Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I notice a clear difference between vernalised stability on the 5 vs the 5S and the iPad 4 vs Air - random reboots + crashes that don't happen on the A6 devices.

Mail on my iPad 2 never crashes even though thats running a backup I've had since iOS 4, yet a clean install of iOS 8 on the iPad Mini mail and other things crash.

Maybe its not widespread, but I don't think apple has the 64 bit devices running right....

Its the hardware limitation.

Yet out of all the other clear issues i pointed out: the pointless money spent on labor that an apple team would have to spend time (expensive labor) to optimize for devices that hardly anyone really wants, Making absolute marketing sense to optimize the OS for older devices rather then selling their new models.

A Lot (Keyword A Lot)Developers aren't going to waste time do make it compatible for A5 devices. Its a bother and a waste of time.

I've been waiting for them to drop the iPad Mini so we can stop uploading non-retina images into our damn source code and database.

Did a fresh install like i mentioned before and this device already started slowing down. Yup Not recommending or using any A5 Devices anymore.

I'm done with them, I'm going to just have customers buy used 4" iPhones or their own 4" iPhones rather then use the iPod Touch 5th Gen.

I had it with this device. Its definitely mind boggling why they didnt give it the same internals as the iPhone 5.

This model would of lasted much longer without any revision then.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Its the hardware limitation.

Yet out of all the other clear issues i pointed out: the pointless money spent on labor that an apple team would have to spend time (expensive labor) to optimize for devices that hardly anyone really wants, Making absolute marketing sense to optimize the OS for older devices rather then selling their new models.

A Lot (Keyword A Lot)Developers aren't going to waste time do make it compatible for A5 devices. Its a bother and a waste of time.

I've been waiting for them to drop the iPad Mini so we can stop uploading non-retina images into our damn source code and database.

Did a fresh install like i mentioned before and this device already started slowing down. Yup Not recommending or using any A5 Devices anymore.

I'm done with them, I'm going to just have customers buy used 4" iPhones or their own 4" iPhones rather then use the iPod Touch 5th Gen.

I had it with this device. Its definitely mind boggling why they didnt give it the same internals as the iPhone 5.

This model would of lasted much longer without any revision then.

Umm what hardware limitation?? My iPad Mini 2 is an A7 device and it is laggy and buggy as hell due to iOS 8.

You're wrong again. Plenty of people are still buying A5 devices, and the majority of iPad users are on an A5 device. So Apple are not "optimising for devices that hardly anyone really wants". Customer loyalty is important to Apple and making sure people get adequate software support is part of maintaining that.

Actually, developers will spend time making their app compatible with A5 devices. Otherwise they've cut their audience in half in terms of iPads.

Yep we get it - you're sick of A5 devices. Get over it. Plenty of people on A5 device are happy with what they have and can not yet afford an update. Plenty of people are currently buying A5 devices also.

It is now 6 or so days before WDDC and two A5 devices are still for sale. That pretty much guarantees support. That is a good thing for customers especially if Apple's new method of developing software for low end devices works well.

Last edited:

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Umm what hardware limitation?? My iPad Mini 2 is an A7 device and it is laggy and buggy as hell due to iOS 8.

You're wrong again. Plenty of people are still buying A5 devices, and the majority of iPad users are on an A5 device. So Apple are not "optimising for devices that hardly anyone really wants". Customer loyalty is important to Apple and making sure people get adequate software support is part of maintaining that.

Actually, developers will spend time making their app compatible with A5 devices. Otherwise they've cut their audience in half in terms of iPads.

Yep we get it - you're sick of A5 devices. Get over it. Plenty of people on A5 device are happy with what they have and can not yet afford an update. Plenty of people are currently buying A5 devices also.

It is now 6 or so days before WDDC and two A5 devices are still for sale. That pretty much guarantees support. That is a good thing for customers especially if Apple's new method of developing software for low end devices works well.

I don't remember apple discontinuing devices before WDDC. Mainly before/after

Your iPad Mini 2 is buggy? Are you sure you're not a victim of what you suggested before? A corrupt iOS?

The Mini 2s i work with is fine, it has 1 GB of ram and a faster processor. The Mini 1s i work with is ultimately very slow.

