Will they screw me?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by vankras, Oct 29, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2005
    I just bought an ipod today. A black 30GB 5th gen. I plugged it in and then installed it. (the wrong order) Probably a mistake. But now it is frozen. It wont shut off, i can't change anything and it is stalled. Now I have no idea how to fix it and I am afraid they will give me a refurbished one. Can anyone help or am i screwed? does anyone know how to force it to shut off?

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Holding down the middle button and the top of the click wheel should restart it. :)
  3. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    once it restarts, might be best to restore it to total factory conditions using the latest ipod updater
  4. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    While others look for the solution, I think it's important to note that, as they are not nuclear-powered, it will shut off sooner or later and then probably be quite amenable to proper installation.

Edit: damn my slow-typing fingers! ;)
  5. macrumors member

Apr 30, 2005
    no way

no way -theres nothing wrong with just a matter of pressing the right button
    hold down menu and start together whilst its charging that should do it

if u cant get it going go here http://ilounge.com/

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2005
    you guys are my gods

so it worked and it restarted, i feel like a freaking idiot. should I really restore factory settings? how would one do that?

sorry for being so inept.

thanks again
  7. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

I wouldn't bother personally, not if it's working now. :)

You'd use the iPod Updater Software that came on the CD or can be found here.