will this dirt cheep 80 gig Hd fit in my dual usb ibook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mord, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

2. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

The main thing You have to worry about when installing a new hard drive inside a iBook or Powerbook is heat. The HD is in fact CHEAP and heat is an issue with cheaper drives if you want a new hard drive go to Mac ResQ They sell hard drives for iBooks and Powerbooks

3. jtown macrumors 6502

That's just plain ignorant.

The drive sells for $200-325. Are you saying that it'll run cooler ifI pay $325? I've seen other brands as high as $500. Will those run even cooler? :rolleyes:

4. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

I live in the uk so cheep here is moderately priced in the us.

It is the same high end toshiba HD listed on there site

the mini ipod is £200 ($364) here!!!!!!!!

+ thers a vent right next to where the HD is + my ibook has a fan (it rarely is activated).

5. jtown macrumors 6502

I was calling Spock's "cheap=heat" claim ignorant. £163.31(including tax) is a decent price for that drive in the UK and it should work just fine in an ibook.

6. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

You my freind are "Ignorant" I worked for Apple on the iBook I know the iBook and cheap Hard Disk's generaly generate more heat becouse they are not: Tested inside the actual computer, They are not treated for heat as well I could go on I am not saying it is a bad drive and even if it were a new Hard Drive from any company heat would be somthing to look at I don't really give a F*** what kind of Hard Drive anyone puts in their computer I was just trying to be helpfull and You are making Youself out to be a Jack Ass. I did not notice where he lived I was just trying to give him helpfull advice Sorry "jtown"

7. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

sure it is ok, but it seems changing a hard drive for ibook isn't easy. you probably want to have a certified tech do it as i have heard one needs to remove logic board to change it. or at least you will have to be very careful...

however, if you choose to do it, i can recommend the hitachi 60gig 7200rpm drive - that runs in fact a lot cooler than stock drives. i replaced my powerbook's stock drive with such, and immediately noticed that fan goes off a lot less. the 7k60 drive is also a great deal faster, so if you can sacrifice 20gigs for speed, it will be worth it.

9. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

I laugh in the fase of difficult upgrades (prowd owner of g4 cube with radeon 9000)

muhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

im currently opting for the 80 gig ibm as it too beats the crap out of the 20 gig, both the 80 and the 60 (7200) have a max transfer rate of 100mbps so ill be geting the 80

thanks for the imput