Customer loyalty? lol, if it was about that devices wouldn't get slower with each iOS update. This has been the case for EVERY major iOS update (iOS 3,4,5, etc).

Not to mention discontinuing products that still made profit (MBP 17")

Developers aren't going to spend time for older devices. Simple apps like social media, email, obviously because those aren't memory intensive or processor intense at all. In fact you probably wouldn't need to optimize unless the iOS is the reason why its slowing things down.

How do you know developers will? Obviously like i stated I'm not talking about simple apps, I'm talking about Business apps , Games, ETC ETC. There are TONS of apps out there that don't support any A5 devices.

Dude, even if you're flipping burgers for your career, you can get the Air 2 or Mini 3. Hell the Air and Mini 2 are good buys. Why get a very obsolete device thats only $50 dollars cheaper?

Why anyone would buy one besides getting it for their kids that are rowdy is beyond me. Even for adults that want to save money its so laggy its not even worth getting.

Why wouldn't they drop A5 Devices? Whats going to happen when they drop the support? The people that buy these A5 devices are 1. aren't tech savvy at all 2. have no idea how to buy electronics 3. they don't care about being supported.

What did these type of consumers do when they dropped support for the 3GS? 4? they just used it, they don't even know about the updates or they don't want it.

So i don't see the reason why they'd need to even continue the support these obsolete devices.

You might have some magical A5 devices, but for me and for almost all on this forum its near unusable.

But who are these "plenty" of people. They're seriously going to buy an iPad Mini 1 thats $50 dollars cheaper? Compared to a Mini 2 that runs more efficiently and has 1 GB of ram and a faster processor?

Like i said, these people aren't going to buy or download Apps that programmers develop that would need optimization for these devices.

If they did, they'd obviously know which product to invest their money on.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I don't remember apple discontinuing devices before WDDC. Mainly before/after

Not sure what you mean by not before but mainly before.. Apple has never discontinued support for a device that it still sells when it announces the next version of iOS.

Your iPad Mini 2 is buggy? Are you sure you're not a victim of what you suggested before? A corrupt iOS?

Nup. Plenty of people on here have issues with A7 devices and iOS 8.

Customer loyalty? lol, if it was about that devices wouldn't get slower with each iOS update. This has been the case for EVERY major iOS update (iOS 3,4,5, etc).

There is a difference between a device slowing as it ages, and loosing support. iOS 6 actually sped up performance on some devices.

Developers aren't going to spend time for older devices. Simple apps like social media, email, obviously because those aren't memory intensive or processor intense at all. In fact you probably wouldn't need to optimize unless the iOS is the reason why its slowing things down.

How do you know developers will? Obviously like i stated I'm not talking about simple apps, I'm talking about Business apps , Games, ETC ETC. There are TONS of apps out there that don't support any A5 devices.

I've nevcer come across an App that would not run on my iPad 2.

Dude, even if you're flipping burgers for your career, you can get the Air 2 or Mini 3. Hell the Air and Mini 2 are good buys. Why get a very obsolete device thats only $50 dollars cheaper?

Not really. Many people don't have the money for new devices. I certainly don't.

Why anyone would buy one besides getting it for their kids that are rowdy is beyond me. Even for adults that want to save money its so laggy its not even worth getting.

Because they're cheap and there is no other iPod Touch.

Why wouldn't they drop A5 Devices? Whats going to happen when they drop the support? The people that buy these A5 devices are 1. aren't tech savvy at all 2. have no idea how to buy electronics 3. they don't care about being supported.

You've made some poor assumptions there. They won't drop A5 devices as around half of the current iPad users are on an A5 device and they are still selling them. Its as simple as that.

What did these type of consumers do when they dropped support for the 3GS? 4? they just used it, they don't even know about the updates or they don't want it.

They eventually upgraded or left Apple. The 3GS in 2013 and the 4 in 2014 are no comparison to the number of people who are on A5 devices in 2015. The 3GS was one device not the 5 different A5 devices.

So i don't see the reason why they'd need to even continue the support these obsolete devices.

Because you're wrong. They're not obsolete and they're still for sale and in mass use by people who are reasonably happy with them.

