will this cable work with my AirPort Express?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eyeon, Sep 1, 2004.

1. eyeon macrumors regular

I just got my AirPort express, and failed to realize that I needed a 1/8" mini-to-toslink cable in order to connect it to my stereo. I scoured the town for a compatible cable, and no one seemed to know what I was talking about, so I was forced to order one from the internet. I just got it, and after reading all of the small print on the box I have noticed that this cable is a 1/8" TOSLINK to standard toslink cable, not just a plain old stereo mini plug-to-toslink... wedged my fingers into the box and pulled out the 1/8" plug and plugged it into my AirPort Ex just to see if it fits, and it does, perfectly. However, I am afraid to open the box and test it because of the possiblity of it not being the right thing and thus having to return it. Can anyone tell me if this will work??? God I hope so, I'm getting really tired of waiting to use this thing.

I am very concerned with audio quality, which is why I chose the digital optical instead of analog. Also, if this cable does not work, can anyone recommend one that will (besides the monster cable kit deal on Apple's web site)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

If one end is 1/8" and the other looks like it will fit in your receiver (a square with a couple rounded corners) then you will be fine. Monster cable is overrated for most applications. Even if it is wrong, you could probably return/exchange it.

cpjakes

3. fradac macrumors regular

hey

firstly quick question, you are gonna attach the cable to a optical input in your music system? because if you dont' have an optical input you don't need an optical cable

as connections go, airport works with both optical and regular stereo cables. you can NOT mix between the two connection types, i.e. either you do optical to optical or do regular to regular

i think the one you have right now is a mini toslink to normal toslink something like this

http://store.a2zcable.com/avtm-10.html

if you have optical input in your reciever then this is perfect...

on the other hand if you just have RCA (left and right) input on the reciever then you need something like this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZOYrx8CbjNe/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=043183190

i hope this helps didn't mean to sound clever, just wanted to make sure we got it sorted out.

4. eyeon thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, thanks for the replies! After reading them, I was confident that it would work, and so ripped open the box and plugged it in... works great!