Will this router work with both Mac & Pc as stand alone without sharing.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TheBunnellFarm, Dec 31, 2004.

1. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2003
    I just hooked up a Linskys BEFSR41 Version 2 Etherfast Cable/DSL "Router" with built in 4 port 10/100 switch for sharing high speed internet.

It is wired, not wireless.

"Can I just plug in my PowerMac with a catagory 6 Ethernet cable to the router" and "run the two computers as lone enities" without the ability to exchange data or use the same perifials.

I hope I can..and I hope I can add more computers, Apple and PC as lone enities too.

"I am about to take my "G5 2.5 Dually PowerMac" out of the box, my first Mac"

"Later on I will link some of these together, I am a brand new switcher.

and proud as punch...but I know almost nothing.
  2. mslifkin macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Mac world. They say "once you go Mac you never go back!", and I believe it. Congratulations on the new 2.5 Gig G5; I'm sure it's going to absolutely scream! Anyway, to answer your question, yes, just connect your G5 to one of the LANside ports on the router (your PC is probably connected to one of the other ports). Do this before you turn on the G5 for the first time. As you walk through the configuration on the G5, the ethernet connection will be detected, and you will configure that as well. Is the router configured as a DHCP server? (More than likely it is) It should work just fine.

Now, as to what you can do with this configuration:

Both the PC and the PowerMac will have access to the Internet
    You will be able to mount drives on your PC from the PowerMac and read from /write to them.

Mac OS X is a fantastic operating system, and just wait until you start digging into iLife 04. I think you're going to be very impressed! Good luck, and have a very Happy New Year (it sounds like you're off to a flying start!)

PS this was my 100th post! Made it before the year ended!
  3. TheBunnellFarm thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2003

That is good news, I was hoping everything would work.

No doubt the G5 will go online after midnight tonight or tomorrow for sure.

I am very much looking forward to iLife...a whole world is opening up to me.

Babo Productions is the name of my company. DVD-Digital Studios

Documentaries for PBS

Documentaries for my war against drugs.

Adult-Americans-Against-Marijuana-and-Amphetamines.com & aaama.org

Student-Americans-Against-Marijuana-and-Amphetamines.com & saama.org

Thank You
    Tom Bunnell
  4. frozenstar macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    Yeah, that's a pretty simple setup you've got. Chances are that all you'll have to do is hook up the ethernet cables. Everything should work smoothly right away. In case it doesn't, it's always good to try shutting off the cable/dsl modem and the router; then bring the cable/dsl modem online (wait 'till it establishes a connection); and then power up the router. Good luck.
    Oh, and what's wrong with pot?
  5. TheBunnellFarm thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2003

That's what I was hoping.

So much is wrong with pot, that it is impossible to describe in short form.
    See: TheBunnellFarm.com

Thanks for your help, I will use the power up you described if I have any problems.

The help you people provide is priceless, from all of us newbys that you all so patiently help...Happy New Year and may your rewards be many..
    Thank You, Tom