You might have some magical A5 devices, but for me and for almost all on this forum its near unusable.

Wrong again. Plenty of people on here are happy with their A5 device performance. Macrumours is not a accurate snapshot of all users either. around 60 percent of iPad users on A5 devices would also say that the wider population is happy enough.

But who are these "plenty" of people. They're seriously going to buy an iPad Mini 1 thats $50 dollars cheaper? Compared to a Mini 2 that runs more efficiently and has 1 GB of ram and a faster processor?

Just because you don't understand their actions does not mean that it is not happening. As I said in Quarter 4 of last year the iPad Mini sold more than the iPad Mini 2 and 3.

Like i said, these people aren't going to buy or download Apps that programmers develop that would need optimization for these devices.

Yes they are. I've looked at statistics for app developers, and people on iPad Mini 1s and iPad 2s are huge app downloaders.

If they did, they'd obviously know which product to invest their money on.

Downloading an App does' mean you're up to date with everything. I know people who against my advice have gone for the saving and bought an A5 device because the Apple store has told them that its fine.

I think you're fighting a lost battle here. From Apple's past patterns there is a pretty much 99 percent chance of A5 support in iOS 9. Not to mention iOS 9 is an optimisation release as far as we know. Did you not read the huge number of rumours that iOS 9 is getting optimised for A5 devices? If that were false Apple would have leaked information to contradict it.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

Ironically enough, those who are buying A5 devices probably won't care that their iDevice won't be able to run ios9, or can't even run ios8 in a "satisfactory manner". It's like the deal with Android platform back around mid-2013... 50%+ of the Android market was already on Android 4.x+. If you can do extra work that's worth it to you to also support Android 2.x, then go for it. Otherwise, the majority of folks still on Android 2.x likely got for free or $20 or less low end Android phones for the sole purposes of making phone calls, texting, taking pics, and perhaps some Candy Crush (or whatever the equivalent was at the time). They weren't going to buy your apps anyways.

While I have no sources of how well Apple fulfills customer loyalty, I will say that I can't give them the benefit of the doubt given that all companies are only loyal to a point. Once they have to bend over backwards, that's were the goodwill ends.

I don't have figures to back this up, but I do recall when ios5 (or was it ios6) came out, ios3 got largely ignored. The new changes to the API, and other developer features made it worth many developers' whiles to just abandon ios3. It was too costly in terms of time and effort to make it compatible with ios3 as well. Not sure if the hardware, A5, shares the same plight, but I can legitimately see devs abandoning the A5. Or at least just saying it won't be supported, good luck with whatever you make of that. Besides, this all goes against Apple's dev philosophy... when a new version of ios comes out, get as many folks to update as possible (and they sport 86% early adaption rates). Again, i'd imagine they would much prefer folks to buy new hardware, lifespan of a device be damned.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Ironically enough, those who are buying A5 devices probably won't care that their iDevice won't be able to run ios9, or can't even run ios8 in a "satisfactory manner". It's like the deal with Android platform back around mid-2013... 50%+ of the Android market was already on Android 4.x+. If you can do extra work that's worth it to you to also support Android 2.x, then go for it. Otherwise, the majority of folks still on Android 2.x likely got for free or $20 or less low end Android phones for the sole purposes of making phone calls, texting, taking pics, and perhaps some Candy Crush (or whatever the equivalent was at the time). They weren't going to buy your apps anyways.

While I have no sources of how well Apple fulfills customer loyalty, I will say that I can't give them the benefit of the doubt given that all companies are only loyal to a point. Once they have to bend over backwards, that's were the goodwill ends.

I don't have figures to back this up, but I do recall when ios5 (or was it ios6) came out, ios3 got largely ignored. The new changes to the API, and other developer features made it worth many developers' whiles to just abandon ios3. It was too costly in terms of time and effort to make it compatible with ios3 as well. Not sure if the hardware, A5, shares the same plight, but I can legitimately see devs abandoning the A5. Or at least just saying it won't be supported, good luck with whatever you make of that. Besides, this all goes against Apple's dev philosophy... when a new version of ios comes out, get as many folks to update as possible (and they sport 86% early adaption rates). Again, i'd imagine they would much prefer folks to buy new hardware, lifespan of a device be damned.

