Will these monitors actually display Hi-Def (XBOX 360)?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stagecustom, Oct 9, 2006.

1. stagecustom macrumors regular

hello, i finally got my refund for my **** Hanns G. monitor, they didn't refund my return shipping saying that it wasn't defective, last time i deal with tigerdirect. So It has come down to this, either the Viewsonic or Samsung 19" widescreen. The thing is the viewsonic i am looking at is basically gone because there bringing in a newer one, which doesn't say it is HD compatible. It is 50$ more for the newer model. Here are the three i am looking at.

Samsung
    Cheaper Viewsonic
    Newer Viewsonic

So, is the second one not HD compatible? Also will these actually display HD with my xbox 360 through the VGA adapter? also which is the best monitor, i guess i could fork out the extra 50$ for the higher priced one. The canada computers near me said they ordered the cheaper viewsonic three weeks ago and i keep getting mixed answers about it not being available or that they didn't order it etc. PLEASE help me out.
    Thanks alot, you guys are awesome.

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Well HD is not a defined term, it just means lager than SD.

1080p, the largest 'standard' HD format is 1920 x 1080 pixels.

All of the monitors you listed have 1440 x 900 pixels, so they can't display 1080p, but they can show 720p (also a HD standard) which is 1280 x 720 pixels.

Your xbox does both 720p and 1080p, so your xbox can do more than the monitor can display.

The Samsung is just a little bit brighter than the new Viewsonic, but other than that the new Viewsonic has the best specs (faster and better contrast). If I were you I'd get the new Viewsonic.

3. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

so it won't actually be in HD? or am i missing the point. Cause won't it say 720p or will it just say the resolution when i go to display setup on the xbox 360? Like some games look noticably better when in HD, will i notice a difference from my 20" sony tube tv? or my 15" samsung LCD i had before this?

Thanks alot!

4. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

All of those monitors will do 720p a true HD resolution.

5. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

understood. :)

6. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

If you hook up your 360 with the VGA cable, the resolution of the monitor (1440 x 900) will show up in the 360 setup. It will look WAY better than your TV, and should look better than your 15" LCD...

7. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Yes 720p is a true HD resolution, but in order to use the EICTA HD-Ready logo the device has to support both 720p and 1080i at 50 and 60Hz: this is why those monitors don't call themselves HD.

Apples 20' Cinema Display isn't called HD either at 1680 x 1050.

But like purlithium said its gonna look a lot better than before.

8. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

they do say HDTV and HD video capable. One question, how much worse will it look opposed to hooking the xbox up via composite (HD) cables to a hd tv?

that is what i wanted to know before. Thanks again.

9. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Component is a sort of cop out for transferring HD signals, a better way would be to have an HDMI cable. From my own experience, even Analog VGA looks better than component.

10. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

GREAT. Thanks again.

11. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

Sp people are saying go with the more expensive viewsonic over the samsung i guess?

12. johantheolive macrumors newbie

Ok, I decided I had to post as people are providing wrong information.

First off, the 360 supports 720p and 1080i - not 1080p as of yet. When you connect a monitor via VGA, you have a handful of resolutions to choose from. They are preset, not monitor dependent. The 360 will not output a straight 1440x900 image. What you can do is flip through the options and find which looks best to you. Anything above 1280x720 is HD (720=720p). Now, the problem is that computer monitors are 16:10 aspect ratio, whereas the 360 outputs 16:9. As a result, the image will look a little stretched. I'm picky about these things and don't notice except in DVDs (where it's only slightly noticeable). I was considering the same Viewsonic monitor but decided to step up to the VX2025WM. Whatever you choose to buy, you'll want to play with the resolutions to find what looks best to you.

With regards to the VA1912WB. The reason I decided against it was that I was in a store and saw it on display. To me it felt cheaply made and it was a little, might I say, ugly. Also, this monitor's native resolution is not very common amongst computer programs although this is changing (HL2 now supports it and WOW might as well). In the end, go with what you can afford.

13. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

All the monitors you have listed have the exact same, or close to the same specifications. It's up to you.

14. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

Does the 1600:1 contrast ratio on the LG one make a huge difference between the other three, as in will the contrast ratio be a visible difference, or should i go with any of the ones with 500:1 i assume the higher the number the better, but i could be wrong.

Thanks, i am thinking ill go with the samsung one if not.

15. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Of course it makes a difference.

Can't you go to a store where they sell these monitors to look at them?

16. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

yes, and i will. i am just wondering if its better then the samsung? all around.

17. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, what is better for using the monitor with my xbox 360 and mac mini?
    higher contrast but lower response or higher response but lower contrast. here are the specs:

LG: Black 19" Wide LCD 8ms 2000:1 CR, 300CD/m2, DVI F-ENGINE Monitor
    samsung: SyncMaster Black 19" Widescreen LCD 1440x900 4MS 500:1 VGA DVI-D HDCP w/DVI Cable
    Viewsonic: 19" Flat panel display 1440 x 900 300 cd/m2 500:1 5 ms DVI, VGA (HD-15) w/Speaker, DVI Cable

They are all between 240-260. CAD. which is the max i am spending, i don't think i will be able to get the 199 version of the viewsonic with the slower response, so these are the three i am interested in, WHICH is better for xbox 360 and my mac mini? I would like to be able to play madden without 4 shadows on my guys, or hit man without words beings shadowed 3-4 times behind the original sentence on my screen. REALLY bad ghosting etc.
    Thanks again.:)

18. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

OKAY, whats better for 360, lower contrast ratio (about half the amount of the LG) or, faster response time by 3ms? either 1600:1 and 8ms or 600:1 and 5ms? need to know, i am buying today.

19. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

I doubt you would notice a huge difference, but...

Higher Contrast ratio = better image quality and more differentiation between colours. Go with this if image quality is a big issue for you.

Higher response times = more "ghosting" which is the time that it takes the pixels to switch to the new frames/images that are being sent to the monitor. This is important if you play lots of high-paced first person shooter games. Although you probably won't notice any difference unless you are an extreme power gamer.

I personally would go with the monitor with the higher contrast ratio(LG) because I'm just a recreational gamer and I would want the games to look the best while i'm playing them rather than an intensely fast response time that my eyes would hardly notice anyway.

20. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man, i went with the LG, it has a 5ms response time (just said 8 on the website) 2000:1 contrast ratio. Got it for 229 on sale plus i bought a dvi cable cause it wasn't included. yet to set it up. but i will and tell you guys how it goes. BTW: i found you saying extreme power gamer to be HILARIOUS> i hardly play at all, by all means am not a gamer or a nerd, only use computer for practical things some video and PS, but not much. anyway,

Thanks

21. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, i am very frustrated. I just set it up, IT has the same problem that my other hanns G. had. What should i do. My thoughts are that i should physically go back to the store, bring my xbox 360 and this monitor and test everyone in this price range, it doesn't say anything about them doing this with the 360's in the reviews. Am i just too picky or what? cause this looks annoying and it also gets the image burned into it when i have the typical apple screen saver on (the swirls of colour) like when the spot changes you see sort of a grey outline of where the spikes were before. :mad: so what should i do?

here is an example of what it does for the record.

Attached Files:

22. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

this is another great example. The hockey player HAS 2 shadows. is madden it had the same thing, i don't remember that when i play it on my SD tv.

Attached Files:

23. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Sounds like you have a problem with your 360... or you're really unlucky with monitors/tvs

24. generik macrumors 601

generik