Will this Mac oppression EVER end???

Discussion in 'Community' started by settledown, Apr 8, 2004.

1. settledown macrumors regular

This quote was pulled from ESPN.COM today.

"We have detected that your system is not currently equipped to use ESPN Motion. A Mac OS X version is in development, but for now, if you would like to use ESPN Motion, you must be using a PC with Windows 98 or better."

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

This falls into the category of "Where are the most people at". At least they are making an effort to make a Mac compatible site as opposed to the many others that pretty much have said "F off, we don't care about Mac".

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

They have to cater to where their biggest audience is. As a Mac user in a Windows environment, I have to deal with this at work every day. There are certain things that I would be absolutely unwilling to do on anything but my Mac, but there are also certain things that I CAN'T do on my Mac. It's unfortunate but that's how it is.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Why don't they just keep to the standards? That way, they don't have to specifically support each and every browser and platform.

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I think that sticking to standards would mean less money in the long run. We have to remember greed, you know :rolleyes:

As for that "a Mac version is under development", I put that in the same category as f-off; it's just an excuse in my book. I'll believe it when I see it.

6. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

Maybe...later, but not too much later. Macs are kickin' some ass in the compatibility field lately.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Funny, when I go to espn.com it suddenly turns into http://msn.espn.go.com/

I think that answers your question. E-mail them, tell them they will no longer be using their site. They won't care, but it'll make you feel better.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

whenever i find a site like this, i just go to a competitor site, and use them... i figure, the first site doesn't want my traffic and banner clicks, fine. someone else gets them. Unless i find a site that i think is too cool to be using Real and should obviously be using quicktime, something of that nature, and i let them know. Like, nine inch nails is entirely Mac based (and proud of it), yet they didn't offer things in quicktime format for a long time? hm. at any rate, as things are standardized, this should get better-- before long, they'll need to go out of their way to make macs incompatable. which only MS will do, and of course msn.espn.go.com.

paul

9. Dros macrumors 6502

If they are asking for Windows 98 or better shouldn't OS X work, then? :D

10. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

if you look at the top right, it says... "brought to you by 'windows media center edition' " hmm... so if espn is in bed with MS, then ABC, and Disney must be too. Also, i was in bestbuy, and they had one of espn's sports guy's endorsing Bestbuy's HD tv's

11. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

ESPN has really annoyed me for a long time with this. There are a lot of sites that don't work well cross-browser, my bank, my college's online class registration. The school actually puts a huge warning saying that it won't work on OSX, then I try to login and it works? I dont get it, they have plenty of Mac labs to test the site on...

From my background in tech support and web design I have to admit that "we don't support ____" usually means, maybe we do, maybe we don't, we just don't have the equipment to test it on.

I really like ESPN aside from this shortcoming, I just think it's weird that they make you download a program to view some of their content. Wouldn't it work much better if it were standards compliant?

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Nermal

Uh, oh. Clarity. There's no place for that sort of thing here :D

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And Launch.com :mad:

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The stupidity of webmasters continues to amaze me.

15. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

My friend is a sports nut, he has his homepage set to espn.com in Safari on his TiBook. Everything seems to work quite nicely. Granted, I don't know what ESPN Motion is.

16. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

Go to ESPN.com and click on the motion tab on the front page