Yes they are. I've looked at statistics for app developers, and people on iPad Mini 1s and iPad 2s are huge app downloaders.

Like i said, which apps? A lot of games won't support it, i can't put my name on multiple but dude there are multiple apps i came across that simply don't support any A5 devices.

Simple apps aren't going to need much optimization nor would they spend all that labor to do it. Programming is expensive labor, and not to mention tedious.

Again, its probably the device. When i use my iPod 5th Gen for testing or personal use i literally have to punch in keys ahead of time like a old laggy computer. (punching in keys and having them display on the screen 1-2 mins later)

sometimes it just crashes and these are on built in iOS apps. The 512MB of ram is a huge limitation, I'm really not able to tell if its the A5, the 512 MB of memory, or both.

But one things for certain, that 512MB of ram is definitely not cutting it. A5 Might be fine, but the 512 MB of ram isn't.

It isn't even 512 MB of ram!!! its 200MB!!! sometimes it crashes when it uses less then 200MB of ram as well (189-190MB)

But what are those iPad sales and app download statistics from is it international or domestic (US).

It matters greatly, because of one simple place. China.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I personally think there's a good chance that they will update the iPod touch this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they unveil it in September with the new iPhone and continue to sell the 5th gen until mid next year like they did with the 4th gen. Apple likes to have its iPod touch contain only half the amount of RAM of the current iPhone (since the 4th gen) and half of the performance. Since the A8 wasn't a big performance booster and had the same amount of RAM, an A7 iPod touch last year would have been too close in performance to the flagship iPhone. Plus, they needed to focus on the demand for the iPhone's displays. With the force touch displays coming to the next iPhone, it would make sense to use the "older ones" on the iPod touch.

My guess would be a 4.7" iPod touch with an A8 processor with 1GB of RAM, Touch ID and Apple Pay, and either the iPad Air 2's camera if they do not want a protruding camera or the iPhone 5s's or iPhone 6's camera if they do. They could even take advantage of the upcoming Apple TV's A8 processor as economies of scale. They've done it before with the A5, now's the time with the A8.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Not sure what you mean by not before but mainly before.. Apple has never discontinued support for a device that it still sells when it announces the next version of iOS.

Nup. Plenty of people on here have issues with A7 devices and iOS 8.

There is a difference between a device slowing as it ages, and loosing support. iOS 6 actually sped up performance on some devices.

I've nevcer come across an App that would not run on my iPad 2.

Not really. Many people don't have the money for new devices. I certainly don't.

Because they're cheap and there is no other iPod Touch.

You've made some poor assumptions there. They won't drop A5 devices as around half of the current iPad users are on an A5 device and they are still selling them. Its as simple as that.

They eventually upgraded or left Apple. The 3GS in 2013 and the 4 in 2014 are no comparison to the number of people who are on A5 devices in 2015. The 3GS was one device not the 5 different A5 devices.

Because you're wrong. They're not obsolete and they're still for sale and in mass use by people who are reasonably happy with them.

Wrong again. Plenty of people on here are happy with their A5 device performance. Macrumours is not a accurate snapshot of all users either. around 60 percent of iPad users on A5 devices would also say that the wider population is happy enough.

Just because you don't understand their actions does not mean that it is not happening. As I said in Quarter 4 of last year the iPad Mini sold more than the iPad Mini 2 and 3.

Downloading an App does' mean you're up to date with everything. I know people who against my advice have gone for the saving and bought an A5 device because the Apple store has told them that its fine.

I think you're fighting a lost battle here. From Apple's past patterns there is a pretty much 99 percent chance of A5 support in iOS 9. Not to mention iOS 9 is an optimisation release as far as we know. Did you not read the huge number of rumours that iOS 9 is getting optimised for A5 devices? If that were false Apple would have leaked information to contradict it.

lol fighting a losing battle? Don't take this as a personal attack, but it seems like you're just saying these statements just to make you feel better about your device or your purchase.

These A5 devices (I'm handling iPad Minis right now) can't even run built in OS apps correctly Messaging, Appstore, Calendar.

