Will This Internal work in this Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by idkfa, Apr 21, 2006.

1. idkfa macrumors regular

I think I have decided the way to go for an external hard drive for my laptop. Before I buy it, I would like to verify that the two components will, in fact, work together.

Here is the enclosure:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1337267&sku=V13-3212

And the Internal HD:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1642562&sku=THD-120A8

EDIT: I just realized that the HD is OEM... Back to the drawing board I guess...??

What if I change to this:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=586889&CatId=524

I am pretty set on getting the Nexstar 3 enclosure. I originally wanted to get an IcyBox or similar, but it would cost too much to ship it to me. However, if anyone can recommend a better hard drive, please do.

I know this has been done to death, but I really would like personal opinions before I buy.

Thanks.

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

It will work fine. And I would actually recommend OEM for hard drives. Basically it just means you won't get it in a retail box with, likely, an IDE cable (if they still even include those). But you wouldn't need the cable anyway because it's going in the enclosure. The warranty will still be for the same amount of time, which is the most important point.

It should work well. Just check the enclosure's documentation on how to set the jumpers on the hard drive. It may require cable select or it may require master setting. That's easy to deal with, in any case.

3. idkfa thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Is it worth paying an extra $10 to get the new retail seagate over the OEM?

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Not really, except if you want a pretty box. :D

6. idkfa thread starter macrumors regular

I think it would still be cheaper to go with TigerDirect over the other one, considering I am buying the enclosure from them, and it is in Canadian $$$. I am going to check out the specifics though...

EDIT:

They don't ship to Canada so I guess I will go with TigerDirect.

As long as they will work together, it's all good.

7. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Don't get a USB case, it transfers at 1/3 the speed of Firewire!

For $44 i'm sure you can find a FW case.

8. idkfa thread starter macrumors regular

I was waiting for that! :)

If it is actually that much better... I may have to.

Now I will have to find a place that has the Nexstar 3 FW+USB2.0. :(

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Woops! Sorry, missed the point you were in Canada.

10. idkfa thread starter macrumors regular

I hate to do this, but I am new to online buying, especially for computer parts. :eek:

I cannot find the Nexstar NST-360UF-BL in any of the canadian web stores; they onlt have the USB2.0 ones. Can someone, if you have time of course, help me find a place that sells them and ships to Canada? I may just have to go with the USB2.0 to avoid horrendous shipping costs.

11. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

So not true! The speed difference between the two is negligible across the full spectrum of uses unless you're regularly moving very large files (gigabytes) back and forth. Even then Firewire is nowhere near 3 times faster--under the very best conditions for Firewire, it's about 25% faster. For moving "normal" size files, there's no practical difference.

For $44, though, you can indeed find a Firewire enclosure if you have a personal preference.

12. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth