Will this drive work in my soon-to-be-purchased Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AaronICT, Feb 16, 2007.

1. AaronICT macrumors member

Seagate 400GB ST3400633AS-RK Serial ATA (SATA/300) Retail Hard Drive..

* Serial ATA (SATA/300) Interface
    * Barracuda 7200.9 Series
    * 7200 RPM
    * 16MB Buffer

Fry's has them for $109 shipped and I'm thinking of buying two if they'll work.

Thanks!

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Perfectly. On Holidays Fry's Sells It For $99.99

That's exactly it. On holidays they sell that drive for $99.99. You might want to wait 'til Monday to see if it happens like it has in the past. :)

You waiting for the 8 core like me?

3. AaronICT thread starter macrumors member

Well this is the President's Day sale according to their website, but I can wait until Monday, sure.

I'm not waiting for the octo-core; I'm just waiting until the 20th to see if anything becomes of the rumored product announcement. Just to be safe.

Monday I'm taking a drive to my closest Apple Store to (hopefully) play with a Mac Pro before I plunk down the money for it through the online store. Or however long it takes to get my Student ADC verified.

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

WAIT For The Mac Pro Refresh

They are the best you can buy.

8 Core will ship by end of March or Mid-April NAB WITH LEOPARD for sure. You should use your Academic ONE TIME ONLY purchase to get the 8 core WITH LEOPARD for a song. You will porably be sorry you didn't get the 8 core if you are in college. You will out grow the 4 core in nothing flat surrounded by fellow students with 8 cores. Will really bum you out. You can't say I didn't tell you so when you start to get that feeling later this year.

You need to reevaluate your plan, exercise patience and WAIT for the 8 core with Leopard and iLife '07 onboard for no extra charge. They may even offer the same 4 core model you think you want with HDMI i/o etc. It is very unwise to buy a Mac Pro you don't have to have right this minute until the next Mac Pro refresh is announced.

Bottom line is you will hate yourself for not waiting.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Any serial drive will work in the Mac. Though there were some issues with some firmwares in the past, but it shouldn't be an issue now. Might want to wait until you actually have that new Mac in hand though. Could be cheaper by then. Fry's is always having sales, and Newegg is pretty cheap too.