Like i mentioned before, here i am with an A5 devices. Crashes on everything, slow, keyboard responsiveness is utterly slow.

Cant even download apps from the App Store, takes about a good 3-5 minutes. (this was after a fresh restore, as iPads are expensive and i try to get them working so customers don't have to dish out $2,000-$10,000 replacing their devices.)

Seriously, i really don't know what YOU do. But you stated you're not a developer, no ones going to optimize it for this mess. Its very limited with its hardware. 512MB of ram is equivalent of having 1.5 GB of ram on a computer today.

Again, i don't know how many A5 devices you have experience with, but i've installed and compiled on over 300.

and again its not just using it couple times i do EXTENSIVE testing. Because customers can't lose orders on here or time. Core data helps of course, but then how stupid does our customer looks when THEIR customers see that their app crashes because of a 200MB (sometimes less) memory limit and they have to open up the app again.

not to mention all this takes considerably long since their A5 devices (app getting killed/crashed, starting up the app, then going back to the screen they were at). Lol don't even mention having multiple apps open on it.

But if saying A5 devices still work and they're good and dandy, then whatever makes you feel better man. Because I go through hell.

A6 or A7 devices are buggy? Yeah i know, obviously, our company develops them. But NONE of them crash because of memory limitations and NOWHERE near as often.

Dude, i can't even do a use a TextDidChange function on a search bar because its just too slow and you can't type when you have a data loaded on to a view.

So i really don't know what world, or what year you're living in.

Im frustrated with these devices, and I'm sure the rest of the world is too.

lol people can't spend $50 dollars more for an iPad Mini 2? Then what the hell are they doing spending $250 for an iPad Mini 1? When obviously its a smarter investment which is going to make them last more years.

edit: still not working, just because it works for your devices or some doesn't mean its good.

majority do not work properly and at no point is it qualified in the business industry, even for its native iOS apps

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
lol fighting a losing battle? Don't take this as a personal attack, but it seems like you're just saying these statements just to make you feel better about your device or your purchase.

No I am not. You're taking this very personally actually because its all about your development. The wider iPad community and most average users are fine with A5 devices. Thus why around 60 percent of people still use them. I still see the all the time. Almost everyone I know has at least one A5 device.

You're fighting a loosing battle. WWDC is in 3 days and they're still selling A5 devices. Not a good idea, but Apple has the obligation to update them.

These A5 devices (I'm handling iPad Minis right now) can't even run built in OS apps correctly Messaging, Appstore, Calendar.

You're using it wrong then. I'm on my iPad 2 right now. It can handle Messaging fine. Same with App store and calendar.

Like i mentioned before, here i am with an A5 devices. Crashes on everything, slow, keyboard responsiveness is utterly slow.

They're not as fast as the newer devices but for most people perfectly usable. No one would be using them if they were as bad as that. Again A7 devices can crash just as often. Mail on my Mini 2 crashes more often than on my iPad 2.

Cant even download apps from the App Store, takes about a good 3-5 minutes. (this was after a fresh restore, as iPads are expensive and i try to get them working so customers don't have to dish out $2,000-$10,000 replacing their devices.)

Your network speed must be slow. Thats

Seriously, i really don't know what YOU do. But you stated you're not a developer, no ones going to optimize it for this mess. Its very limited with its hardware. 512MB of ram is equivalent of having 1.5 GB of ram on a computer today.

I provide tech consultancy to a large number of people, including upgrades, purchases, installation, training and the regular constancy stuff. I come across users with iPad 2s, iPad 3s, iPhone 4S's all the time. I personally use an iPad 2, iPad Mini 2 (which I use for demonstrations while training) and an iPhone 5. I frequently use an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3.

Again, i don't know how many A5 devices you have experience with, but i've installed and compiled on over 300.

I come across huge numbers of A5 devices while training people or giving lessons.

and again its not just using it couple times i do EXTENSIVE testing. Because customers can't lose orders on here or time. Core data helps of course, but then how stupid does our customer looks when THEIR customers see that their app crashes because of a 200MB (sometimes less) memory limit and they have to open up the app again.

