Will this drive fit in my mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NightLord, Apr 10, 2006.

1. NightLord macrumors regular

I want to buy this for putting in my mac mini. Just curious to know if it'll fit, since a mac mini is basically an iBook sans screen and keyboard.

An answer within 56 minutes would be preferable :p

PS: If it helps, its a G4 Mac Mini

2. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

4. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

That is incorrect, macs in particular are very very picky with what hardware you throw in it. The software (osx, toast, etc) are also very picky. My advice is to make absolute sure that the dvd drive (if you get a non apple branded drive) is in fact mac compatible. Be sure to do extra research on it and whether or not it would require patchburn. Also go with someone that has a good return policy.

There is an user database at xlr8yourmac.com

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

no, it's completely correct, their are very few slot loading drives, apple has used practically every model and even in the unlikely event that you use one that apple has never used it'll work all but maybe ilife apps (and even then it probably will work with idvd, apples been supporting allot more drives lately)

6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Well I am speaking through experience and I learned this the hard way. Panther, nor Tiger recognized the drive I had installed and no it was not DOA. If memory serves correct, it was a Panasonic.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it was probably set in cable select mode or something, i've never had an optical drive have less than at least read capability without software patches.

8. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

So basically any laptop DVD Burner will fit?

That helps a great deal :)

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord