Will This RAM Work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ebook, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

3. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not advertised for the iMac, but had the same numbers as the Crucial RAM. So, maybe I'll hold off, but I just wanted to check because it's almost $50 less than Crucial.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You don't get to see all the numbers that are significant for compatibility. "PC3200 184 pin DDR DIMM 400 MHz" is not sufficient.
    It's like saying 'I bought pistons for my car, they should fit because they say "Ford" and I have a Ford'.

The Serial Presence Detect settings of the module are critical for compatibility, as is the row and column organization of the chips. THe lowest cost PC generic RAM Manufacturers often don't bother to set them to the JEDEC standard, or the RAM doesen't completely meet the standard, because most PCs are very forgiving and will run out of spec RAM.

Macs however require strict adherence, and the iMac G5 is the fussiest Mac made.

The only way to be sure RAM is compatible is if the seller tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac. They should also offer a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work (i.e. no restocking fees)

{PS. Please search the forums, we've covered this many times before.)

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

5. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I guess you learn something everyday. I would say that searching the site is not as easy as it would seem, and that I did try it. I guess I was just wondering if anyone had seen this RAM from TigerDirect because it was listed on dealmac.com. Thanks again ... guess I'll head over to Crucial.