Will this hard drive work with my Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by p0intblank, May 21, 2006.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

My PowerBook's internal drive reported as FAILING so it's time to replace it with a better faster one. Here is some text from my System Profiler summary regarding my hard drive:

TOSHIBA MK8025GAS:

Capacity: 74.53 GB
    Model: TOSHIBA MK8025GAS
    Revision: KA021B
    Serial Number: 54E53972S
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Protocol: ATA
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    OS9 Drivers: No
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Failing

So my question is will this drive work with my PowerBook? Also how easy is it to install?

Thanks a lot! :)

2. ncook06 macrumors regular

I don't see why not. Is there something specific that you see?

3. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

It looks to be the same drive as OWC has listed for much more. Here is the link to that one so that you can compare the model numbers if you like.
    So yes, it should be fine as long as your Mac is not an Intel mac.

4. rick6502 macrumors member

Yes

Otherworldcomputing sells that exact drive as a Powerbook replacement drive. So as far as size goes you're good. They also have a very nice video on how to install the drive in a powerbook.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/directory.html
    Watch the video and if you freak out, that answers your question about install. I think they, and others, offer a service to replace drives for you.

5. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the replies. I watched the video you provided. The installation process seems simple enough. However, I am using an aluminum model PowerBook, not titanium. The hard drive in my system is located under my left wrist. I imagine this doesn't change much, but do you think removing the bottom cover is as easy as it seems for the titanium model? Also this drive is ATA, not IDE as mentioned in the video.

6. rick6502 macrumors member

While technically ATA and IDE are not really the same thing. For the purposes of hard drives they are. The only thing that you would avoid would be the SATA. Which is an entirely different animal.

As far as the notebook install goes, as far as I can tell it's not that different for the powerbook models. I once tried to take apart an iBook and that was not something I would go for. (It was just poking around someone else's iBook, and decided that I didn't want to explain what happened. Had it been my own, it would have come apart.)