Will this man kill Linux?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Aug 31, 2003.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Full Article.

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If common sense had anything to do with anything then the guy's just pissing into the wind. On the other hand common sense seems to have very little to do with the US judicial system when it comes to IT

3. iDONTsteal macrumors newbie

IT vs. Judicial Bodies

Do they meld consistantly anywhere?

!

!

Not Really, NO.

:cool:

4. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

No he won't. SCO recently showed two samples of code at a presentation that are supposedly part of the alleged copyright infringements. If memory serves me correctly, the first piece was actually original U of Berkeley code that SCO reused (which is legal, but of course it means that Linux can use it, too). And the second piece was earlier published by SCO under the GPL.

Seems just like a mad Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt campaign to me.

5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

It seems to me to be the death cry of a failing company. SCO is going to spend the last of their resources on suing comanies instead of trying to reorganise the company in a more productive manner. Pathetic.

I, Cringly had some really good articles on this. They are on here.

6. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

But there is some sense.
    Look at the OJ Simpson trial. Some probably think the he did it but money got him off. So following this logic ...
    IBM (& others) vs SCO. Who has more $ ?
    Sad that it doesn't appear to have much to do with what is right or wrong!

So I don't see Linux having a problem. Linux is too big & too spread around.

7. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Actually, I've heard an interesting theory that OJ's son was the one that committed the murder. That would explain the similar DNA samples and undersized gloves. Until I was told this theory, I didn't even know he had a son.

Don't hold your breath, this guy wants royalties from Mac OS X too. I think Linux will prevail because the case is really far fetched and they are up against Sun and IBM.

8. SubGothius macrumors member

Atchelly, the latest from Cringely on this is right here -- hit the "Old Hat" button there for more back editions of Cringely's column, covering the development of the whole SCO vs. IBM/Linux travesty and even more geeky goodness. His take on the difference between Bill Gates and Steve Jobs is spot-on, and explains cogently why Apple's marketshare doesn't matter, and won't ever need to, in light of Steve's approach to running the company successfully.

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I still say it's a scam to jack up SCO's stock prices.

No one acts this stupid unless God or money is involved, in this case I'm inclined to say money is the cause.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Could you post a link to a story about the code samples? I'd love to see them. It seems the SCO execs have been unloading stock recently - can't mean they believe they have a very good case. It wouldn't suprise me if this is just an elaborate campaign, propped up by Microsoft money, to delay the adoption of Linux.