Will this Rev.D of the pb g4 be the last rev?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by msharp, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. msharp macrumors regular

    msharp

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2004
    #1
    I mean, will this D revision of pb g4 be the last one as usual as other products?

    there are a lot of rumors about dual core g4 processor, and there are still a lot problems in pb g5, so will there be a Rev.E of pb g4 in order to lengthen the pb g4's life on the market?
     
  2. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #2
    If you need a new PowerBook, this is the best time to buy. It will be months before there is another update.

    Also, there are already some threads talking about what next for the PowerBook. The Forum Search function is your friend.
     
  3. Ugg macrumors 68000

    Ugg

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    Location:
    Penryn
    #3
    Personally I think it will be the last revision but..... In all reality who knows. Despite my thoughts, I went ahead and ordered a 12" and it shipped yesterday. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Obviously I'm biased but there's no sense in waiting who knows how long for something you need right now.
     
  4. zwida macrumors 6502a

    zwida

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Location:
    NYC
    #4
    Given that Apple has started a nasty habit of letting a year pass between product updates, I think it' a safe bet that you won't see a Rev E PB G4. I don't think the next G4 PowerBooks will qualify as a Rev of the existing line, nor do I think they're coming anytime soon. So yeah, you may get a first generation dual-core G4 PB (or some such), but I think this product line has just about run its course in its exisitng form.

    Now go buy that PowerBook. :)

    Oh yeah, sorry.
     
  5. kretzy macrumors 604

    kretzy

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2004
    Location:
    Canberra, Australia
    #5
    i think this is the last one. the next powerbook revision will have to be a big one. there's no way a pro-laptop line can stay the same for so long. my guess is something brand new by the end of this year. i can't be bothered waithing so i'm just going to order a 15'' with SD in the next few days.
     
  6. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #6
    I suspect the formfactor won't change much. The big thing might be a dual core G4 from Freescale.

    Oh, and you might want to bump the VRAM up to 128 megs since a lot of things seem to use vram for processing these days.
     
  7. Zaty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #7
    Will there be another G4-based PB? No one who isn't under an NDA can really answer that question.

    Will there be Rev. E Albooks? When it's time to update Rev. Ds, Albooks (at least 12" and 17" PBs) will have reached or even exceeded the normal production cycle. The only possibility for a Rev. E (in October) I can see would be if PB G5s (or dual core G4s) were ready for an announcement at MWSF 06. Since PBs sold badly in the holiday quarter, Apple might want to update the PBs in autumn this time. I guess hardly anyone would buy a Rev. D PB in November unless they were in desperate need of one.
     
  8. Lacero macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #8
    I love the current aluminum form factor. I can't imagine what sort of design change they could improve upon. I hope to see this form factor carry forward to the next revision be it to the G5 or dual core G4. I think we are due for another G4 revision in the next 6 months.
     
  9. Mord macrumors G4

    Mord

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2003
    Location:
    UK
  10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

    keysersoze

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    NH
    #10
    When's this?
     
  11. maya macrumors 68040

    maya

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    Location:
    somewhere between here and there.
    #11
    It is safe to say that there will be no rev E PowerBook G4, since Apple released these PowerBooks in late Jan 2005 for one reason only if the G5 is ready to go mobile you will see something 3rd or 4th Q 2005. The worst case is this rev will be running long till MWSF 2006. :)

    Apple is tooting the G5 all the best thing since slice bread and this is only a short coming due to IBM's difficulty. :)
     
  12. zwida macrumors 6502a

    zwida

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Location:
    NYC
    #12
    Apple Expo in Paris, 20 - 24 September 2005.
     
  13. jadam macrumors 6502a

    jadam

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2002
    #13

    Crap, that is so far away and I will already be starting my 2nd year of college by then............. I hope I can pull myself together and wait until they introduce the next revs of powerbooks. My ibook is starting to annoy me with its dead battery and broken ethernet port and all.

    Do any of you think maybe WWDC?
     
  14. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

    aafuss1

    Joined:
    May 5, 2002
    Location:
    Gold Coast, Australia
    #14
    Apple Expo Paris-usually August or September-Apple did release a PBG4 there two years ago.
     
  15. Zaty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #15

    Right, but if the worst case scenario becomes reality, what notebooks will they sell to pro customers? PBs that are a year old and will be replaced soon? So, PBs sales would go to zero for some time. Secondly, even if Apple announced PB Gs at MWSF 06, they wouldn't ship until February or March. Above all, demand for PBs will be soaring once they get a G5. Which will increase wait time for early adopters. It would be the iMac disaster all over again. That's why I say we'll see an update in September/October. This update will either be Rev. E AlBooks or something new.
     

Share This Page