Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
333mhz CPU Speed
64mb RAM
10 GB Hard Drive
DVD-Rom Drive (sorry, no CD-RW)
8mb ATI Rage Video Card
Basic Built-in Speakers with Built-in Microphone (Microphone works decently, sometimes there's a lot of gain in the background)
OS 9.1 with iTunes and Apple DVD Player
1 USB slot with 2x USB slots in the keyboard for mouse, mp3 players, etc.
1 FireWire slot
Airport Ready

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Requirements of Tiger from Apple.com:

Requirements
Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
Built-in FireWire
DVD drive for installation
256MB of RAM
3GB of available hard disk space (4GB if you install the developer tools)

Seems you need more RAM to run it. Even so, I think it would be very slow. I'm guessing you'd be better off keeping OS9 on it.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
This relates to me as I am upgrading an iMac 350 (Indigo) to run OS X. It doesn't have a FireWire port, though. Why is it required?

tgg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Yea firewire really has to be there or what? Also Whats the latest version before the actual latest mac os because this wont be my primary pc I just need to learn the OS because I have my own onsite computer tech bussiness and I get calls from customers wanting to know if I know Macs.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
10.3 Panther was the previous version. (Maybe find it on Amazon or eBay?) Before that was 10.2 Jaguar.

I think all public OS X releases have required 128 RAM or more. But in the early OS X days I heard of people who installed it with only 64. Not Tiger though :)

You said in your first post that you DO have Firewire. (Which is needed only because it defines a machine as "new enough" I guess.)

If you don't have Firewire, that XpostFacto software I linked to may help you.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Tiger is even slow on my old 800Mhz iMac G4 with 256MB RAM.

So it will be veeery slow on a mac with those specs.

Jaguar and Panther was extremely fast on my old iMac, so I guess you should try one of those:)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
tgg said:
Yea firewire really has to be there or what? Also Whats the latest version before the actual latest mac os because this wont be my primary pc I just need to learn the OS because I have my own onsite computer tech bussiness and I get calls from customers wanting to know if I know Macs.

The OS does not actually require a Firewire port for anything. Apple simply listed this as this was a really simple way of stating which machines were fast enough for them to support. All machines without built-in Firewire were considered too slow.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
dextertangocci said:

Jaguar and Panther was extremely fast on my old iMac, so I guess you should try one of those:)

You forget that if his computer is old enough many effects are turned off. Your iMac G4 supports OpenGL - thus extra cpu cycles are used for things like minimizing, transparency, etc. The OP's computer won't show graphical goodies.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
dextertangocci said:

I didnt think it was slow on my 800MHz eMac, more RAM mind, but it had 384meg in for a long while and even then I didn't think it was what I'd call slow...

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
tgg said:
Are you coming from a Windows background and trying to build your own Mac?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
robbieduncan said:
The OS does not actually require a Firewire port for anything. Apple simply listed this as this was a really simple way of stating which machines were fast enough for them to support. All machines without built-in Firewire were considered too slow.

Tiger cannot even be installed on some of the earlier G3 iMacs. These might be the pre-Firewire iMacs, but I'm not entirely certain.

tgg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
crees! said:
Are you coming from a Windows background and trying to build your own Mac?

Well Yea i have a win2k gaming machine as my computer, and someone in the local papers here has a imac of the specs I listed for sale for 80 bucks.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I wouldn't do it. Keep shopping and you'll probably find a cheap G4 system:

G4 iMac

G4 iBook

Early Mac Mini

eMac (possibly the cheapest - sub-1Ghz)

With Intel chips in Macs now, old G4s should sell cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.