will there be a umd burner for the computer

Discussion in 'Games' started by Anarchy99, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

the psp uses umd discs (more proprietary sony crap) they want the psp to introduce it to the world and make it popular for movies and music for other devices eventually
    well the psp has potential for emulators and other homebrew and piracy if you want that
    but if they dont release a burner then they loose that potential
    i think they wont because of piracy but i think they might because it will boost sales to because look at myself for example i bought a xbox for over 350cad a while back just cause i could mod it for emus music movies a server ect so for a device 250usd and then buy a proprietary computer reader/writer thats a hefty chunk of change already
    not to mention people will buy games even if some pirate them
    what do you think?

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

A UMD burner would be nice, especialy for putting PSP movies on!

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I highly doubt it. It opens it up to piracy.

That's the reason they're using UMD's instead of standard DVD's.

You don't need UMD disks to mod something, you can always load data via the memory stick or WiFi. At least on the DS you can do WiFi because it supports download play.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Or music, or photos... don't forget, while the PSP can play standard music formats and display pictures without any problems, movies would require re-encoding, as UMD only holds 1.8 GB per disc and DVD is either 4.7 GB (DVD-9 single layer) or 8.5 GB (DVD-18 dual layer). I can certainly see using a blank UMD disc to store music... much cheaper than buying 2 GB memory cards.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Actually, the #1 reason is that if it used DVDs, you couldn't easily put the PSP in your pocket.

6. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

the 4 gig mem stick dou shown at ces is 900usd other sizes are insignificant for being useful sure 512mb for future emu's music movies and pictures is possible just not practical

i know 5 of my friends and my self were thinking of buying psp's 1st day of release but because of umd 2 are still deciding including myself 1 has a preordered one from ebgames so we can see it in action hopefully it can redeem itself
    and two bought nintendo ds's because this home made thing called passme can run homebrew and other code and there are semi working emu's

piracy hurts things but also helps in some cases
    how better to intrduse a new format then have 10,000 piraters distrubuting movies and other things to thousands of more people

i say open it up totally then make new atipiracy stuff after it has a nitch in the market

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I meant Mini DVD's. You can burn minature DVD's in a regular (non slot load) burner, correct?

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Read the post, I was talking about modding it.
    Since the PSP has 32 MB of RAM, 512 MB is plenty for emulators and stuff. You can't use more than 32 MB at once.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

MiniDiscs all over again if the UMD burner was to exist.