Will this memory work in my PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by illumin8, Nov 20, 2003.

1. illumin8 macrumors 6502

I was going to buy my memory from Crucial like everyone else, but I've never been a big fan of paying overinflated prices for memory, and I love buying from Newegg.com, they are the best if you're buying PC components, so I was pleased to see they are now carrying Notebook memory.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this memory is compatible with my PowerBook (G4 AlBook, 1.25 ghz.):

PMI 512MB PC2700 SO-DIMM

[​IMG]

It looks pin compatible (200 pin, non-ECC, PC2700), and it's way cheaper than Crucial, only $98.00 per stick with free shipping vs. $121.99 for the Crucial memory. I know everyone says "Buy Crucial" just because Apple uses them, but really folks, memory is memory and if it matches the specs and isn't a bad stick it will work just the same.

If anyone has recommendations on different memory to use please let me know.

Thanks!

edit -- Check this out if you want to see why Chinese companies are horrible at marketing to US consumers (different memory)... Who wants to buy regular memory when you can have the GOLD standard!? :D

Geil Golden Dragon memory

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

You can get either and they will work flawlessly. But, Id say go for that Gold Dragon RAM just because the PCB is that awesome gold color and you get that badass box along with.

3. beerguy macrumors regular

Re: Will this memory work in my PowerBook?

Mostly true. The ram you listed should work. I did notice that on my AlBook 15.2 RAM from a couple of "cheaper sources" was not stable. The RAM physically tested good. (software and hardware test) but caused all kind of kernel panics. I see the same thing on the Sun micro gear I make my living with.
    Tolerances are just as important as specs when if comes to RAM.

Try it, you have nothing to lose. I just gave up and bought Crucial because they sell quality RAM and I was tired of screwing around trying to save a couple bucks.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Heck, I think I could spend a few extra bucks and get that spiffy box. Fake velvet owns!

5. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Re: Will this memory work in my PowerBook?

I thought Apple got its RAM direct from Samsung? :confused:

6. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

7. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Will this memory work in my PowerBook?

I agree. Memory is not memory; there are different grades of components.

8. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Number one cause of kernel panics is poor quality ram. Crucial aren't THAT expensive compared to Techworks and Kingston and the like.

I go with Crucial every time.

9. kanker macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Will this memory work in my PowerBook?

They use RAM from both Micron and Samsung

10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I've got Samsung RAM in My PC, works a charm.

Anyway if you buy it and it's not stable, it's a warrenty issure with the RAM take it back show them it's unstable and they should swap it. It's a Win-Win situation.