I rarely see App crashes on any A5 device, unless its a bug that effects a number of devices. Maybe your app is not suited to A5 devices, as many others run fast, albeit a little slow at times.

But if saying A5 devices still work and they're good and dandy, then whatever makes you feel better man. Because I go through hell.

Considering the majority of iPad users have an A5 device, it works fine for most people. Your experience is very different to everyone elses. You're talking about business. Most people use their iPads for home use and A5 devices seem fine for that.

So i really don't know what world, or what year you're living in.

Im frustrated with these devices, and I'm sure the rest of the world is too.

lol people can't spend $50 dollars more for an iPad Mini 2? Then what the hell are they doing spending $250 for an iPad Mini 1? When obviously its a smarter investment which is going to make them last more years.

edit: still not working, just because it works for your devices or some doesn't mean its good.

majority do not work properly and at no point is it qualified in the business industry, even for its native iOS apps

I live in a world where I see users using A5 devices running fine. I live in a world where the majority of my friends are still on iPhone 4S's and happy. I live in a world that I see people on A5 iPads all the time. I live in a world where the majority of iPad users are on an A5 device and presumably happy, otherwise they'd be running to get a newer iPad.

I am not justifying people buying an iPad Mini 1, but to deny that its not happening is foolish. It is happening and the Q4 2014 results and Q1 2015 say the same thing. They're still selling in volume.

Apple has made a poor choice to keep A5 devices on sale for way too long, so that means they're obliged to give support.

Its obvious that A5 devices do not work for YOU or in your form of business. However there are plenty of perfectly happy home users. My parents are both happy with an A5 iPad for example, which they use for all their media 'consumption', internet, mail etc. If A5 iPads were such a diaster for the whole world, people would not be using them in bulk.

Right now, all the rumours have indicated iOS 9 support for A5 devices, which may mean speed improvements. Better ram usage will be a great improvement on all devices. iOS 8 is terrible for ram usage as evidenced by the web page reloads in Safari on A8 and A7 devices wit 1 GB of ram.

The simple fact that they're still selling two A5 devices in addition to the number of A5 devices currently in use indicate continued support.

jonathanuy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
To jump in here with some points of agreement with both of you, I have found my iPad Mini slower and slower when using Safari, so much more so that I now strongly prefer my MacBook and even my iPhone 6 for Safari use. The Mini is just too slow. However, I have found it amazingly stable (and fast enough) for media streaming (usually ESPN). It's rock solid and doesn't crash. It's arguable more stable than my MacBook when going to PC sites that require Flash (granted that might be more of a Flash issue).

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
To jump in here with some points of agreement with both of you, I have found my iPad Mini slower and slower when using Safari, so much more so that I now strongly prefer my MacBook and even my iPhone 6 for Safari use. The Mini is just too slow. However, I have found it amazingly stable (and fast enough) for media streaming (usually ESPN). It's rock solid and doesn't crash. It's arguable more stable than my MacBook when going to PC sites that require Flash (granted that might be more of a Flash issue).

I would very much agree with you. Web browsing post iOS 8 is not pretty on A5 devices, however this is probably down to very poor ram management in iOS 8. The idea is that iOS 9 will improve on this and would probably then make browsing better again. I don't find my iPad 2 unusable for safari, but I do have quite a few settings turned off for safari to improve performance.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
are we getting ios 8.4 this monday?
No apparently the the last week in June.

I highly doubt that iOS 8.4 will help performance though... I think the lack of improvement across iOS 8.X has been down to Apple putting its resources into iOS 9...

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
No I am not. You're taking this very personally actually because its all about your development. The wider iPad community and most average users are fine with A5 devices. Thus why around 60 percent of people still use them. I still see the all the time. Almost everyone I know has at least one A5 device.

You're fighting a loosing battle. WWDC is in 3 days and they're still selling A5 devices. Not a good idea, but Apple has the obligation to update them.

You're using it wrong then. I'm on my iPad 2 right now. It can handle Messaging fine. Same with App store and calendar.

They're not as fast as the newer devices but for most people perfectly usable. No one would be using them if they were as bad as that. Again A7 devices can crash just as often. Mail on my Mini 2 crashes more often than on my iPad 2.

