Will this cause problems with phones...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by furryrabidbunny, Aug 5, 2006.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I plan on setting up a wireless network (which will only be used in my room) for my tivo and iMac. I had the tivo going through my phone line... but I upgraded to vonage and forgot all about it. This would be my router of choice http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3/ref=sr_1_1/103-4297498-4961432?ie=UTF8&s=pc. I have a wireless phone system running at 2.4 ghz. Not worried if there is minor problems by the wireless base station, I just want to know if the phones will be usable in the house.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As long as your phone has a channel selector, and there are no *other* sources of RFI in the house, you should usually be fine. Just put the router on one end of the channel spectrum and the phone on the other end.

3. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Well my phone doesn't... do routers normally have that function... where I could just play around with the phone till it sounds good? Without either having the feature... what are the general problems associated with the two? (I have no experience with wireless setups).

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Routers do, yes. If your phone doesn't (check and make sure... if this is a nice phone "system," it should)... mmm, depending on how it works, you may experience trouble with the phone. My parents had a cheap 2.4GHz phone and when we put the wireless system in, we were able to get the WiFi working fine, but the phone was always staticky. But what we ended up doing was replacing it with a nicer but older 900MHz system that I had.

5. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

The phone system is nice... 80.00 Uniden base station + phones. I was surprised when I couldn't find anything about it in the manual. I emailed support... but I am not too worried since the router should (i'll just have to keep calling the house till it sounds good).