Will there be another Power Mac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by corbin_a2, Feb 2, 2006.

1. corbin_a2 macrumors regular

Do you guys think that we will see one last Power Mac G5 upgrade before we go to intel? Possiblly the elusive 3GHz?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Absolutely not...Intel across the board in all next revisions.

And corbin, can you please shrink your signature? The max is 6 lines, and yours is 15...please don't make us scroll any more than we have to.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I can't believe people are still in such denial.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'll say perhaps.

I understand why the people above say no with such conviction and deep down I agree with them. But the Mac Pro will probably be waiting for Conroe. That's quite a bit off. We might see on last minor, barely publicised bump to keep the Photoshop monkeys running till '07...

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'd say possibly.

Initially I didn't think we would be seeing the Intel PowerMac until MWSF 2007, due to the Intel timeline surrounding Conroe/Woodcrest. Now that they appear to be ~6 months ahead (appear to be for now that is ;)) I have faith that Jobs's promise of "all machines being Intel by the end of 2006" will hold.
    Ah, but does that include the eMac?
    Still though, I do not realistically see an Intel PowerMac until late in the fall, so the question would be, will Apple go an entire year without touching its Power machine? I say doubtful. Sure, they're not going to release something mind-blowing and have another major update to the line - after all, the PPC is the past, Intel is the future - no need to shine the spotlight on PPC. That being said, they will probably need to refresh the line in some manner, so I would say look for a slight speed bump to the bottom 2 machines and/or a price drop across the line, along with refreshed video cards, etc. But nothing more. After all, Pro users want the latest and greatest, and are not going to shell out a ton of money for a machine they know is going to get replaced by new Intel technology only 6 months later. Then of course there is the whole compatibility issue for Pro apps.

And the reason I say they won't touch the quad is, well, it's pretty frickin' powerful. To make themselves look good, Apple will need to release an Intel PowerMac which can compete with that, so they wouldn't want to make it even faster. ;) I have every confidence that the Conroe and Woodcrest chipsets will be up to the task. :cool:

Speaking of the quad though, perhaps that will indeed by Apple's swan song for the G5 PowerMac - send the line out with a bang. Who knows. All I know is I think Apple needs to do something to the line before October/November rolls around when the Intel PowerMacs will finally be out. And if that's only a price drop, so be it.

Then again I could be wrong - it has actually hapened in the past, believe it or not. :cool:

6. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I'm praying to dear god, that the next Power Mac revision will be in the spring, and it will be Intel. Is there ANY chance of this?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd say no. If Apple want to release an Intel PowerMac in the next 2-3 months they have to either: use Yonah (like the iMac). This will limit them to a single dual-core (they will not run in dual dual mode like the current top of range PowerMac) and 32-bit (not so important to me, but still not great).

Or go Pentium-D or Xeon (Xeon for dual/dual operation). These are much much hotter than the current G5, expensive and not really all that fast. Not a good move.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

No

No. The reason is to show a huge jump in performance with the Intel based Mac Pro vs the current Powermac G5. The Powermac G5 typically only gets updated once a year anyways.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No. None whatsoever. Merom will not even be availble by spring, let alone Conroe or Woodcrest. Intel's timelines are ~6 months ahead of schedule as it is, what more do you want? :p ;) :cool:

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think that there will be one more update.

Considering the news from Adobe and the general state of applications that would probably be running on PowerMacs, I think they'll wait longer. It's not as if the quad machine is exactly slow anyway but I think they'll have another speedbump--maybe to--ummm, no, I'm not going to say it. :D

Considering their history, they've kept a Mac OS 9-bootable machine available longer than expected and a dual processor machine available, even after the dual core machines arrived, they'll have something PowerPC still available for a while, even after the PowerMacs go Intel.

11. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

So... I should be expecting a 64bit Quad Intel Mac Pro in the fall?

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm with bousozoku and ~Shard~ on this one – I doubt we'll see anything too radical, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a speed-bump before the range moves to Intel.

I wouldn't go holding your breath for a 3GHz G5 Power Mac, though.

13. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I just wanna be sure that the Intel Tower is gonna be worth the wait. I could get a maxed out 20" iMac right now, it's just not ideal for gaming, and that's why i'm waiting for the Intel tower, but it's such a long wait, and i'm beginning to wonder whether it's THAT much better.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Late fall, yes, possibly. ;) All depends on how impressive Conroe is... I'm thinking Woodcrest will be reserved for the Xserve for now, but who knows, maybe Apple will surprise us - it's been known to happen in the past. ;) :cool:

The Merom will kick the snot out of the Yonah (64-bit versus 32-bit for starters) so Conroe/Woodcrest definitely will be superior to Yonah. :cool: Your call though, it sounds like it may be more of an issue of timing than anything. You could always wait until fall and pick up a revised iMac at that point too - they'll probably have Merom in them at that point themselves. :cool:

15. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I'll wait for the tower. Quake 4 and CoD 2 aren't going anywhere.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why do people keep assuming that 64bit is like some sort of magic bullet. All that 64bit is going to bring to the Mac party is more memory. If you do not want more that 4Gb of RAM 64bit give you nothing.

If you are thinking of the extra general purpose registers that you get in x64 mode you are out of luck. The OS needs to be running in 64bit mode. Tiger does not do that.

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Ha.. everyone say no? (EDIT.. not eveyone... but enough)

Wouldn't surprise me if the G5 got just one more speedbump (say 200 MHz across the board) before WWDC where/when I expect the announcement of the first Intel Power Mac.

But no way the 3 GHz will be reached!! :D

Better not be a yonah then though... :rolleyes: Nah.. ofcourse not. No mobilezzzz in a Mac "Pro" (Mac Super.. Mac Top..)

18. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I thought the Quad G5 has 128 bit processors............?

19. FireArse macrumors 6502a

yes.

I actually think they'll release a 3GHz Quad. The promise for 3GHz was on the 130nm structure for the first batch of G5's. i.e we went to another (was it 'fx' at 90nm?)

I think the dual cores could go faster. We already know that per cycle the G5's are quicker than the Core Duo. i.e The G5 2years ago was infact pretty F*cking fast - even by todays standards. I think the best way to compare the Core Duo is against a dual core G5 in a PM - not the iMac G5 comparison's ppl are making.

Any way, enough off topic, 3GHz Quad (will it be the 30th anniversary?!) mac is on its way. Boy would that chomp through H.264 encoding!

F

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, in the widest (no pun intended) interpretation of PowerPC processors with AltiVec, they do, but only because of AltiVec. It can process 128 bits of data at a time.

The rest of the processor has to process 32-bits or 64-bits at a time, depending on the machine instruction and the machine context. It can process less to deal with single bits, nybbles (4 bits), bytes (8 bits), and words/double bytes (16-bits) too.

21. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

The only way that the G5 Quad will get a speed bump is if IBM releases the processor at a higher speed. So far they only admit to it running at 2.5 Ghz. If it does then I reckon it will be at 2.7 Ghz as we have seen before.

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8