Your network speed must be slow. Thats

I provide tech consultancy to a large number of people, including upgrades, purchases, installation, training and the regular constancy stuff. I come across users with iPad 2s, iPad 3s, iPhone 4S's all the time. I personally use an iPad 2, iPad Mini 2 (which I use for demonstrations while training) and an iPhone 5. I frequently use an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3.

I come across huge numbers of A5 devices while training people or giving lessons.

I rarely see App crashes on any A5 device, unless its a bug that effects a number of devices. Maybe your app is not suited to A5 devices, as many others run fast, albeit a little slow at times.

Considering the majority of iPad users have an A5 device, it works fine for most people. Your experience is very different to everyone elses. You're talking about business. Most people use their iPads for home use and A5 devices seem fine for that.

I live in a world where I see users using A5 devices running fine. I live in a world where the majority of my friends are still on iPhone 4S's and happy. I live in a world that I see people on A5 iPads all the time. I live in a world where the majority of iPad users are on an A5 device and presumably happy, otherwise they'd be running to get a newer iPad.

I am not justifying people buying an iPad Mini 1, but to deny that its not happening is foolish. It is happening and the Q4 2014 results and Q1 2015 say the same thing. They're still selling in volume.

Apple has made a poor choice to keep A5 devices on sale for way too long, so that means they're obliged to give support.

Its obvious that A5 devices do not work for YOU or in your form of business. However there are plenty of perfectly happy home users. My parents are both happy with an A5 iPad for example, which they use for all their media 'consumption', internet, mail etc. If A5 iPads were such a diaster for the whole world, people would not be using them in bulk.

Right now, all the rumours have indicated iOS 9 support for A5 devices, which may mean speed improvements. Better ram usage will be a great improvement on all devices. iOS 8 is terrible for ram usage as evidenced by the web page reloads in Safari on A8 and A7 devices wit 1 GB of ram.

The simple fact that they're still selling two A5 devices in addition to the number of A5 devices currently in use indicate continued support.

First of all, I work for a software company that sells to manufactures that have offices around the world, that host retail and wholesale websites, etc etc.

So no, the internet connection is not slow. Neither at the office or at our customers. Doesn't seem like a very thought out reply. Considering everything I mentioned about work. Yeah a software company (as in US) is going to have slow connection or a company that hosts data or website thats going to be accessed all around the world and with traffic. Upload and download speeds are all high.

Second, and yet I say again, it my work well for YOUR ONE DEVICE. Not to well on the 200+ A5 devices I have worked with. (iPad 2, iPad Mini 1, iPod 5th Gen), to to mention our apps started from the 3GS/iPad/iPod Touch 4th Gen line. So yes I've seen the nature of the devices and how it reacts to OS upgrades. (OS upgrades also includes all the extra goodies and features we developers get).

I'm not going to say that you're lying, but to handle as many A5 devices i had and to say its perfectly fine sounds like a tall tale to me.

Again, i do EXTENSIVE testing. one time i have 5 items in my order, other times I'm going to have 250+ items. Sometimes I'm going to have 5 orders, sometimes I'm going to have 500 orders. Sometimes I'm gonna load only 50 Items, others I'm going to upload over 8,000 items.

^ Yes, thats my app. but it doesn't pertain to my app only i have to use tons of other crap to test exporting and importing things to other apps (such as skitch, etc etc)

It just can't handle basic iOS functions and it crashes. you can't have consistent crashes in the work place.

Third, What sales are you talking about? Is this Domestic (US) or is this International?

That $50 dollar price difference between the Mini and Mini 2 is much more huge in other countries. Perfect example would be China, which would inflate those sales numbers.

To me domestic sales in that volume on an obsolete device in those numbers is just appalling, that means most of the consumers are irresponsible buyers.

Which makes it hard to believe at this day and age (In the western world). Its an E-commerce Everyone does their homework, especially if its something thats going to be $100+. They're going to compare prices , and tech specs.

2nd, 3rd world countries would be less so. So unless a whole bunch of baby boomers are buying the iPad Mini 1 unknowingly that its a bad investment then yeah those figures are hard to believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.