Will these speakers work on a Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BKKloppenborg, May 17, 2005.

1. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

Hey guys i did search but didn't find anything about these speakers anyone know if these will work?

here

If not Harman Kardon SoundSticks II work? Any other good Sound suggestings the only reason i wanted the ones above is so i can carry them with me and the Soundssticks might be a probelm.. :D

Any suggestings? I might buy a pair of speakers for Home (Probaly soundsticks heard their nice)

Then a pair that has good sound and for carrying with me...

2. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

No, they do not use a standard mini jack. There is an adapter but I can't think of it now...

Found it, Griffen firewire adapter link for $39.99 :eek:

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yup exactly as said above - no they wont work without the thing from griffin technology.

i would go for either the sound sticks or the jbl creatures - both are made by haarmon kardon and sound really good!

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

any speakers with a mini-jack will work. These (named "pro" speakers) have an extra ring around the mini jack that supplies a voltage to the speaker coils (thereby allowing much bigger sound). As far as I'm aware they only every worked (straight off) with the iMac G4 range (I have a pair - they do sound amazingly good for their size). You will need speakers that have an external power supply. Like the soundsticks or the creatures.

You may want to invest in a proper AMP/Stereo Speakers combination or a pair of decent "monitor" speakers (speakers with an amp built in) if you want things to go LOUD!

5. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys, damn so i would be paying 39.99+shipping+20 dollers for speakers for portable for those... Does USB speakers work or no?

I also have a sound system at home that sounds great and is cheaper then both of them... So mabye when i get Mac i will find out if it will work i am sure those will... Their 50 bux, or one just sold on ebay for 30 dollers

1 sub
    2. 2 speakers...

Would use it for Mac but my Xbox needs the good sound because tv sounds horrbile without them... To hard to move all the time to...

any other suggestings for portable speakers that i don't have to buy a adapter for and sound good?

EDIT: sound that adapter on ebay but still expensive..here

this is the cheapest i found wow cheapest

6. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

I Use these speakers for my Xbox now and they are REALLY good it drives my parents nuts!!! :D I love crankin them up when their not at home.. here

will these work for Powerbook? (hopefully) these would be the ones i use at home.. Or should i just get soundsticks or the creatures? I wanted to save money, i can get the one i have now for about 25 bux compared to 60 dollers or 130 for Sound stick although they look really good.. What should i get?

Also portable ones anyone have suggestings for lighweight ones or should i use the Pro Apple ones and get adapter since they are nice speakers or i found these...

these

small lighweight but USB powered will that work? sorry about all questions PC connection and Mac is different so confused..