Will there ever be a 12" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Badandy, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Badandy macrumors 68040

Sep 29, 2005
    I know there have been threads on this before, but those are from a while ago and I am very perplexed on why there isn't one. I don't understand what would be so hard in making a 12" MBP. Maybe a nice 2.16 C2D, 100 gig HD standard, 128 mb graphics, and some other good stuff...

I really think there is a market for this. As everyone knows, silver looks very, very classy. If I'm walking into a meeting, I'm not going to pull out a White MB, sorry, not going to happen. The black MB, better, but still not professional enough. I think that silver metal looks by far the best, and the needs of people who want something small but still professional and powerful should be met.

I guess I'm just ranting. C'mon Apple!

P.S. I have a 12" PB (last revision) that I love, but I want to make the switch to Intel, but the 13 inch widescreen MB's are just too large (in addition to the other reasons stated above. Just make a normal aspect ration 12 inch MBP, PLEASE.
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I don't think that there is a serious possibility for a return to that size until after Leopard (and its resolution independence feature in particular) is out there. 1024x768 was getting too cramped for some apps, and the current UI doesn't work out so well if the pixels simply shrink.
  3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    i dont think there will be apple has already stated that the upper end macbook is the 12" PB replacment, sorry.
  4. budugu macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Predict 13" macbook pro alu.

I guess apple *might* have a new alu-(possibly a carbon fiber) 13" Widescreen laptop in the next 6 -12 months or so. Apple traditionally tries to stick to their standard design methods. It does not have the Sony's flare for new product designs ever so often. What i am expecting is that as the prices slide over the next year or so. THere will be nice gap between the black macbook and 15" macbook pro. Where in they could introduce a 13" w alu macbook pro. Probably with nvidia GO 7200/7400 Ati x1300 range GPU. I am pretty sure there will be photoshop enthusiasts who will be screeming for a portable "pro - ie dedicated graphics machine".But for that they absolutely need to fix the current line. The current upgrade to the macbookpro makes me believe that they are going to stick to alu for little more while (the whole no hole for the light thing etc). So i guess you will have a 13" macbook pro. in alu in less than an year.

PS: Spoken like an analyst :D ... Gartner/IDC where is my job?:rolleyes:
  5. whawhat macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2006
    doubt we will ever see a 12" macbook pro unfortunately. i do hope apple comes out w/ a ultra portable model smaller than the 12" powerbook/13" form factor. that would be sweeet :D
  6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Yes they are going to be releasing another pro 12inch. I would give u my source but im being lazy. Google it.. ;)
  7. operator macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2006
    I also would like to see a small pro model. I find it hard to believe that Apple will continue alienate all those who need real portability and pro features. MacBooks are brilliant for general consumers, but they don't cut it as a 12"PB replacement.
  8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    i was just thinking about this same thing at work. a friend of mine, a designer i work with, just got a new IBM tablet notebook. i wish that if Apple decided to give the 12" another go, it would be a tablet notebook.

i mean for those that have played with one, they can be very helpful, at least for those on the go designers; or for anyone else for that matter.

just my 2 cents.