Will this RAM work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Redneck1089, May 2, 2005.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Hi. Last Friday I purchased a dual 2 Ghz PowerMac that was on sale at my local mac dealership. I'd like to put a gig of ram into it...and I was wondering if the following will work on my computer:

Corsair 1024MB TwinX PC3200 Low Latency Dual Channel Kit w/ Platinum Heatspreader

Info::
    The TWINX1024-3200LL is a 1024 MByte matched memory pair specifically designed for motherboards using chip sets with dual memory channels. Current two-channel chip sets include the Nforce2 from Nvidia, the 875 and 865 from Intel. This memory kit consists of two CMX512A-3200LL 400MHz ultra-low-latency
    memory modules that have been tested together on an Nforce2-based dual-channel motherboard. Extra low latency settings maximize overall system performance when operating synchronously with the front side bus. TWINX memory kits are designed to provide the ultimate in performance and stability in dual channel boards.

Size::
    2 x 512MB, 1024MB Total

Speed::
    - PC3200
    - 400MHz
    - CL 2-3-2-6 timing

Pins::
    184 Pin DIMM

Thanks!

2. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

You should buy something specifically made for the Mac, such as:

http://tinyurl.com/8h8pm

No need for "heat spreaders" on a PowerMac; all those fans take care of that problem.

3. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I'm from Canada and the site only appears to be shipping their product out to places in the U.S..On the page that you linked me to there is another link that you're supposed to click on if you're outside of the US. When I clicked on it and specified the area in Canada which I am located, it just gave me a bunch of store names and phone numbers. I would prefer to make my purchase online, since I'm leaving town for a week and I would like to have the ram waiting for me when I get back. Any other suggestions?

I also found this site: http://www.memorydepot.biz/details.asp?id=SAP-1G/G5400

Could you please let me know what you think?

Thanks very much, I appreciate the help! :)

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Corsair TwinX and CMS RAM specifically does not work in Macs.

Plus there's absolutely no point in paying extra for low-latency RAM -- Apple states that the latency does not make a difference.

Pimento is right: Choose a seller that guarantees compatibility with your Mac. Kingston's KTA-series is good, but pricey

MemoryDepot is overpriced on their Apple RAM. They are selling Shikatronics brand RAM, which is a reliable company, but you should be paying CAN$200 or less for third party 1 Gb modules, not $278.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

5. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I've decided to hold off on purchasing more ram for my computer for a bit; however, I still have some more questions.

Why is Apple ram so much more expensive than third party ram?

Also, I was looking through an older issue of "Macworld," and I came across two adverts for memory upgrades. Each ad had a website at the bottom and I decided to check out what they have. Here are the links:

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...I=#TimeFormat(Now(),+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1125

Has anyone ordered from these two companies before, and is there any disadvantage to these types of ram compared to what Apple offers from their online store?

If I purchase ram from one of these websites can I use the new ram and my existing ram together?

Thanks!

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK OK, I'll come right out an say it.

Redneck, you're in Canada, so buy in Canada to avoid customs clearing and warranty shipping issues. I know a pretty good site ;)
    PM me if you want info.

To answer your previous question,
    Data Memory Systems are good people, been selling Mac RAM for 17 years.
    MacSales / OWC have been in the Mac business almost as long. Many people like them, some have complained here and elsewhere of restocking charges on returns.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com