: and there's NO WAY that there'll be dual 3.0Ghz MP's, even by Apple wet dream standards that's ridiculously unrealistic!!

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Most likely dual-core dual 2.0Ghz G5s in a new, taller aluminum enclosure that can support 2 optical drives and 4 internal SATA drives.

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think, instead of real PM updates (which'd only be a month and a half after the latest upgrades), we'll finally see a new PowerBook (not likely a G5) which will support QT HD. 1920x1200 screen, better GPU, possibly dual-core.

I don't see Apple not having a top-of-the-line laptop which supports the latest and greatest QuickTime features, esp. in our "year of HD". The new PB will be announced at WWDC. It might not be available immediately, but it will be announced.