Will this card support dual monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Scribbler, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Scribbler macrumors newbie

I have 2 VGA monitors and I've been trying for ages to somehow get my mac to display on them.

I have a 533 DA which has the geforce 2 mx card with VGA and ADC ports. I've thought about buying an ADC - VGA adapter but I read somewhere that even when "adapted" the card won't support it?

Alternatively I saw this on on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GeForce2-MX-A...848163153QQcategoryZ80034QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Will this one work?

Failing this, could I stick an old PCI card in?

I want to do this as cheaply as possible and quality of graphics isn't super-important :D

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

AFAIK your GeForce2MX will support two VGA monitors as long as you use the ADC-VGA adapter...and there really isn't a cheaper way to do it than that.

If for some reason that does not work a PCI video card, particularly the Radeon 7000, should fit the bill of a cheap and effective solution. There are also plenty of other dual-display capable Mac AGP video cards in the Radeon and GeForce families.

If I'm not mistaken the card you show from ebay is identical to the one you already have? :confused:

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

4. Scribbler thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought. It is a geforce2 mx but it has DVI instead of ADC and is from a quicksilver not DA.

Are you sure mine is compatible? (what does AFAIK mean :confused: )

5. Scribbler thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

that geforce 2 is identical, ADC technically is DVI, just with power and usb. it was but a typo.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

AFAIK = As Far As I Know. I once swore never to use those silly acronyms, but I'm lazy. :eek:

I can't confirm Hector on the 2MX being mirrored only but I've got no reason to doubt him either.;)

I also agree that the 9600 from OWC is a good buy - I have one and love it. The ADC port will not work as and ADC port, but with a VGA adapter it should be fine.

Long story (sort of) short - OWC got a bunch of pulled Radeon 9600 Pros from G5 towers. They modified them by removing two conductive leads from the card edge connector. This changed the card from an 8x AGP card to a 4x AGP card, suitable for use in G4 towers. However, the ADC port needs power that comes via a special extra connector. This connector is located in a different spot on G4 motherboards and the the G5 card doesn't line up, leaving the ADC port unpowered. Result: The DVI port works fine, and the ADC port will produce signal (adaquate for a VGA display with adaptor) but no power to drive an ADC monitor without further modification (it can and has been done but requires some soldering).

This is a good card for the money, better than a Radeon 9000 or 9200, or a GeForce 3/4/5200. And it can drive two displays.

9. Scribbler thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

pci/agp cards dont work like master and slave, you plug it in and it works and you configure it in system preferences, just get a 9600 and be done with it, it'll be a nice upgrade for you.

11. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I just went to the Apple store and bought a $25 ADC to VGA adapter while I'm waiting for my 9800 Pro to show up... the ebay seller ran with my money

12. Scribbler thread starter macrumors newbie

The 9600 is $79 and an adapter would be another $25 = $104 (£65). I agree it would be a nice upgrade but I just can't afford it!

I might just get an adapter and hope it isn't mirrored!

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

14. Scribbler thread starter macrumors newbie