Will this ram work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jer446, May 11, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Well, im proud to say, i just ordered last night a 20 inch iMac, stock, with applecare. Im going to use the 100 dollar mail in rebate on top of the education, and i got a free printer. Now i just need some more ram. I have one more slot left, so i will get another gig. Can anyone make any suggestions on good ram for it? http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ATT=Memory+System+Memory&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r
    WIll this ram work? I have rosewill ram in my pc right now and it seems pretty decent. Also can anyone point me to the apple tutorial on how to add ram to the imac. I only have done it on normal pc's.
  2. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2005
    Where do you go to get the free printer? Did you request it when you ordered?
  3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    you need to add it and then print the rebate..
  4. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    also will it slow down my comptuer because i have a 512 dimm and a gig? This will still be better than just buying another 512 right?
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The RAM might or might not work, no way to tell. NewEgg does NOT state that it is Mac compatible, and the iMac G5 is one of the touchiest systems Apple has made. The Mac requires settings beyond the basic "PC3200 2.5V CL2.5" specification.

Even if someone posted that it worked for them, there's no telling if you will get the same RAM brand/design when you order.

Mixing 1 Gb and 512 Mb will not slow your machine down. There is a theoretical speed up (128 bit access) if you put in matched pairs of 512 or 1 Gb, but practically I wouldn't worry about it.

I recommend that you buy RAM from a reputable seller that guarantees compatibility with your iMac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no charge return if it doesn't work. In the USA I like www.datamem.com. Other MR posters like Crucial.com (although I don't like their prices) or RAMJet.com